Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Replacement Benefit when Wi-Fi is included in resort fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacement Benefit when Wi-Fi is included in resort fee

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I believe IHG Kimpton waives the resort fee on award stays as well, at least for elites.

In this case, I would politely but firmly say something along the lines of "I hate to be that guy, but if I'm going to pay a resort fee, I'd like to show you the terms and conditions section that covers the issue (pasted cut of that section as a phone document)."
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
A few years ago a hotel adamantly denied that there was a replacement needed - at the time spg property. I emailed ?customer service - who sent me the relevant text and sent it to the hotel also - who after a few more annoying conversations - finally admitted they had to do something and made a token gesture to give me something (can't remember exactly).
Their attitude and the fact that they continued to deny the benefit to others after my experience, coupled with the fact that the "resort fee" included things like towels at the pool led me to NEVER stay at the hotel again. IIRC it was $35 at the time and is now ?$65/day.
Westin Cayman Island (btw everyone there was really nice except the front desk and the pool boys who were supposed to hand out towels and assist with chairs as part of the fee - they were never to be found and made faces and sighed if asked to do anything)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I believe IHG Kimpton waives the resort fee on award stays as well, at least for elites.

In this case, I would politely but firmly say something along the lines of "I hate to be that guy, but if I'm going to pay a resort fee, I'd like to show you the terms and conditions section that covers the issue (pasted cut of that section as a phone document)."
I was curious to see at my stay at the RC - Key Biscayne (I checked in last night) and mentioned this benefit, at first the FD supervisor wasn't aware of this, excused himself and brought back a copy of the T&C's. After of couple of minutes, he looked up and said, well thank you for pointing this out. Seems my initial thought was wrong, I'm going to waive the resort fee for your stay and pass this along to management.

Personally, I wasn't about to get into a full blown discussion if he came back stating I was wrong, ( I had the specific section on my phone) but at times, you just need to speak up to keep things honest.
KRSW, bhrubin and happychic like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Here's how the Westin Fort Lauderdale handled this, when I complained:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30884724-post147.html

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Mar 20, 2019 at 10:43 am Reason: link
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The Cadillac Hotel & Beach Club, Autograph Collection in Miami Beach told me they would give me a beach tote bag as the replacement amenity.
Intl359Widget and davidd418 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Here's how the Westin Fort Lauderdale handled this, when I complained:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30883823-post46.html
link doesnt work
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mysterym
link doesnt work
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30884724-post147.html
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I believe it was after a 2012 FTC warning that Starwood implemented a very transparent listing of resort fees in each rate that included a clickable/collapsable line that showed details of what that fee included - including taxes on the fee. Since the August 18th, 2018 conversion to Marriott, that disappeared, with many SPG properties not even having the little blue line that notes a general announcement of fees at the top of any property specific search results. I can only speculate if what appears to be primitive technology Marriott uses for their website is the reason or if Marriott willingly chooses to withhold that information from their customers, but this is another instance were SPG members have lost transparency and access to information that was previously available. Seeing wifi listed in that detail was something that helped make the case for the 'alternative amenity' at SPG resorts. It baffles me that legacy/pre-merger Marriott customers are ok with such vague information on marriott.com.
I seem to see the resort fees more prominently posted as of late...BUT parking fees are still absolutely buried on the websites. I'm finding them almost to the bottom of the Maps page for the particular hotel's website. Perhaps someone's found a better way to find this information? Either way, I think it should be posted front & center. I do take screen shots of the bookings these days for 1) Confirmation even if Marriott's system fails to work, at least I have proof that I did what I was supposed to do. 2) Rate detail, since this isn't e-mailed or found anywhere else, 3) Have evidence of what was advertised when I booked.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:22 am

I never knew this! Very useful!
Old May 5, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Just checked out of the JW Desert Ridge after a 5 night stay. I had to fight with the front desk both arriving and departing for points. Ended up with 1k total.

This is whole process is so consumer unfriendly and really mars what was an otherwise A+++ stay.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I am staying at the Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach resort. I was told at check in that the resort fee included free bottles of water & high speed internet. I asked for an alternative amenity. I am as told that they do not offer an alternative amenity. I checked into my room, in packed & stopped by the front deadline while leaving for dinner. I asked to have a manager call me. I received a call in about 15 minutes. I explained my position & he gave me a credit of $30 per room. I was staying two night. I had two rooms. The resort fee was $20 per night per room. In the end, I was okay with paying a total of $20 for the resort fee. We used the beach chairs and umbrellas on both days so I definitely got a decent value.
EdV and davidd418 like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewstahl
I am staying at the Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach resort...............I explained my position & he gave me a credit of $30 per room. I was staying two night. I had two rooms. The resort fee was $20 per night per room...........
You made out like a bandit. Alternative amenity is only applicable for your room even if you have second room booked. Hence, you paid $20 resort fee but received $30 credit.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:09 pm

Staying at the Adolphus in Dallas where I think the resort fee is new. I asked them about an alternative amenity since the WiFi is included in their $15 resort fee and they were baffled. I chatted with them on the app and their response was “as an autograph collection hotel we offer the internet as part of our amenity program” followed by them doing a one time courteous and waving the fee for me. I was going to provide them with the section of the T&Cs but decided it wasn’t worth pushing it.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:19 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Marriott Waikiki, Hawaii

For Marriott Waikiki when I first inquired they were quite baffled about this. Had claims of offering me (one of the following over course of discussion): 1) Points on the Resort Fee (Okay with me!), 2) Upgraded continental breakfast to full breakfast, 3) Extra points for my stay, 4) None of the above

In the end they told me it was #1 ) that I'd earn points on the resort fee itself ($37/day so I was good with that). Of course when that didn't happen after I checked out I was annoyed. My next stay (2 weeks later) they still didn't seem to know what was going on but after talking with manager they offered me 1k points per stay as a benefit for this. Basically I could choose breakfast as my Plat gift (which was full breakfast, no continental only bit here) and still get my 1k extra points per stay. Not the best benefit but at least something. They claimed that this would be the offer going forward.... of course they added in if someone asked. Guess it would kill them to proactively offer that.
davidd418 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:20 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
The Moana Surfrider Waikiki (and I think some of the other SPG Waikiki properties, but not sure) used to give 250 SPG points/night automatically to address the wifi in resort fee issue. I stayed there recently and no similar credit has come through this time ... it used to post a few days after the stay but that doesn't seem to typically be how stay-related points post under the Marriott points engine, so I'm not optimistic.

But, they may also have just found a way around this issue, in that there is now "basic" wifi included in the resort fee and "enhanced" wifi for $3 a day, or free for higher-level elites. So I guess I get to save the whole $3 .... It's such little money that it would almost seem not to be worth bothering except to avoid needing to offer another benefit to elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.