Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy - a brand explained

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When there were rumors NW WorldPerks and CO OnePass might merge, one name that we came up was OnePerk

If we look at how much worse free domestic upgrades have gotten after the UA/CO merge, it seems merged program = less upgrade.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
I am terrible at marketing, so let's get that out of the way. .That said: the name just feels off. All aspects of marketing, I'm told, are supposed to reinforce each other. Bonvoy doesn't quite do this. I understand the Bon Voyage connection obviously, and mentally I feel it's connected to "envoy" as implying status. But 2 things stand out.

1. I have to think about it. It's not natural; there's a tension from the missing "age" at the end which feels slightly uncomfortable. That seems like a negative.
2. It does nothing to build a positive. IF the program is a success, the name will just become natural, but doesn't reinforce whatever made it a success (aside from being unique I guess). If the program is a failure, the name will stick out like a sore thumb, and be a lightening rod for "Marriott had no clue what they were doing, even the name was dumb" sentiments.

So yeah...it'll probably be fine, unless the whole program is not. And if not, they'll change the name to something more generic and move on.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Things should be obvious what they are.

Walmart Pay
Samsung Pay
Apple Pay

Delta Skymiles
United MileagePlus

Bonvoy seems like some kind of hipster/millennial naming fantasy that doesn't make any sense.
KRSW, CO-PLAT and SpicyMorale like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Bonvoy(age) is about departure, not arrival.
The hotel stay is not part of our departure at the beginning of the trip.

Bonvoy(age) is about wishing someone well on a journey assuming some kind of travel and/or movement is involved.
The hotel stay is not part of movement like a cruise, or a flight, or a train ride. It is not the journey. It is a static destination.

"Bonvoy" to me means "Hey in appreciation of you leaving our hotel, we will give you some points.... Bonvoy, buddy... and you better spend 'em fast before every hotel becomes a Category 9".

They really should have chosen a name synonymous with arrival or welcome or hospitality. Not someone wishing someone else well as one party leaves while the other stays behind.
Brendan, username, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
Marriott Bonvoy is a Go for Launch!
Since the reaction of 90-95% of the people on FT was something along the lines of "barf", I think they should have spent some money on focus groups. Obviously their marketing department is completely clued out as to what resonates with their most loyal customers.

And the fact that their customers are ridiculing the name, speaks volumes.

Last edited by margarita girl; Feb 17, 2019 at 1:47 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I see it as an attempt to be both "avant-garde" yet sooooo corporate-safe. They'd have done so much better had they chosen something like Envoy, Ambassador, or Explorer. Just think that the programs it replaced were called "Preferred Guest" and "Rewards".

At the end of the day... I just don't care. Give me my points and amenities (which they're failing to do yet again as I type this).
Brendan and WoodyWindy like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by cre95
I come from the SPG camp at the Platinum level so may be biased...

I believe that the SPG program had value and rewarded loyalty. I take it as a given that Marriott’s program had value that its members appreciated.

In the combined program, I see my visits to hotels since the combination as not responsive to my status. I book a room and that’s all I get. No difference from any other non-elite member who booked the same room I did.

If all I’m getting is the exact room I booked, there is no reason to go with a chain versus a different one other than location (in relation to reason for my visit) & price for the room I’m booking.

What’s interesting on a couple of recent experiences is that I’ve booked suites (since that’s what I wanted to have). You’d think that would be the easiest way to go. On my last two occasions when I check in, they’ve tried to move me to traditional rooms. I had to push back but their explanations have been that their IT systems have been creating problems and continue to offer the suites for booking when they don’t have any left. Since mine had been booked rather than upgraded, I was able to get my bookings resolved.
There has always been property-to-property variance in how well benefits are handled, but I've almost always been treated well, and usually acknowledged. Upgrades are always a space-available thing, though, and therefore not guaranteed (though some hotels don't put the effort into checking availability that they should). I really haven't seen that change significantly. But I've also always maintained that if you REALLY want premium accommodations, you should book them, and not rely on the chance of an upgrade to do the job, no matter your status.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I like "Happy Trails" better. But of course that phrase could not have been trademarked. Perhaps the estate of Roy Rogers already has. And the phrase might not translate well into other languages.

If I had been the decision maker, I would have gone with Marriott Preferred Guest. MPG evokes MVP. Perhaps that could have been the top level -- MPG MVP.
Actually, I almost pointed out that "Happy Trails" is a pretty fair colloquial translation of "Bon Voyage" as it is.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by kalo93406
bon vo·yage/ˌbän ˌvoiˈäZH/

exclamation
  1. used to express good wishes to someone about to go on a journey.
    "good luck and bon voyage!"

