Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proof of failed upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Nowhere in Bonvoy materials is it published that upgrades are prioritized according to elite levels. It has never been like that with SPG and it does not appear to be the case with Bonvoy as well. If the number of upgradeable elites arriving on a given day exceeds that of available suites,the property has a tremendous leeway in deciding who gets upgraded, and it will most certainly prioritize according to loyalty to the property itself (not the program), duration of stay and rate rather that elite tier or number of nights stayed with Bonvoy.
In my case this week, this is absolutely true because the property that we are at is rewarding the higher revenue rates with upgrades while most of us on the corporate rate are not.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget

In my case this week, this is absolutely true because the property that we are at is rewarding the higher revenue rates with upgrades while most of us on the corporate rate are not.
A good mantra to remember at hotels...discounted rate...discounted experience.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: UA Gold
Nowhere in Bonvoy materials is it published that upgrades are prioritized according to elite levels. It has never been like that with SPG and it does not appear to be the case with Bonvoy as well. If the number of upgradeable elites arriving on a given day exceeds that of available suites,the property has a tremendous leeway in deciding who gets upgraded, and it will most certainly prioritize according to loyalty to the property itself (not the program), duration of stay and rate rather that elite tier or number of nights stayed with Bonvoy.
Just because a suite is available to book on your first night of a stay does not mean that the suite is available the entire time. Just remember that when you are booking 4 or 5 night stays. It is easier for the hotel to upgrade one night reservations. Also, you are correct loyalty to the property itself is more valuable than loyalty to the overall brand.
HollyGlen likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SPG sent each hotel a suggested priority ordering for upgrades, but the property was free to ignore the list ot inject their own criteria such as stays/nights/revenue at then property. The prioritization was proprietary but rumored to depend on 23 factors of which elite tier certainly would have been a prominent determinant.
PointWeasel likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SPG sent each hotel a suggested priority ordering for upgrades, but the property was free to ignore the list ot inject their own criteria such as stays/nights/revenue at then property. The prioritization was proprietary but rumored to depend on 23 factors of which elite tier certainly would have been a prominent determinant.
Did SPG run off a universal CRM system? I would doubt that individual properties were manually considering 23 factors or writing their own models to weight said factors. I would think anything with that many inputs would have been baked into a CRM platform (with option for manual override of course).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by arlflyer

Did SPG run off a universal CRM system? I would doubt that individual properties were manually considering 23 factors or writing their own models to weight said factors. I would think anything with that many inputs would have been baked into a CRM platform (with option for manual override of course).
Please read the post you quoted. SPG sent the priority list to the hotels. Therefore SPG had some system to rank elites. This was not done by the individual property, but individual properties were free to adjust it if they wanted to do so.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:32 am

Please read the post you quoted. SPG sent the priority list to the hotels. Therefore SPG had some system to rank elites. This was not done by the individual property, but individual properties were free to adjust it if they wanted to do so.
I read the post - it could be interpreted multiple ways. Do you mean that they sent a list of names, daily, or would that be hourly? Would the list change in real time as guests checked in? Did they email it, or was it pushed through a CRM? Or was this list not one of specific guests but rather a list of criteria, against which a property could map guests? Numerous ways the post could be understood, hence my curiosity.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Sometimes it's hard to tell why upgrades don't happen. Suppose I (a LifeTit!) have a reservation but I've not yet arrived. Maybe the hotel blocks me a suite but that shouldn't take that room off the market if someone wants to pay for it, so the suite shows as available. Now a Plat comes along to check in and sees that he doesn't get an upgrade but doesn't know that the hotel is holding the upgrade for me but still hoping to sell the room. Is the Plat right to be angry about being denied? Would I be right to be angry if they upgrade the Plat because he arrived first?
Fizzer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So, bottom line is that the t&c of the program itself, the guidance issued to properties, and common sense, all mean that status level is not a mandatory determinant.

There are a lot of good reasons for a property to prioritize based on revenue, but that is irrelevant because even if it is a bad idea, it is the individual property's decision.

If it is important to you, deal directly with the property and book away from those which upgrade away from your preference.

Or, WSBS "Want Suite - Book Suite"
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I read the post - it could be interpreted multiple ways. Do you mean that they sent a list of names, daily, or would that be hourly? Would the list change in real time as guests checked in? Did they email it, or was it pushed through a CRM? Or was this list not one of specific guests but rather a list of criteria, against which a property could map guests? Numerous ways the post could be understood, hence my curiosity.
The list was sent daily with the idea that hotels would use it to reassign rooms.

I have no idea how it was sent, perhaps by telegram or carrier pigeon after the Starriott merger started.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Nowhere in Bonvoy materials is it published that upgrades are prioritized according to elite levels.
Yes and no. Only platinums, titaniums and ambassadors are eligible for suite upgrades. So, a gold should not receive a suite upgrade.

Originally Posted by EricH
Would I be right to be angry if they upgrade the Plat because he arrived first?
But the terms do state an upgrade is based on the best room or suite available at the time of check-in, which is why I check-in 48 hours before arrival as soon as the mobile application lets me.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
But the terms do state an upgrade is based on the best room or suite available at the time of check-in, which is why I check-in 48 hours before arrival as soon as the mobile application lets me.
Will this make the hotel check for the availability of eligible suite when you do the olci and assign one for you?

What would happen if say you did OLCI 48 hrs before your actual arrival time got assigned the best room at that time due to no suite availablity, then an eligible suite becomes available on your arrival?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Will this make the hotel check for the availability of eligible suite when you do the olci and assign one for you?

What would happen if say you did OLCI 48 hrs before your actual arrival time got assigned the best room at that time due to no suite availablity, then an eligible suite becomes available on your arrival?
Of the properties that had a suite available, I haven't been turned down for an upgrade when checking in 48 hours in advance and then asking for the upgrade via the Marriott mobile application.

You raise an interesting question. I look at the check-in time as a tiebreaker as much as anything else.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:14 am

[left]The list was sent daily with the idea that hotels would use it to reassign rooms.

Thanks! This is cool and answers the point to which I was curious - that SPG central was pumping out suggested guidance on upgrades each day. Very interesting!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by hotelboy
A good mantra to remember at hotels...discounted rate...discounted experience.
Why typically Priceline rooms get the crappiest room at the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.