Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Replacement Benefit when Wi-Fi is included in resort fee

Replacement Benefit when Wi-Fi is included in resort fee

Old Feb 28, 19, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I believe IHG Kimpton waives the resort fee on award stays as well, at least for elites.

In this case, I would politely but firmly say something along the lines of "I hate to be that guy, but if I'm going to pay a resort fee, I'd like to show you the terms and conditions section that covers the issue (pasted cut of that section as a phone document)."
Old Feb 28, 19, 7:13 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
A few years ago a hotel adamantly denied that there was a replacement needed - at the time spg property. I emailed ?customer service - who sent me the relevant text and sent it to the hotel also - who after a few more annoying conversations - finally admitted they had to do something and made a token gesture to give me something (can't remember exactly).
Their attitude and the fact that they continued to deny the benefit to others after my experience, coupled with the fact that the "resort fee" included things like towels at the pool led me to NEVER stay at the hotel again. IIRC it was $35 at the time and is now ?$65/day.
Westin Cayman Island (btw everyone there was really nice except the front desk and the pool boys who were supposed to hand out towels and assist with chairs as part of the fee - they were never to be found and made faces and sighed if asked to do anything)
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I believe IHG Kimpton waives the resort fee on award stays as well, at least for elites.

In this case, I would politely but firmly say something along the lines of "I hate to be that guy, but if I'm going to pay a resort fee, I'd like to show you the terms and conditions section that covers the issue (pasted cut of that section as a phone document)."
I was curious to see at my stay at the RC - Key Biscayne (I checked in last night) and mentioned this benefit, at first the FD supervisor wasn't aware of this, excused himself and brought back a copy of the T&C's. After of couple of minutes, he looked up and said, well thank you for pointing this out. Seems my initial thought was wrong, I'm going to waive the resort fee for your stay and pass this along to management.

Personally, I wasn't about to get into a full blown discussion if he came back stating I was wrong, ( I had the specific section on my phone) but at times, you just need to speak up to keep things honest.
bhrubin and happychic like this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Here's how the Westin Fort Lauderdale handled this, when I complained:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30884724-post147.html

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 20, 19 at 10:43 am Reason: link
Old Mar 19, 19, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The Cadillac Hotel & Beach Club, Autograph Collection in Miami Beach told me they would give me a beach tote bag as the replacement amenity.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Here's how the Westin Fort Lauderdale handled this, when I complained:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30883823-post46.html
link doesnt work
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
link doesnt work
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30884724-post147.html
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:06 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
I believe it was after a 2012 FTC warning that Starwood implemented a very transparent listing of resort fees in each rate that included a clickable/collapsable line that showed details of what that fee included - including taxes on the fee. Since the August 18th, 2018 conversion to Marriott, that disappeared, with many SPG properties not even having the little blue line that notes a general announcement of fees at the top of any property specific search results. I can only speculate if what appears to be primitive technology Marriott uses for their website is the reason or if Marriott willingly chooses to withhold that information from their customers, but this is another instance were SPG members have lost transparency and access to information that was previously available. Seeing wifi listed in that detail was something that helped make the case for the 'alternative amenity' at SPG resorts. It baffles me that legacy/pre-merger Marriott customers are ok with such vague information on marriott.com.
I seem to see the resort fees more prominently posted as of late...BUT parking fees are still absolutely buried on the websites. I'm finding them almost to the bottom of the Maps page for the particular hotel's website. Perhaps someone's found a better way to find this information? Either way, I think it should be posted front & center. I do take screen shots of the bookings these days for 1) Confirmation even if Marriott's system fails to work, at least I have proof that I did what I was supposed to do. 2) Rate detail, since this isn't e-mailed or found anywhere else, 3) Have evidence of what was advertised when I booked.
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:22 am

I never knew this! Very useful!