Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy - a brand explained

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:32 pm

I am thinking about calling it Marriott Bonbon.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I am thinking about calling it Marriott Bonbon.
Knowing how family-friendly and traditional Marriott is, I'd almost wonder if they want us harking back to the good ol' days referencing The Waltons and saying "Goodnight Bon-voy"?
margarita girl and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Knowing how family-friendly and traditional Marriott is, I'd almost wonder if they want us harking back to the good ol' days referencing The Waltons and saying "Goodnight Bon-voy"?
Just saw a Marriot "Bonvoy" TV commercial. Have to say, It was GOOD. Everyone freaking out about this "terrible" name is stuck in the past. Marriott is marketing to a new generation. The old generation probably isn't going anywhere anyway. It seems like they are marketing the name Bonvoy as holiday enjoyment, kind of like "cheers".. I like it a lot.. I'm sure many of you who have been around Marriott/SPG/RC ages won't though.

Last edited by kalo93406; Feb 28, 2019 at 3:01 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by kalo93406
Just saw a Marriot "Bonvoy" TV commercial. Have to say, It was GOOD. Everyone freaking out about this "terrible" name is stuck in the past. Marriott is marketing to a new generation. The old generation probably isn't going anywhere anyway. It's like they are marketing the name Bonvoy as holiday enjoyment kind of like "cheers".. I like it a lot.. I'm sure many of you who have been around Marriott/SPG/RC ages won't though.
Honestly, I didn't hate the commercial. It was nice to see so many of the brands in a great light and together. I did think that the gist of everyone saying "Bonvoy" was them poking a little fun of the name, but my friends say that was not the point.

Anyway, if Marriott wants to market to a new generation they should drop the Marriott name. It may mean reliability for many old-timers, but to me its a company that is stuck in the past, uses Grandma's drapes/carpet, is cheap, is conservative and far too generic or safe. They are smart to not put the name next to Autograph hotels, but I had hoped they would not have put the name Marriott next to the new program name.
kalo93406 and UA-NYC like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

Anyway, if Marriott wants to market to a new generation they should drop the Marriott name. It may mean reliability for many old-timers, but to me its a company that is stuck in the past, uses Grandma's drapes/carpet, is cheap, is conservative and far too generic or safe. They are smart to not put the name next to Autograph hotels, but I had hoped they would not have put the name Marriott next to the new program name.
Any goodwill that the Marriott name held has been totally destroyed since Aug 18!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
The old generation probably isn't going anywhere anyway.
You're a genius and I'm the oddball. My ties were to SPG and have never bought into Marriott. They had their chance with the merger and have demonstrated nothing positive.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by hedoman
You're a genius and I'm the oddball. My ties were to SPG and have never bought into Marriott. They had their chance with the merger and have demonstrated nothing positive.
I guess they will lose some. You are one out of how many? My main comment was about the Bonvoy name and commercial. Which I like. I just started traveling more last year and have enjoyed the game. I'm also looking at Hyatt and just got the World Of Hyatt credit card. Will probably get the Hilton Aspire card later in the year. I haven't had many problems that people are complaining about with Marriott and it's not easy to see how I could be better rewarded with the other programs, especially without high level status. I'll check them both out some during the year. Are you moving to Hyatt or Hilton or? With long term status you can jump where ever you like. You are going to avoid all Marriott properties now? Happy traveling.

Last edited by kalo93406; Feb 28, 2019 at 2:15 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I like the mispelling I saw in another thread, "Bonvo!"
It makes even less perceived sense, but is still catchy.
Ok, the commercial was just fine, however.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
With long term status you can jump where ever you like. You are going to avoid all Marriott properties now? Happy traveling.
I go where the best value can be had and that is rarely with a Marriott property.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Just wait till the next Bond-film comes along: Bonvoy, Marriott Bonvoy...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't care about the name. I find it amusing that the metal associated with my status got downgraded from Platinum to Titanium, a thing that is worth about 1% what platinum is, but that's indicative of what Marriott thinks of Platinums vs. what Starwood thought of Platinums.

I more care about how disastrously they've botched this merger, and how it still hasn't really been cleaned up 6 months later. I'm mostly staying away, not a hard boycott but rather a conscious effort to minimize the chance I need to interact with the website or customer service. I need to hear from others (mainly Flyertalkers) that those things are running well again before I move most my Hilton stays back to Marriott. I'll still do the occasional Marriott stay on work trips where they're convenient, but so far in 2019 I'm at 15 HH nights and 3 Marriott nights. A year ago, that was reversed.
yurtripper and Smrtmom1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.