Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Interesting Bloomberg Report/Theory on Marriott Woes Driving HHonors Enrollments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Bloomberg Report/Theory on Marriott Woes Driving HHonors Enrollments

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Oh, wow! A whole 98 cent benefit!
Make that a $4.78 benefit... We just stayed at a Hilton property for a conference last week. Everyone we know who was there found an unwelcome $4.78 bottle of water charge on their bill. NONE of us touched the water. Sleazy.

Back to our normally-scheduled Marriott bashing: Last year our office spent more time and money in hotels than it ever has. At the same time, due to Marriott IT issues, we spent more time and money in NON-Marriott hotels than we ever have in a year. When call center wait times are 30+ minutes, the website's down, I'm not risking where I'm going to be sleeping for the night -- I head over to Hilton.com.

Even when the website is up, it's ham-fisted at best, with not being able to sort by price, not being able to find destinations (Beijing pulling up Chinese restaurant locations in the USA), bills not downloadable, confirmation/cancellation e-mails not being received, etc. I just can't believe this is still a problem and has been for so long. Something's not right within Marriott and until they make some major changes in management, it's not going to get better.

It's a shame. I do generally prefer the Marriott properties over Hilton's offerings, BUT, the broken website and broken customer service keep me away from them.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:50 am
J S

Me too

I have also dramatically reduced my Marriott/Starwood stays and just had a lovely stay at a Hilton property. The combination of a) devaluation of my amex, b) data breech (and the terrible response which made it clear they just don't care) and b) plumetting customer service just sapped any loyalty. Two of my last four stays were terrible and one was merely poor (my only paid stay in the past six months resulted in the hotel proactively offering to refund my entire bill without me even asking for any compensation, another stay ws ruined by the strike in Boston and the hotel failed to honor my reserved room type on a third) didn't help.

I have no idea of Hilton is better, but I no longer have any reason to go out of my way to stay at Marriotts.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:54 am

When will people understand that SPG Gold members via CC (or else) supposed to get free breakfast? It was a temporary glitch when Marriott & spg aligned status categories.

I'm sick of people saying “waaaah AMEX & Marriott took away my free breakfast”
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by J S
I have no idea of Hilton is better, but I no longer have any reason to go out of my way to stay at Marriotts.
I wonder if this will be the long-term legacy of the merger? All these years later, in spite of being a 1.5MM flyer w/ UA, they no longer hold any special place of preference in my travel pattern. Whereas I used to go to extreme lengths to stay at least Star Alliance if not UA outright, these days I book whatever looks like the best fit for the given point A->B requirement at hand.
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left
Someone should send Arne this thread. Oh wait. He and his people are too busy creating an atrocious name like Bonvoy.
I was wondering where that name came from and what does it mean.

Anyways, I have been a Hilton member for 20 years. I'm only Gold and I only have that status due to the credit card. I have always been treated very well by Hilton. Only one time in 20 years in Hiltons with Executive Lounges I was not upgraded to the Executive Floor. Even in the US. Last upgrade was this week near SFO.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Wait'll you find out that Hilton Diamond is essentially worthless...
I am still Diamond through 2020 (started in 2017 and was a lifetime PLat with Marriott) and found it to be all kinds of meh. Never once got an upgrade. I did like the free breakfasts at HGI (brand I stayed at the most) but am doing mostly Marriott this year but look for Hilton's as well.
I haven't had any IT issues or CS issues that I can recall. Not sure what all the angst is about in my anecdotal experience.
In fact just booked 4 trips on Marriott.com with nary an issue minutes ago.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I was wondering where that name came from and what does it mean.

Anyways, I have been a Hilton member for 20 years. I'm only Gold and I only have that status due to the credit card. I have always been treated very well by Hilton. Only one time in 20 years in Hiltons with Executive Lounges I was not upgraded to the Executive Floor. Even in the US. Last upgrade was this week near SFO.
In 2 years I was never upgraded to the executive level at properties that did have them. Just because you were doesn't mean everyone was.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Based on all these comments and my personal experiences, I think the real statistic that Marriott should be concerned with is how many elite members chose to book a stay at a Hilton property (or any competitor for that matter) when in the past they would have automatically booked a Marriott stay...not how many additional members HH signed up.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by apodo77
In 2 years I was never upgraded to the executive level at properties that did have them. Just because you were doesn't mean everyone was.
That's why I said "I". I never implied that everyone would be treated well. And anyway if you usually stay at Hilton Garden Inns there's 0 chances that you'll get upgraded to the Executive floor as Hilton Garden Inns don't have Executive Lounges. I rarely stay in hotels but when I stay in them it's usually in a Hilton with an Executive Lounge. That totally increases the chances of getting upgraded.

As a Marriott Platinum due to my United status, I also had good experiences at Marriotts but there too I tend to stay in Marriotts with Executive Lounges. But will reduce my stays in Marriott when I get downgraded to Gold as it's expected.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by finflyer
I totally feel the same. For me the biggest downer has been the loss of being able to credit 3 rooms for night credits. Marriott is losing from me 80+ paid nights because of this. I also went with Hilton and some Accor on the side.
This has to be one of the dumbest moves for the program. I have yet to hear a convincing argument for why they want to shoot themselves in the foot with this.

All of my travel is leisure and half of my leisure travel is with my kids (so I book 2 rooms). This also means Cat 5-7 hotels, for 7-10 nights at a time, so the second room was bringing SPG thousands of dollars in additional revenue. Since I won't get elite night credits for the second room, no problem. Whenever I travel with my family I will be staying, most likely, at non-Marriott properties.

What if I need additional nights to make Platinum? No problem. I will spend $100 to book a "meeting".

So, way to go Marriott: grab the pennies. I will be bringing the real money elsewhere.
unclepants and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JBord
All the stories of people staying at Hiltons are nice, but it would be more interesting (and on topic) to understand how many people here have signed up as new HHonors members as a result of the Marriott-SPG merger.

Having some anecdotal evidence would at least be evidence that there's correlation.
Originally Posted by christianj
I think the real statistic that Marriott should be concerned with is how many elite members chose to book a stay at a Hilton property (or any competitor for that matter) when in the past they would have automatically booked a Marriott stay...not how many additional members HH signed up.
I agree with both of the above.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I used to be a starwood loyalist. only stayed with starwood.

The merger and my issues with it, coupled with the reduction in benefits have made me seek out splitting my stays between Hilton, Hyatt, and Marriot. I stay more where I want to, and the venue that makes the best sense for my particular travel needs. I am now basically agnostic within these three chains. It means I don't hit the higher tiers, but the benefits are so diluted these days anyways I don't care.
itsaboutthejourney and Sabai like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
Based on all these comments and my personal experiences, I think the real statistic that Marriott should be concerned with is how many elite members chose to book a stay at a Hilton property (or any competitor for that matter) when in the past they would have automatically booked a Marriott stay...not how many additional members HH signed up.
Absolutely. This has just become another complaint thread, with people rehashing the same issues they've written about in other threads. I have no problem with people sharing complaints, they just don't belong in this thread.
kennycrudup and Newman like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kaizen7
For someone who did ... say 30 1 night stays, moving to Hilton Honors definitely give better status and benefit.

The person will have Gold Bonvoy. room upgrade (non suite), 2pm late check out if available and silver benefit
At Hilton he will have Diamond which include upgrade to 1 bedroom suite (and being higher tier, I would say he will have better priority on upgrade) late check out (no specific time but all based on availability anyway) and 2 bottles of water!

I would say he got better benefit at Hilton but obviously he losing the footprint of Marriott.
Don't HH Diamonds also get lounge access? [HH Golds don't unless they're upgraded to a club floor room but they do get free breakfast in the restaurant if they don't have lounge privileges.]
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:15 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't HH Diamonds also get lounge access? [HH Golds don't unless they're upgraded to a club floor room but they do get free breakfast in the restaurant if they don't have lounge privileges.]
Yes. Lounge access + 100% bonus on points. I left Marriott for Hilton, and as a Diamond, I've been quite content with the move. I miss the better premium brand offerings like JW, although the Conrad is a solid choice. I've had very consistent upgrades across the board at Hilton, even in some tough properties (Hilton Hawaiian Village). The waived resort fee on award stays is a good perk. I'm also a raving fan of the Hilton app and online check-in that allows you to choose your specific room from the floor map.

When I don't stay at a Hilton I'm generally choosing based on quality and location. Sometimes that's a Marriott/Starwood property, although more often than not it's led me to book boutique brands. Net net, Marriott/SPG have most certainly lost a good chunk of my business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.