Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG was 1:1 , now it is 2:1 even though the points have

Old Feb 19, 19, 11:13 am
Original Poster

one third the value?

Sorry for asking something I assume has been answered many times, I tried to do a search but I am now asking.

Did my SPG/AMEX points on my SPG account get tripled when changed to Marriott or BonVoy?

Why arent my AMEX points, each dollar spent, not being tripled when applied to BonVoy? Seems like they are being doubled.

Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by randys1 View Post
one third the value?

Sorry for asking something I assume has been answered many times, I tried to do a search but I am now asking.

Did my SPG/AMEX points on my SPG account get tripled when changed to Marriott or BonVoy?
Yes.

Why arent my AMEX points, each dollar spent, not being tripled when applied to BonVoy? Seems like they are being doubled.

Thanks.
What Amex card do you have? US Amex Membership Rewards Points transfer to Bonvoy at a 1:1 ratio. The Bonvoy Brilliant Amex earns 2 points per dollar of non-bonus spend.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
Yes.

What Amex card do you have? US Amex Membership Rewards Points transfer to Bonvoy at a 1:1 ratio. The Bonvoy Brilliant Amex earns 2 points per dollar of non-bonus spend.
I dont know which card. Marriott BonVoy is what it says on AMEX billing site.

My January to February statement shows purchases of $1755.00. Statement balance of $119.00. The points I got for that period are +3,188 Points. Similar ratio for the month before.

Month before $2483 spent $27 balance and points were 4862.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The earn on the base AMEX card was cut by one third (from 1 SPG to 2 Marriott). This was discussed at great length when the charges were announced. It's no longer an attractive card for daily spend.

Letís talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:44 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
SPG points ceased to exist last August (2018). At that time SPG accounts were converted to Marriott accounts and the points tripled. All points earned or in one's accounts since that time have been Marriott points.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
The former SPG Amex card (now Bonvoy Amex vanilla) earns 2 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar spend. It was 1 SPG point up until August x, the date of the end of the SPG program. Those old points were transferrable into Bonvoy points at a 1:3 ratio.

So yes, the SPG Amex earning rate was devalued by 33%
paris1000 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
The former SPG Amex card (now Bonvoy Amex vanilla) earns 2 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar spend. It was 1 SPG point up until August x, the date of the end of the SPG program. Those old points were transferrable into Bonvoy points at a 1:3 ratio.

So yes, the SPG Amex earning rate was devalued by 33%
OK, thanks.

So assuming I dont want to spend $450 a year for a fee, the current card is the BEST I can do for Marriott points, right?

I will soon no longer need these points and will want United miles and will look at another Explorer card or whatever, i.e. what is the best way to get united or Alaska miles as those will be the two airlines that fly out of the new city we are moving to. But for now if this is the best I can do for Marriott then so be it, thanks.
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OK, thanks.
So assuming I dont want to spend $450 a year for a fee, the current card is the BEST I can do for Marriott points, right?
Yes, and you do earn 6x for Marriott spend, which is a decent return.

They Hyatt card is probably the best basic hotel card right now.
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, and you do earn 6x for Marriott spend, which is a decent return.

They Hyatt card is probably the best basic hotel card right now.
Just upgraded today wit AMEX. I spend anywhere between 110-130 night year with Starwood..er I mean Marriott and live my life on that AMEX. Last year around 130K in purchases. With the potential $300 yearly credit it makes sense for me.
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
OK, thanks.

I will soon no longer need these points and will want United miles and will look at another Explorer card or whatever, i.e. what is the best way to get united or Alaska miles as those will be the two airlines that fly out of the new city we are moving to. But for now if this is the best I can do for Marriott then so be it, thanks.
Although the points on daily spend on an SPG Amex (Bonvoy Amex) are effectively worth only two thirds of what they were before August 18, 2018, and the points on hotel spend have effectively remained the same, the annual renewal benefit has improved considerably.

Getting a 35,000-point hotel night e-certificate every year is a terrific new benefit. Also, if you have no other Chase Bonvoy or Amex Bonvoy credit card, you get 15 nights toward elite qualification (and lifetime status) every year for the $95 annual fee.

Whether the new or old benefits are better depends on your annual spend amount. Of course, we don't get a choice.
Old Feb 19, 19, 2:08 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Although the points on daily spend on an SPG Amex (Bonvoy Amex) are effectively worth only two thirds of what they were before August 18, 2018, and the points on hotel spend have effectively remained the same, the annual renewal benefit has improved considerably.

Getting a 35,000-point hotel night e-certificate every year is a terrific new benefit. Also, if you have no other Chase Bonvoy or Amex Bonvoy credit card, you get 15 nights toward elite qualification (and lifetime status) every year for the $95 annual fee.

Whether the new or old benefits are better depends on your annual spend amount. Of course, we don't get a choice.
I think upgrading to the brilliant bonvoy is probably best for most people, and if you get the 100,000 point upgrade offer its a no brainer. $450 annual fee but you get $300 back as a credit for any marriot spend which leaves you with a free night cert for any hotel up to 50k points. The card really does pay for itself assuming you use it a couple of times a year at marriot properties.
Old Feb 19, 19, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
OK, thanks.

Depending on your spending patterns, the Chase Sapphire Reserve might be an attractive card. You earn Ultimate Rewards points which can be transferred to UA 1:1. For travel and dining spend (airfare, hotels, rental cars, etc. plus restaurants including fast food) you earn three points (and thus 3 UA miles) per dollar. Other spend gives you one UR point (and thus one mile) per dollar. Annual fee is $450 but you get $300 back for travel spend. So net fee is $150 which is a little cheaper than getting both the standard Chase Marriott and Chase UA cards.

The UA card give double miles on UA and at hotels and restaurants (but not rental cars) and one mile per dollar on other spend. The Marriott card give 6x points at Marriott which can work out to 2.5 miles per dollar (25K UA miles when you transfer 60,000 points) and, as you've discovered, two points per dollar (less than one miles per dollar) on other spend. Obviously there are other benefits associated with all these cards but the bottom line is if you really want just UA points, the best deal for earning may actually be the Chase Sapphire Reserve because you can fly any airline and stay at any hotel and earn three UA miles per dollar spent (though spreading your spend around may affect earning status which has other benefits).
paris1000 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: