Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Using e-certs for consecutive nights under different names

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle

My family members have 3 expiring e-certs and I'd like to use them for an upcoming trip to HK. Has anyone had any issues using e-certs under different names for three consecutive nights at the same hotel? I will add my name under each reservation as secondary guest but saying the primary guest will be arriving much later may be difficult for consecutive nights. I can alternatively book alternating properties but it will be a hassle moving from one hotel to another.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
You can book consec nights under the cert holders. I'd email the property and tell them you are all the same party so you won't have to move. Shouldn't be a problem. Are you saying the cert holders are not traveling with you? That will be a problem as they are supposed to be with you.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
You can book consec nights under the cert holders. I'd email the property and tell them you are all the same party so you won't have to move. Shouldn't be a problem. Are you saying the cert holders are not traveling with you? That will be a problem as they are supposed to be with you.
That's correct. They are not traveling with me. I've done this in the past successfully by having the cert holder add my name to the reservation for a single night reservation but not for consecutive nights under different cert holders.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
That will be a problem as they are supposed to be with you.
That's what I always thought as well but I just checked the T&C's for the e-cert and it just says it can't be "transferred"... It doesn't explicitly say you can't use for someone else, just that you can't transfer it. The argument could be made that transfer implies changing ownership not utilization... It may be semantics but I think it bears some looking into. Not sure I'd gamble on a stay in HK without resolution but it intrigued me because my daughter and friends are going to Disneyland this weekend and it would be a convenient use for a couple of mine if I could make them work...

Maybe the lurker could clarify...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

In my experience, the official answer has been that the cert holder 'should' be present. However, the hotel allows you to add additional guests under the reservation which makes it possible to check in without the cert holder being present. This has generally not been an issue as at the end of the day, the hotel is getting paid for the room and a listed guest under the reservation has checked in.

davidsc111 - since the reservation would be under your name only, I don't believe your daughter would run into any issues as there only needs to be contact with the front desk at check in. If they ask any questions, she could simply say you are arriving later.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akhillese
In my experience, the official answer has been that the cert holder 'should' be present. However, the hotel allows you to add additional guests under the reservation which makes it possible to check in without the cert holder being present. This has generally not been an issue as at the end of the day, the hotel is getting paid for the room and a listed guest under the reservation has checked in.

davidsc111 - since the reservation would be under your name only, I don't believe your daughter would run into any issues as there only needs to be contact with the front desk at check in. If they ask any questions, she could simply say you are arriving later.
Have you done this at Hong Kong hotels?

My recollection is, they want the IDs for All Guests on the reservation at check in. We have stays at JWM, SkyCity, Ren and CY Sha Tin.
They all wanted to take copy of the ID of each guest whose name on the reservation - the ID can be the passport or the HKID. In fact even with the stays were in one name but we check in as a couple, they still want the IDs for both of us - the ID of the guest the reservation is booked under, and the ID of the guest who would be staying as well but the name not on the reservation, i.e. spouse.

In US and Canada, the ID check isn't that restrictive though some properties mentioned that when the guest whose name the reservation was made under, to just drop in to show ID proof but they often forgot about it later.

International properties are far more vigilant about ID Proof, part of it due to local regulation, part of it to prevent fraud, esp when selling award rooms is rampant in mainland China.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 18, 2019 at 5:56 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think the OP has a problem. It's one thing to do it in US hotels which are pretty lax, but my understanding from posts on FT is that Asia properties are MUCH more strict on the rules, as mentioned above. If I were the OP I'd work on Plan B re: the stay in HKG & think about using the certs elsewhere. Otherwise the OP is opening up his family members/friends to a whole lot of mess in a different country & he won't be there to sort it out.

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Happy
Have you done this at Hong Kong hotels?
I have, at an IHG hotel in Hong Kong. Friend made the reservation, I was the second guest. First friend couldn't make it. I was there with another friend and we didn't have any issues. YMMV.

However, my friend's name wasn't changing on the reservation every night. OP has a different issue to deal with here.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:10 pm

Call up Marriott and get the booking to be made fully in the person’s name who will be staying, not added as the second guest.
I’ve had different experiences with this and whether agents can do it.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the insight and perspectives. I have not done this in HK at a Marriott property but may play it safe this time around.

I phoned both Marriott and the hotel in question (Renaissance). Firstly, the e-cert cannot be transferred. In addition, the first US-based Marriott agent said adding a name could not be done. However, I phoned back in and the second agent not only added a second name to the remarks, but even requested the separate reservations to be joined so as to keep the same room. I phoned the hotel and the local reservation agent confirmed the secondary name in the remarks would not be an issue for check in but confirmed explicitly with me that the e-cert holder is indeed staying. This strategy may work for one night but may be more difficult for consecutive nights and unlikely worth the hassle. However, Mobile Check-In and Key functions could facilitate this if the hotel is equipped... If anyone has tried this, would appreciate the feedback for future.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by potm
Call up Marriott and get the booking to be made fully in the person’s name who will be staying, not added as the second guest.
I’ve had different experiences with this and whether agents can do it.
The certs aren't transferable, which is why he's doing the 2nd name thing. How do you (generic you) propose the OP get around that?

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have, at an IHG hotel in Hong Kong. Friend made the reservation, I was the second guest. First friend couldn't make it. I was there with another friend and we didn't have any issues. YMMV.

However, my friend's name wasn't changing on the reservation every night. OP has a different issue to deal with here.
IHG reservation form has a place to add Additional Guest on the form and you can actually print it out - same as HH.
With Marriott you have to call to add a second guest.

Agree that for one single night it may not be an issue but for changing different primary guest name everynight, it could be an issue, primarily due to there are lots of award room selling in Greater China. This makes the hotel suspicious.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:28 am

IMO the OP is out of luck for what he wants to do & needs a Plan B. Otherwise his friends/family are going to have a not so warm welcome & he won't be there to sort it out.

Cheers.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
IMO the OP is out of luck for what he wants to do & needs a Plan B. Otherwise his friends/family are going to have a not so warm welcome & he won't be there to sort it out.

Cheers.
And we may have another angry thread threatening to sue Marriott for poor treatment of friends/family in a few months.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by akhillese
I phoned the hotel and the local reservation agent confirmed the secondary name in the remarks would not be an issue for check in but confirmed explicitly with me that the e-cert holder is indeed staying. .
And you told them...what, explicitly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.