If you want a French term that's more appropriate for a hotel, then why not "bienvenue" (welcome)? Other than too many syllables, hard to remember spelling, and the fact that bon voyage is one of the French terms common in English....
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Bonvoyed will be the phrase used for destroying SPG's legacy, benefits and numerous cherished properties.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM
What’s interesting on a couple of recent experiences is that I’ve booked suites (since that’s what I wanted to have). You’d think that would be the easiest way to go. On my last two occasions when I check in, they’ve tried to move me to traditional rooms. I had to push back but their explanations have been that their IT systems have been creating problems and continue to offer the suites for booking when they don’t have any left. Since mine had been booked rather than upgraded, I was able to get my bookings resolved.

Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
There has always been property-to-property variance in how well benefits are handled, but I've almost always been treated well, and usually acknowledged. Upgrades are always a space-available thing, though, and therefore not guaranteed (though some hotels don't put the effort into checking availability that they should). I really haven't seen that change significantly. But I've also always maintained that if you REALLY want premium accommodations, you should book them, and not rely on the chance of an upgrade to do the job, no matter your status.
Seems like we both agree on a point ... per your quote ... "if you really want premium accommodations, you should book them"

As you'll read from my original post (included above as well), with the new Marriott, I have booked suites just to have to battle to get what I have booked once I'm checking in. Totally different experience from what I had in the past. In the past, if I booked something, it was certain I would get either "what I booked" or "better".

My experience now, is book something but you will get "inferior" or "at best, what you booked". No concept of loyalty recognition.

It seems that you are not reading people's posts and just keep reiterating that Marriott is doing great in their integration and have come up with a fabulous program name. My read of most of the responses here is that the name did not hit the spot. I agree with that. My first reaction is "What were they thinking?" I get the whole connection to Von Voyage but their name just doesn't do it for me. My view is that through an integration, the order of things should be:
1) Think customer
2) Think customer
3) Think customer
4) What can I do to keep customers from the property (i.e., SPG) I bought?
5) Go back to #1 above

Rather than smush two programs together and hope for the best. Oh, and we need a new brand, let's just pick a name and hope for the best...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Seems like we both agree on a point ... per your quote ... "if you really want premium accommodations, you should book them"

As you'll read from my original post (included above as well), with the new Marriott, I have booked suites just to have to battle to get what I have booked once I'm checking in. Totally different experience from what I had in the past. In the past, if I booked something, it was certain I would get either "what I booked" or "better".

My experience now, is book something but you will get "inferior" or "at best, what you booked". No concept of loyalty recognition.
Currently (after we all being Bonvoyed) I have getting upgraded on all my stays.

I did experience a "downgrade attempt" on SPG hotels prior to merge.

But I have to admit, I will definitely need to lowered my expectation after being Bonvoyed especially if I stay at The Luxury Collection Hotel brands (as shown by The Prince Gallery lounge access update)
Wont be surprised if in the future, all Luxury Collection hotels remove lounge benefit altogether.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
1) Think customer shareholder value.
2) Think customer shareholder value.
3) Think customer shareholder value.
4) What can I do to keep shed customers from the property (i.e., SPG) I bought?
5) Go back to #1 above
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Sabai
Quote:
1) Think customer shareholder value.
2) Think customer shareholder value.
3) Think customer shareholder value.
4) What can I do to keep shed customers from the property (i.e., SPG) I bought?
5) Go back to #1 above
Thanks for fixing my points

That's exactly the approach I see Marriott taking in their integration. Except, of course, that I would add "near term" in front of shareholder. I debated whether to insert "short term" but the problem is that it seems that 14 million members may have jumped over to Hilton per a recent article. So, maybe there is a "near term" aspect before you get to what a true long term shareholder value impact they will see.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by kaizen7
But I have to admit, I will definitely need to lowered my expectation after being Bonvoyed especially if I stay at The Luxury Collection Hotel brands (as shown by The Prince Gallery lounge access update)
Wont be surprised if in the future, all Luxury Collection hotels remove lounge benefit altogether.
YMMV, but I have found Luxury Collection properties to be the most generous brand with upgrades and other forms of Ambassador recognition. Despite having stayed at quite a high proportion of them, I can't think of many with a lounge, so it's not a major deal for me.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.