Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Millions of points, out of the blue.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Millions of points, out of the blue.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I would bet the the T's and C's someplace state the points have no cash value-though I didn't check out of laziness.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:55 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
Sorry, but "cash equivalent" has a certain definition that is not anywhere close to Bonvoy Points!
Then why do we have a lot of posts/threads on the $ value of a point?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by controller1
Sorry, but "cash equivalent" has a certain definition that is not anywhere close to Bonvoy Points!
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I would bet the the T's and C's someplace state the points have no cash value-though I didn't check out of laziness.
Originally Posted by hhoope01
While they may not have any value sitting in your account, you can bet good money that if you used the points to book a room/flight/car/vacation/etc. that value could be used to put a $ value on the event.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by FTA
There is a federal law covering mistaken cash transfers
Itis called. UNjust Windfall. They can prevail.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:54 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Looking at their new award categories that windfall of mistaken points should get you a free night at a Marriott Courtyard
Kidding aside as much as Marriott is in Chaos I would do the right thing
However I would contact corporate and have something on official record
as reservations and customer service can barely book or modify a reservation correctly
I’ve never seen a corporate melt down in all my decades of travel
I will book through a 3rd party then deal with the level of incompetence I’ve witnessed repeatedly in their call centers
Truly shocking

If you need a contact at Marriott corporate I can assist
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
You could wait a few years and get a room at the DFW Fairfield Inn after several devaluations
porciuscato likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I would definitely not just call Marriott. I would call the head of the rewards program and let him know the details. I would imagine that he would be more apt to give you some sort of reward for returning that large a number of miles. Better yet, call the media and report it. Ask for their help in getting in touch with the head of the rewards program. Maybe if they are put under media scrutiny, they will pony up with a thank you gesture. I find it rather annoying that many times when these types of situations happen and the traveler does the right thing by reporting it, the company does absolutely NOTHING. I would imagine a week-long stay at any property would be a good reward for over $800k worth of miles being reported.
HMPS and HollyGlen like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Because this is FT and that's what we do!

There are terms that have specific definitions in the business world (accounting in this case) and "cash equivalent" is one of them.

What I find interesting is that this thread was revived after an absence from the OP. It will be interesting to see if the OP ever comes back and updates us on what happened.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Actually, there are documented cases of people withdrawing/spending large sums of money from their bank accounts that had been deposited there in error. They were prosecuted for theft. No idea if the same would apply to points, but in the case of cash, if it ain't yours, don't touch it!
Since points have no intrinsic value (for tax purposes), then it can't be theft.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Points, Redemption Awards and promotional Awards have no cash value and the Company will not compensate or pay cash for any forfeited or unused Points.

- Program Terms & Conditions, 1.7.b(i)
BenSenise, miloworld and xexs like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by TSparky
Since points have no intrinsic value (for tax purposes), then it can't be theft.
Outstanding points are liabilities on Marriott’s balance sheet. Marriott converts redeemed or transfered points into cash payments to hotels or airlines.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SANdyFlyer
Points, Redemption Awards and promotional Awards have no cash value and the Company will not compensate or pay cash for any forfeited or unused Points.

- Program Terms & Conditions, 1.7.b(i)
Thank you! I wonder how they can charge a cancelation penalty if they say redemption awards have no cash value.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:52 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by myperks

people refrshing their app to see if they hit the lottery as well.
but if it’s given by a property, then they may have messed up on the currency exchange. Was your last stay in like Indonesia or Vietnam?
I was also thinking Indonesia.

Also, Welcome to FlyerTalk @Dinish!

Last edited by yosithezet; Feb 19, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Question : If these points are converted into miles, can Marriott claw it back ? We are always told transfer to miles cannot be reconverted to poinrs.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HMPS
Question : If these points are converted into miles, can Marriott claw it back ? We are always told transfer to miles cannot be reconverted to poinrs.
When you make the rules, you can exempt yourself from the rules.
So yes, Marriott would just whisper to it's partners and crawback the miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.