Proof of failed upgrade

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A common misconception. Anyone, even a guest with no status at all, is eligible for a suite upgrade if it makes sense for the hotel to do so. It's just like an operational upgrade on an airline.

However, if there are sufficient guests with higher status, they should definitely be upgraded before any "operational upgrades".
However, the number of stays at the property in question is also a factor. That number may not correspond directly to one's level of status.
KRSW and obunewbie17 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by satman40
I thought they gave upgrades out in the order you checked in.

i have been upgraded, and a friend who checked in later did not,,

Guess the room was taken..
Does that mean it is worth doing OLCI? I'm never sure if it hurts or helps.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
The T&Cs called for upgrades based upon availability at check in. This was long before OLCI was an option. Given many of the properties where I have stayed pre block their upgrades (and reflected online before arrival) that was pretty much out the window. And with SPG sending a preference list, that also shot down availability. Now there have been instances where I asked about an upgrade at check in and I was assigned a different room only to find a welcome letter/gift addressed to the previously assigned guest. I'm just waiting for them to send us all up to the bar/lounge until 6pm and then dole out the upgraded rooms at that time. Of course you'd be free to accept what's available upon arrival, if you need/want to settle in early.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
OLCI (unless it's a mobile key situation) doesn't really check you in. A lot of people don't realize that. You're not formally checked in until you arrive at the property. OLCI just gives a heads up to the hotel that you've done OLCI, they'll check the ressie for any requests, & have the keys made for when you arrive - but they still manually check you in at the front desk even if the keys were pre-made.

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
OLCI (unless it's a mobile key situation) doesn't really check you in. A lot of people don't realize that. You're not formally checked in until you arrive at the property.
Another area where Hilton blows Marriott out of the water. OLCI with room selection and pretty good coverage on the digital key feature. I am about 50/50 on HH/MBV and this is one thing where, as a longtime legacy Hilton guy, there is no contest.
obunewbie17 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Another area where Hilton blows Marriott out of the water. OLCI with room selection and pretty good coverage on the digital key feature.
I had a chance to experience this a few weeks ago as a Hilton "Gold in Status Only" (via my AmEx card, I've stayed 3 nights over the course of two years). Not only could I select the room I'd wanted on their app, but the digital key worked every time.

... that being said, I'm not sure if the "Pay now to upgrade your room" means they don't willingly hand out upgrades to elites, though.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I inquired as to why upgrades were not prioritized and the FD Manager said that they prioritized by revenue and first come, first serve.
Welcome to Marriott Bonvoy! Any time I show up late I'm almost certain to get one of the "leftover" rooms.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
OLCI (unless it's a mobile key situation) doesn't really check you in. A lot of people don't realize that. You're not formally checked in until you arrive at the property. OLCI just gives a heads up to the hotel that you've done OLCI, they'll check the ressie for any requests, & have the keys made for when you arrive - but they still manually check you in at the front desk even if the keys were pre-made.

Cheers.
If the keys are pre made, would that means room assignment is done at the time of OLCI (or shortly after OLCI) ? whether its an upgraded room or non ugraded one.

As if the room is not assigned yet, how can the FD pre made the key ?
obunewbie17 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kaizen7
If the keys are pre made, would that means room assignment is done at the time of OLCI (or shortly after OLCI) ? whether its an upgraded room or non ugraded one.

As if the room is not assigned yet, how can the FD pre made the key ?
In my experience, about 70% of the time the room is already assigned and the keycard is ready to go. The front desk only asks for the last four digits of my credit card or a photo identification.

Some properties require me to go through more of the formalities, but the online check-in experience has greatly improved at most properties within the last six months or so. More and more properties, across multiple brands, including Courtyard, also have the mobile key technology.

So, yes, in my experience the online check-in does make a difference. When combined with asking for a suite upgrade through the mobile chat application, my upgrade percentage has gone way up.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OK. Clarifying a little:

I checked in online 24h before arrival and was definitely assigned a room - there was a card from the staff addressed to me by name welcoming me. I don't know if my colleague checked in online.

Talked to the FD during check-out. The reason I was given is that I reserved a double queen room and they didn't want to upgrade me to a single bed suite since I might have needed the two beds. OK, I guess that's legitimate, but they could have asked me. <shrug>

Just checked in to another CY for a one-night stay - no upgrade. They show a suite is available when I go to reserve a room for tonight at the same property.
r3cycle19 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Welcome to Marriott Bonvoy! Any time I show up late I'm almost certain to get one of the "leftover" rooms.
This is one reason why I do online check in via the APP and message the property if I am traveling with the plus one or family as to enhance their Bonvoy experience so they understand why I'm on the road a lot.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
This is one reason why I do online check in via the APP and message the property
I meant to mention it in another thread but @hockeyinsider clued me that the "Message to the Property" (you know the one I mean, the 45-character comment box) when booking tends to be ignored, and to use the messaging feature in the app instead at check-in. I'd done that on a reservation last week, and they'd messaged me back the day of the stay and told me I'd gotten the upgrade to the [all-suite floor] that I'd requested.

I haven't made any stays since officially becoming Tit4Lyfe, but it'll be interesting to see how things go now that there's a well(?)-defined status level for us now.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The list was sent daily with the idea that hotels would use it to reassign rooms.

I have no idea how it was sent, perhaps by telegram or carrier pigeon after the Starriott merger started.
I know some FTer's have mentioned this SPG priority list but I have asked at several different legacy SPG properties. None were familiar with such a list so I'm skeptical it has been in use for quite a while. With the exception of a recent stay (W Union Square) where I have stayed three times in 2019, I have never been pre-upgraded to a suite at a legacy SPG property and it has always been a search on what's available at check-in and, in many cases a refusal to upgrade to vacant suites (most recently at the SLS BH where they wanted a $200 upcharge to a one bedroom suite).

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
However, the number of stays at the property in question is also a factor. That number may not correspond directly to one's level of status.
Agreed and I think this is fair. For example, I know a couple of Marriott's that upgrade "regulars" to suites even though they aren't platinum or above. I don't have any issue of that ... my concern is properties that want upcharges or prefer to leave the suite vacant rather than give it to their best customers under the T&C of the program.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I meant to mention it in another thread but @hockeyinsider clued me that the "Message to the Property" (you know the one I mean, the 45-character comment box) when booking tends to be ignored, and to use the messaging feature in the app instead at check-in. I'd done that on a reservation last week, and they'd messaged me back the day of the stay and told me I'd gotten the upgrade to the [all-suite floor] that I'd requested.

I haven't made any stays since officially becoming Tit4Lyfe, but it'll be interesting to see how things go now that there's a well(?)-defined status level for us now.
Inshallah! I am curious to see what upgrades the Westin Tucson offers us for next weekend since that's during an off-peak leisure period for our weekend getaway.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by JoeTPA
OK. Clarifying a little:

I checked in online 24h before arrival and was definitely assigned a room - there was a card from the staff addressed to me by name welcoming me. I don't know if my colleague checked in online.

Talked to the FD during check-out. The reason I was given is that I reserved a double queen room and they didn't want to upgrade me to a single bed suite since I might have needed the two beds. OK, I guess that's legitimate, but they could have asked me. <shrug>

Just checked in to another CY for a one-night stay - no upgrade. They show a suite is available when I go to reserve a room for tonight at the same property.
Guess you’ll have to ask the mods to modify your thread title!

BTW, in the comments field, I always say “prefer 2 beds, but will take 1 for suite upgrade”.
platbrownguy, KRSW, JoeTPA and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.