FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   2 Elites staying in the same room (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1956835-2-elites-staying-same-room.html)

Dave510 Feb 17, 2019 7:15 pm

2 Elites staying in the same room

If an Ambassador and a Gold elite stay in the same room, is it possible for the Gold elite to earn the qualifying nights while getting Ambassador benefits?

myperks Feb 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510 (Post 30790961)
If an Ambassador and a Gold elite stay in the same room, is it possible for the Gold elite to earn the qualifying nights while getting Ambassador benefits?

IME, you can switch a revenue stay rewards number no problem AFTER you check in with the Ambassador member to get all the benefits however that cannot be done (or at least I haven’t been able to get it done) for an Ambassador guest-made reward stay and switching at check out to someone else to get qualifying credit. Having said that, if the gold made the award reservation, and the ambassador shows up with the gold, then it’s up to the hotel to grant benefits.

Mr. Vker Feb 17, 2019 7:39 pm

I don't believe so. They won't care who's number is on the reservation, but Gold gets Gold. Now, that's the rules. You may have success talking to the property directly. In the old system, a couple of times my wife(silver) held the reservation due to business travel. I was Plat and they still gave my plat benefits as a courtesy.

RafKa Feb 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510 (Post 30790961)

Yes. Check in under the plat member and then switch the numbers at checkout, with the gold member settling the bill.

clublounger Feb 18, 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by RafKa (Post 30791236)
Yes. Check in under the plat member and then switch the numbers at checkout, with the gold member settling the bill.

You could, but would be violating the rules: (bolding and blue coloring mine)

2.1.d. Qualifying Stay. A “Stay" or “Qualifying Stay” means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property, for which the room is billed to the Member.

i. A “Stay” is a stay of one or more consecutive nights at the same Participating Property by a Member who: (A) provides his/her Membership Number at the time of reservation or at check-in; (B) pays a Qualifying Rate or redeems a Points redemption Award or a promotional Award for the stay; and (C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms. If a Member checks out of a guest room and then checks back in to a guest room at the same Participating Property within 24 hours, it will count as a single stay for purposes of calculating Stays and issuing Member benefits. A Member may only earn Points for up to three (3) guest rooms during any Stay if he/she stays in one of the reserved guest rooms and pays a Qualifying Rate or redeems a Points redemption Award or a promotional Award for all of the guest rooms.

ii. A “Qualifying Stay” is a credit pursuant to these Program Rules that counts toward earning Elite Night Credit. Members will only earn credit for each Qualifying Night which is part of a Stay at a Qualifying Rate (as described in 2.1.e.), for the guest room the Member personally pays for and stays in, and not for any additional guest rooms. Members do not receive Elite Night Credit on stays at Non-Qualifying Rates (see 2.1.f.).

iii. Members cannot earn or receive benefits at multiple Participating Properties for the same stay date(s).

iv. Only one Member per guest room can earn Points/Miles and Elite Night Credit, as well as receive benefits. If there is more than one Member staying in the same guest room, the Members must decide upon check-in whose Membership Number will be applied to the guest room provided it is the same Member who will be paying the bill.

RafKa Feb 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger (Post 30793358)
You could, but would be violating the rules: (bolding and blue coloring mine)

iv. Only one Member per guest room can earn Points/Miles and Elite Night Credit, as well as receive benefits. If there is more than one Member staying in the same guest room, the Members must decide upon check-in whose Membership Number will be applied to the guest room provided it is the same Member who will be paying the bill.

I guess the T&Cs might have changed to explicitly exclude that possibility. Back in the SPG days I have been asked a number of times at checkout if a switch was required...

SkiAdcock Feb 19, 2019 8:26 pm

My guess, and it's only that, is there are the rules & then there's real life practice. Some hotels will probably make the switch w/o comment & others might uphold the rule. The problem is, without calling, you won't know which is which.

Cheers.