Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How is it possible that Marriott doesn't own the "www.bonvoy.com" domain ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos

I honestly was surprised when I was trying to log in on an unfamiliar computer -- I just typed in www.bonvoy.com and figured it would bring me to the Marriott site, but NOOOO, it went to a Godaddy "parked" website.

I guess we could buy it ourselves, if the price is right?

They do own www.marriottbonvoy.com, but not just Bonvoy??????
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I honestly was surprised when I was trying to log in on an unfamiliar computer -- I just typed in www.bonvoy.com and figured it would bring me to the Marriott site, but NOOOO, it went to a Godaddy "parked" website.

I guess we could buy it ourselves, if the price is right?

They do own www.marriottbonvoy.com, but not just Bonvoy??????
I just went to the site, and clicked on the tab to buy it. It actually said that Go Daddy would contact the current owner of the domain and see if they were willing to sell it to me.

So somebody does own it. That is why the domain is 'parked' at Go Daddy. It's not currently for sale.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Gonna venture a guess here that legal staff insisted that it *always* be Marriott Bonvoy vs. just the latter.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Jaunts
I just went to the site, and clicked on the tab to buy it. It actually said that Go Daddy would contact the current owner of the domain and see if they were willing to sell it to me.

So somebody does own it. That is why the domain is 'parked' at Go Daddy. It's not currently for sale.
Yeah, but perhaps the OP was just surprised that Marriott Bonvoy did not actually pay to buy it from the owner. Most huge companies do, I think, even if $$$$.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Gonna venture a guess here that legal staff insisted that it *always* be Marriott Bonvoy vs. just the latter.
this is irrelevant to Marriott not owning the bonvoy.com domain.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
this is irrelevant to Marriott not owning the bonvoy.com domain.
If you can’t see why it’s very directly relevant, I would kindly suggest that you refrain from offering your legal opinions.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Someone on FT owns the domain. Or, a Marriott insider..
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by hedoman
I was wondering the same - but shouldn't a company normally purchase the domain name before announcing the name to the public? (Perhaps with this merger fiasco, "normally" shouldn't be expected.) My guess is it was someone from one of the focus groups for the name.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer

If you can’t see why it’s very directly relevant, I would kindly suggest that you refrain from offering your legal opinions.
uhhh ok
it's completely irrelevant as anybody can own any domain (simplified, but the exceptions don't apply here).
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
uhhh ok
it's completely irrelevant as anybody can own any domain (simplified, but the exceptions don't apply here).
No one - least of all yours truly - has even remotely suggested that they can’t. Perhaps do some research and apply some critical thinking to the problem and maybe come to an understanding as to why a very major global corporation did not somehow accidentally overlook the purchase of this particular domain, but rather very explicitly chose to pretend it doesn’t even exist....

Gotta love FT, man.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Check out the website for the Los Angeles Rams. "therams.com"... Not larams.com or losangelesrams.com Sometimes companies don't want to pay up.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Cybersqatters, simply put.
Marriot will eventually pay for it, considering the search driven internet we live in.
After too many users keep accessing the wrong site, and they complain to Marriot about google searches leading them there, Marriott will react.

More users going to the wrong site drives up its traffic and thus its Google search ranking, leading to yet more users going to that wrong site.
Eventually, Bonvoy searches would lead directly to bonvoy.com...
It is how the internet works.

Any marketing/branding/advertisement professional worth their salt would see why Marriott not owning the .com domain is an issue that hurts the company. Lets see how long it will take to get here.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:16 am
THR

Originally Posted by Jaunts

Come on. It is entirely for sale. That’s why it is parked. The strategy is they act as agent for the owner and come back to you with a price. Which would now be a huge amount.

You only park domains to sell them.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by sinfonia
I was wondering the same - but shouldn't a company normally purchase the domain name before announcing the name to the public? (Perhaps with this merger fiasco, "normally" shouldn't be expected.) My guess is it was someone from one of the focus groups for the name.

Originally Posted by hedoman
​​​​​​

​Domain Name: BONVOY.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1524198286_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 2018-10-14T05:50:04Z
Creation Date: 2008-10-14T15:49:53Z ​​​​​​
Unless the domain owner had a crystal ball in 2008... The domain owner name/address isn't masked, Marriott can get ahold of that person (info is real.

​​​​​​​Bonvoy.com is social travel startup that has a product via Facebook app, the domain is used for email)
writerguyfl and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
The owner should setup an auto redirect to Hyatt.com, bet Marriot would come knocking pretty quickly
sdix, dgreen12, RoyalFlush and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.