Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

1 Day Cancellation Policy for Hotel Booked w/ Points??

Old Feb 13, 19, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

I'm planning a trip to Dubai in January 2020. I made a reservation a couple of weeks ago at the Ritz Dubai for 60K points. The reservation is for early January 2020. I was reviewing the reservation details this afternoon and noticed that the cancellation policy states: "You may cancel your reservation for no charge until February 7, 2019." See screenshot below. February 7th is 11 months before my arrival and I've already passed the cancellation date. I've probably made more than 100 reservations with points over the years, and this is the first time I've ever seen a cancellation policy like this. I'm usually able to cancel up to a couple of days before (or at most a couple of weeks). Has anyone else experienced this or noticed a change in the policy?

Other data points -- I tried booking the W Palm in Dubai for early January 2020 with points, and I received the same cancellation policy of 1 day after booking. I also tried booking a random hotel in NYC in October with points, and it gave me the option to cancel up until the day before. So this must be impacting only select hotels.

This is super frustrating as it dramatically reduces my flexibility with these points. I'm also going to have to argue with Marriott to get the points back for my Ritz reservation if I need to change the date since I didn't notice the cancellation policy when I made the booking.
Old Feb 13, 19, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I posted in another thread that I also saw this recently. I assumed it was an error, but when I caught it before booking I booked elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Traveler56789 View Post
I'm also going to have to argue with Marriott to get the points back for my Ritz reservation if I need to change the date since I didn't notice the cancellation policy when I made the booking.
I'm not sure "I didn't notice" when clicking that you agree to the terms of the reservation is going to work very well. It kind of defeats the purpose of having someone say they agree to the terms. It's a good practice to read the terms you are agreeing to before agreeing to them, rather than a couple of weeks later.
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat
You may also find that this is a new policy that just affect reservations for certain hotels that are made for certain times, such as during major events when they know they'll be heavy bookings and they want to discourage people from making speculative bookings.

I had a similar result when making a points reservation at the Berlin Marriott at the beginning of the year. I was reserving about a month out, but I found out (after booking) that my reservation had a one-day cancellation policy. In my case, it turned out I was staying there over the start of the Berlin International Film Festival and the Marriott was one of the host hotels for some of the festival events.

Fortunately I didn't need to make any changes to my reservation, but as @CPRich noted, this was a good reminder that we all need to check the cancellation policy every time we make a reservation before confirming the booking.
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
St Regis Maldives had a couple like these a few weeks ago. It was corrected.

I joked that both the Advance Purchase, Points and Standard rates all had to be cancelled within 24 hours!
Old Feb 13, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum + LT Silver, Delta/United Gold
Every "prepaid" hotel reservation I have made in recent months comes with such note, even those I do want to prepay. However, in each and everyone of those cases, my credit card on file was not charged untill checkout.
Old Feb 13, 19, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Every "prepaid" hotel reservation I have made in recent months comes with such note, even those I do want to prepay. However, in each and everyone of those cases, my credit card on file was not charged untill checkout.
That may be true-but if you wanted to cancel, you would have been charged. I think the OP is surprised about the lack of flexibility.
Old Feb 13, 19, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum + LT Silver, Delta/United Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
That may be true-but if you wanted to cancel, you would have been charged. I think the OP is surprised about the lack of flexibility.
I cancelled on at least one occasion, after seeing something better at a more affordable rate (higher rate previously at the new property).

Despite the prepayment clause, there was also a cancellation clause allowing me to cancel for no charge until a day prior to reservation arrival date.

Edit: went back to my emails - some more details: reservation booked a week in advance; cancelled 3 days prior to scheduled arrival; booked at different property but nearby.
Old Feb 13, 19, 11:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier; UA Platinum Premier; Hertz Presidents Club
W Maldives is showing the same policy... Cancellation policy is only one day after booking. Also, only offering their more expensive options for next year. I think the hotels that are going to be Cat 8 are waiting until after March 5 to make their point reservations 'normal' in terms of cancellation policy. Seems like it is against the spirit of booking reservations before a hotel becomes Category 8.
Old Feb 14, 19, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
I cancelled on at least one occasion, after seeing something better at a more affordable rate (higher rate previously at the new property).

Despite the prepayment clause, there was also a cancellation clause allowing me to cancel for no charge until a day prior to reservation arrival date.

Edit: went back to my emails - some more details: reservation booked a week in advance; cancelled 3 days prior to scheduled arrival; booked at different property but nearby.

OK- i understand now. There is a difference between prepaid and prepaid with no cancellation. The former-the property can collect the $$ but you have a window to cancel. Might be just a few days before arrival-and they have to refund. As you mentioned, many times the hotels don't even collect upfront.

I was talking about the latter. Where there is little or no cancellation period.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: