Wiki Posts
Search

Proof of failed upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Proof of failed upgrade

I'm a lifetime Titanium (and that's going to take some getting used to!). Just checked into a CY along with two co-workers. We are all staying one night. One co-worker, who is Gold, got upgraded to a suite.

Now, not only should they be upgrading higher-tiered members first, but Gold members aren't even eligible for suite upgrades.

I really hate to be mad about this, but I have to admit, it's pretty frustrating.

On the phone with the Marriott Rew....errrr... BonVoy folks to inquire if there's some caveat I missed, and they put me on hold to call the property to try to ascertain what happened.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Good. Please tell us what happened because this unacceptable. Last time I wrote on a thread that upgrades should be prioritized by elite status I got yelled at by one certain FT'er.

-RM
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I was attending a conference in SF and my company was staying at a Marriott property 30 minutes away from the conference hotel. This is what transpired at check in between different FDAs within 30 minutes.
  1. TItanium Ambassador - Upgraded to Suite
  2. Gold - No Upgrade
  3. Titanium - No Upgrade
  4. Gold - No upgrade
  5. Platinum - Upgraded to Suite
  6. Titanium - No Upgrade
  7. (Me) Titanium - No Upgrade
I inquired as to why upgrades were not prioritized and the FD Manager said that they prioritized by revenue and first come, first serve. The Platinum indeed had a higher BAR rate whereas everyone was on the discounted corporate rate.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I was attending a conference in SF and my company was staying at a Marriott property 30 minutes away from the conference hotel. This is what transpired at check in between different FDAs within 30 minutes.
  1. TItanium Ambassador - Upgraded to Suite
  2. Gold - No Upgrade
  3. Titanium - No Upgrade
  4. Gold - No upgrade
  5. Platinum - Upgraded to Suite
  6. Titanium - No Upgrade
  7. (Me) Titanium - No Upgrade
I inquired as to why upgrades were not prioritized and the FD Manager said that they prioritized by revenue and first come, first serve. The Platinum indeed had a higher BAR rate whereas everyone was on the discounted corporate rate.
At least the FD manager didn't try to tell you that Tit is below Plat, just like PP was below Plat.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JoeTPA
I'm a lifetime Titanium (and that's going to take some getting used to!). Just checked into a CY along with two co-workers. We are all staying one night. One co-worker, who is Gold, got upgraded to a suite.

Now, not only should they be upgrading higher-tiered members first, but Gold members aren't even eligible for suite upgrades.

I really hate to be mad about this, but I have to admit, it's pretty frustrating.

On the phone with the Marriott Rew....errrr... BonVoy folks to inquire if there's some caveat I missed, and they put me on hold to call the property to try to ascertain what happened.
Years ago something similar happened to me at Seoul CY. My co-worker who was legacy gold got upgraded to a suite but the FD told me (legacy Plat) that there were no upgrades available. We were checking in side by side and we were using the exact same Corp rate. I immediately told the FD that was unacceptable and demanded to see a manager. Mysteriously one suite suddenly became available. I guess my protest worked in Asia but it’s unlikely to work at a North American property as the service is typically worse here than in Asia.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Gold members aren't even eligible for suite upgrades.
A common misconception. Anyone, even a guest with no status at all, is eligible for a suite upgrade if it makes sense for the hotel to do so. It's just like an operational upgrade on an airline.

However, if there are sufficient guests with higher status, they should definitely be upgraded before any "operational upgrades".
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I thought they gave upgrades out in the order you checked in.

i have been upgraded, and a friend who checked in later did not,,

Guess the room was taken..
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Good. Please tell us what happened because this unacceptable. Last time I wrote on a thread that upgrades should be prioritized by elite status I got yelled at by one certain FT'er.

-RM

BonVoy rep stated that upgrades should be prioritized by level and had no idea why a Gold would be upgraded to a suite ahead of a Platinum, Titanium, or Ambassador. He also noted that Golds are not eligible for upgrades to suites in the first place. He out me on hold to call the property to inquire about it, and after 10 minutes or so, the call dropped, so no answer was to be had. I may inquire with the FD at checkout if I have time.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BonVoy rep stated that upgrades should be prioritized by level and had no idea why a Gold would be upgraded to a suite ahead of a Platinum, Titanium, or Ambassador. He also noted that Golds are not eligible for upgrades to suites in the first place. He out me on hold to call the property to inquire about it, and after 10 minutes or so, the call dropped, so no answer was to be had. I may inquire with the FD at checkout if I have time.
Why didn't you call back?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why didn't you call back?

Figured there was a low chance of getting the same rep or that he finished the call and left notes.

He had my MR# and could have looked up my email and sent me the results.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver

did you book directly with the hotel or did you use a third party like Expedia? Was it a cash/prepaid room rate , a cancellable rate or was your booking done with points?

And how do the above scenarios compare to your friend?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by tessy143

did you book directly with the hotel or did you use a third party like Expedia? Was it a cash/prepaid room rate , a cancellable rate or was your booking done with points?

And how do the above scenarios compare to your friend?
If the OP booked directly with Starriott, it shouldn't matter whether the booking was prepaid, paid (partially or totally) with points, or guaranteed with a credit card to be paid at check out, subject to a cancellation deadline. All should be eligible for free elite upgrades, and no matter which of these categories applies, a Gold should not be upgraded into a suite ahead of one or more Titaniums.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
I thought they gave upgrades out in the order you checked in.

i have been upgraded, and a friend who checked in later did not,,

Guess the room was taken..
Not neccesarily...
if all the basic rooms are booked solid, and you have also booked a basic room but it’s 5pm and you still have not arrived and someone walks up and asks for a room but isn’t willing to purchase a suite and that’s all that is left, you best believe the front desk agent will give your booked room away and once you show up you will then be assigned to a suite.

The hotels do what’s financially in best interest for them, let’s not kid ourselves here, as does every other business. It’s just random as you don’t have access to their database of how many of each room type are booked and how many of those booked rooms have checked in already there’s really no way to manipulate the system in your fair without this knowledge.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the OP booked directly with Starriott, it shouldn't matter whether the booking was prepaid, paid (partially or totally) with points, or guaranteed with a credit card to be paid at check out, subject to a cancellation deadline. All should be eligible for free elite upgrades, and no matter which of these categories applies, a Gold should not be upgraded into a suite ahead of one or more Titaniums.

You’re completely right with that comment I was trying to decipher if there is a link between upgrade probability and the way in which the booking was made.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:55 am

Nowhere in Bonvoy materials is it published that upgrades are prioritized according to elite levels. It has never been like that with SPG and it does not appear to be the case with Bonvoy as well. If the number of upgradeable elites arriving on a given day exceeds that of available suites,the property has a tremendous leeway in deciding who gets upgraded, and it will most certainly prioritize according to loyalty to the property itself (not the program), duration of stay and rate rather that elite tier or number of nights stayed with Bonvoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.