Concierge gifts

Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Concierge gifts

occasionally I have a need to use a hotels concierge prior to an arrival. When I do I typically like to bring the concierge a small ‘thank you’ gift. - nothing fancy, usually a small box of chocolates or nuts as a small token of my appreciation.

I’m leaving for a week long stay Thursday and just learned my concierge is allergic to both chocolate and nuts. He is a very pleasant gentleman and has done a fine job.

i thought this forum would be an excellent place to ask, - any ideas for a small gift??

thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:25 am

Just tip him for the additional service he was able to provide you. That way he will be able to buy whatever nonallergenic food he feels like having.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Sensible answers will really depend on what country this concierge is in. If in the US, I would concur that a tip would probably be most appreciated. Not so in many other countries.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A concierge is generally a "tippable" employee. So, whatever local culture is as to tipping follow the same process for a hotel concierge.

Especially in the case of properties which you frequent, having someone you take care of on a regular basis can be a real advantage when you want to book "that" table at "that" restaurant.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Cash is king. Tip in cash.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
Cash. Absolutely
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If everyone gives the concierge chocolates or nuts, how would the person ever eat all those goodies? Most people prefer to get the money and buy what they want. Plus, there can be a perceived risk in consuming foods that might not be in a presealed container.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Whether you give cash or a gift all depends on whether you want to build a personal relationship with the concierge or not.
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
What's the guideline for tipping concierges?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
What's the guideline for tipping concierges?
It depends on the type of hotel, the location, and what the concierge does for you. Anything special that requires a lot of time/effort or that builds on personal connections of the concierge deserves a larger tip. You don't tip for very basic things, like answering a simple question.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If everyone gives the concierge chocolates or nuts, how would the person ever eat all those goodies? Most people prefer to get the money and buy what they want. Plus, there can be a perceived risk in consuming foods that might not be in a presealed container.
In one hotel in which I worked, this was the procedure:
  • All gifts of food were graciously accepted.
  • A remark of the kind gesture was added to the guest's file.
  • A supervisor or manager would send a hand-written thank you note to the room (or email if the guest had departed).
  • The gift (presealed or not) would go straight into the trash.
Personally, I thought that last step was overkill. But, that all happened under a General Manager who was a bit obsessed with liability.

To answer the OP's question, I'd vote for a tip or a compliment letter. Don't underestimate the value of a compliment letter. People who work as Concierge tend to stick around in the industry. It can be a career and not just a job. A compliment letter can prove helpful when trying to get a promotion or when applying for a job at another hotel.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:35 am

Definitely a big difference whether OP is in a gifting culture or a cash culture...most of these posts would not fly in Japan...
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. FYI and I probably should have included it in the original post. The Ritz Batchelor Gulch in Colorado is where we’re headed.
We have been before and we will most likely return another year.

Looks like Cash is the clear winner.!.! to make it a little more personal we’ll put it in well written greeting card.

-happy skiing for those that make it out this year!!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:06 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
A 100.00 USD bill usually works
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by RZR
A 100.00 USD bill usually works
It depends on what the concierge does for you. It's tacky to overtip.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.