Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Replacement Benefit when Wi-Fi is included in resort fee

Old Feb 19, 19, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

LoyaltyLobby recently posted a, "Marriott Bonvoy: Benefits at a Glance Chart."

In that chart, under, "Enhanced Wi-Fi," it states, "Replacement benefit offered if Wi-Fi is included in a resort fee."

Has anyone ever utilized this, "replacement benefit?"
Old Feb 19, 19, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
I have used it at the Westin in Grand Cayman, the choice was some points or upgrade from continental breakfast to buffet. My understanding is that it is property specific.
Old Feb 19, 19, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Never knew the benefit existed. The points I have lost! Need to try it next time I get the opportunity.
Old Feb 19, 19, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
I do believe it is up to the individual hotel to "decide" what the alternative is. So it will probably be different for every hotel.
Old Feb 19, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
You probably did not loose on anything; I never had to ask for it. Properties offering something will mention it to during check-in. The choices are normally along the lines of free parking, some daily voucher for food and beverages, upgrade to buffet breakfast or points.
Old Feb 19, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by yultraveler View Post
You probably did not loose on anything; I never had to ask for it. Properties offering something will mention it to during check-in. The choices are normally along the lines of free parking, some daily voucher for food and beverages, upgrade to buffet breakfast or points.
I have used this to get rid of the pesky destination fees at the Maxwell NYC.
Old Feb 19, 19, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
legacy Starwood thread under Alternative Plat Amenity or something similar phrase-wise

but like everything Marriott is touching I'm guessing this benefit bites the dust too
estnet, ajamieson, Fizzer and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The provision is still alive and well. Exercising it sometimes takes a bit of education and/or prodding. I've received points, a resort fee discount or a substantial food arrival gift.

Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions
Section 1.3.c.v. Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include Internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property’s discretion.
Old Feb 19, 19, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Is it really worth the hassle to chase this?
Old Feb 19, 19, 10:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Collierkr View Post
That all depends on the property and what they offer as the alternative.
Old Feb 19, 19, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Anyone had luck utilizing this benefit when on a reward stay? I have an upcoming award stay with both a resort fee and a high required valet parking charge. I emailed the property asking if they’d be willing to waive the resort fee due to my Platinum Elite status and they said no. Now I’m wondering if I could point to this for waving parking or some other benefit.
Old Feb 19, 19, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Originally Posted by Collierkr View Post
Well, if the hotel charges $65/night to offer me nothing I think it is! (eg I get wifi, breakfast, etc by status)
Old Feb 19, 19, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman View Post
Anyone had luck utilizing this benefit when on a reward stay? I have an upcoming award stay with both a resort fee and a high required valet parking charge. I emailed the property asking if they’d be willing to waive the resort fee due to my Platinum Elite status and they said no. Now I’m wondering if I could point to this for waving parking or some other benefit.
The Bonvoy benefit seems to specifically refer to wifi which is included in the resort fee. IIRC the SPG rule was broader in that it concerned elite benefits included in resort (or destination etc.) fees and required the property to offer an alternative amenity of equivalent value.

That was SPG and this is now, so YMMV. I really don't expect Bonvoy to do anything to enforce this.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
Well, if the hotel charges $65/night to offer me nothing I think it is! (eg I get wifi, breakfast, etc by status)
On top of that, the T&Cs say the property should offer replacement benefit. If people dont make the property aware of this thing exists, the property either never know or knowing it can get away with it.

It is up to the customer to defend his entitlement, sadly this is seemingly how the Bonvoy is being run.
KRSW and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alternative amenity benefit looks good on paper yet it is rarely delivered in reality. I have given up chasing this elusive benefit. Most FDA have no idea what I was talking about and kept saying I could choose between point/breakfast/local gift.

I filed complaint a few times, the result was an email from management showing the list of amenities covered by resort fees and advised that all guests pays the same fees. I wish others have better luck. I just paid $55x5 and $38x3 resorts fees in the past week and no alternative amenity was provided.

Last edited by TerryK; Feb 20, 19 at 9:07 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: