Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Colonnade, Autograph Collection - Coral Gables, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Cat 5. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...rtfolio-hotel/

"Enjoy a refined stay at Hotel Colonnade, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel. Our Four Diamond hotel in Coral Gables, FL, is steps from world-class shopping, dining and theaters on Miracle Mile. Enter our lobby to find vaulted ceilings and a grand staircase, centered under stained glass rosary style windows and sparkling chandeliers. The historic marble-tiled rotunda is the centerpiece of our exclusive Coral Gables hotel with large marble columns and a beautiful fountain. Explore our luxury guestrooms and suites featuring wood floors, four-poster beds, sectional sofas and chic bathrooms. Unwind in our game room, with a pool table, games and complimentary Wi-Fi. Our stylish hotel offers five unique dining experiences, including 24-hour in-room dining. Stay fit in our modern fitness center, swim in our rooftop outdoor pool or relax on the sun deck boasting city views. From our elegant ballrooms to our luxury amenities, our boutique hotel welcomes business and leisure travelers to Coral Cables, FL in grand style."
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
This hotel seems to have moved from Tribute Portfolio to Autograph Collection recently.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davidw70
This hotel seems to have moved from Tribute Portfolio to Autograph Collection recently.
What's the difference? Does it affect elite perks?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Primary difference is around breakfast covered under lounge access and elite welcome gift. Autograph presumed to have a lounge and offer breakfast in restaurant if lounge closed. At Tribute breakfast is offered as one of several welcome gift options.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:37 am

Either way a pretty nice property. Strange two-story rooms that they like to give out as "upgrades" (not really useful to a solo traveler) but good service and very good dining options. Really the only nice place close to Gables (Ritz in Coconut Grove being another option, or staying in Brickell).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happened to the iconic hotel on the outskirts of Coral Gables that had the huge swimming pool? I think it was famous for some of the very early Miss America pageants. The lobby and main building were renovated and seemed rather fancy, but I don't know about the standard rooms.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:17 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
What happened to the iconic hotel on the outskirts of Coral Gables that had the huge swimming pool? I think it was famous for some of the very early Miss America pageants. The lobby and main building were renovated and seemed rather fancy, but I don't know about the standard rooms.
The Biltmore? That’s a member of the Leading Hotels of the World and still around, but no formal chain affiliation that is aware of beyond LHW.

khabah
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by khabah

The Biltmore? That’s a member of the Leading Hotels of the World and still around, but no formal chain affiliation that is aware of beyond LHW.

khabah
That's it. I was surprised that someone would say that the Colonnade is "the only nice place close to Coral Gables."
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:33 am

I was surprised that someone would say that the Colonnade is "the only nice place close to Coral Gables."
My apologies, I thought I was in the Marriott Forum. Have I gotten lost again?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
My apologies, I thought I was in the Marriott Forum. Have I gotten lost again?
I guess some of read "the only nice place close to Coral Gables" differently. I would read that as referring to hotels in general, not just to those participating in Marriott Bonvoy. (I was going to mention the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, only a couple of blocks from the Hotel Colonnade.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Horace
I guess some of read "the only nice place close to Coral Gables" differently. I would read that as referring to hotels in general, not just to those participating in Marriott Bonvoy. (I was going to mention the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables, only a couple of blocks from the Hotel Colonnade.)
Pedantry on my part, I suppose, but I presume people in this forum are interested in the hotels about which this forum concerns itself, and I don't presume that readers are necessarily members of, or interested in, other loyalty programs or accommodation schemes. There are some VERY nice personal residences in Coral Gables (some may even be on airbnb!) but I don't consider them to be in scope either.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by davidw70
According to the Marriott News Center press release at https://news.marriott.com/2018/10/ma...edia-campaign/ :

"Autograph Collection Hotels are hand-selected for their rich design and immersive stories; while Tribute Portfolio brings together characterful hotels with vibrant social scenes that create a sense of belonging for guests and locals."

There you have it. Is it clear now?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Horace
According to the Marriott News Center press release at https://news.marriott.com/2018/10/ma...edia-campaign/ :

"Autograph Collection Hotels are hand-selected for their rich design and immersive stories; while Tribute Portfolio brings together characterful hotels with vibrant social scenes that create a sense of belonging for guests and locals."

There you have it. Is it clear now?
Not really. It's marketing-speak to me. I guess a hotel can acquire a vibrant social scene but I don't see how an existing hotel can lose its rich design and immersive stories (whatever that really means). BTW, is characterful a word?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:33 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
This is more of a differentiation in branding than anything else. The Luxury Collection, Autograph Collection and Tribute Portfolio are Marriott's 'collection' brands hotels, and they're differentiated by how 'soft'-branded they are and where they lie on the segment spectrum.
  • LC: the top-end of the collection brands consisting of five-star/luxury-level properties only. "The Luxury Collection" needs to be prominently branded and featured across the property and on all materials with a logo on them.
  • AuCo: a notch below LC with four-/five-star and upper-upscale to luxury properties. Hotels are allowed to be more playful with their designs and create a "story"/series of experiences for guests.
  • TP: the bottom tier of the collection brands, consisting of upper-upscale hotels only between three to five stars. Hotels are not required to flaunt their Marriott/TP affiliation, and set themselves apart through their design and having destination venues attracting locals and hotel guests.
As far as perks go, all three brands are full-service and therefore should provide Elite members with the same benefits you'd expect at brands like JW Marriott, Le Méridien and W [i.e. upgrades, Elite Welcome Gift of breakfast/points/amenity]. Lounge access, however, differs: if LCs have lounges, Elites are not automatically entitled to use them by virtue of having status, whereas AuCo properties grant access to Plat+ [I'm not aware of any TP properties with lounges, but Marriott's T&Cs specifically state that lounge access is not offered at TP].

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.