Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by naumank
Not sure if this has been already discussed. I have the old AMEX SPG card, and now AMEX is giving me an upgrade offer to get Brilliant:

1. 50K bonus points for $2500 spend.
2. No hard credit pull.
3. Same account number so there's no credit score impact.

I already have Chase CSR so I don't need the priority pass and I will charge airlines and non-Marriott hotel spendings to CSR. What I will really get include $300 credit and 50K annual certificate.

Should I go forward? Is it worth it?
It's borderline. You currently get a 35k annual cert. That will go to 50k. Plus you'll get the one time bonus of 50k points, which is worth about $350. Year 1, your value will be above the annual fee. Year two and beyond it depends how much extra value you get out of a 50k cert vs. a 35k cert. To me, it would not be worth the extra cash outlay.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by joeags
As a data point, I had some of the $300 credit left over with the anniversary coming up soon and purchased a gift card from Marriott. The transaction showed as "Marriott Gift Card.". Regardless, I received the 6x points and the credit from Amex.
Is this physical or e-giftcard?
Old May 7, 2019, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by tomy77
Is this physical or e-giftcard?
Physical for mine.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Bonvoy Brilliant Card - Annual Free Night Posted?

I got an email about 5 weeks ago that the annual free night would post in 8-12 weeks. Voucher still hasn't posted when checking my Marriott account in the Activity section, and calls to Amex go nowhere.

I want to use it for a stay coming up in ~two weeks. Has this voucher posted for others here? Is there anyone I can call to speed up the process?
Old May 12, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Anyone?
Old May 12, 2019, 9:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by viperbrown
I got an email about 5 weeks ago that the annual free night would post in 8-12 weeks. Voucher still hasn't posted when checking my Marriott account in the Activity section, and calls to Amex go nowhere.
I hadn't checked in a while, but I looked just now and my cert was deposited May 2nd (annual fee posted March 1st)

Is there anyone I can call to speed up the process?
No idea, but I tend to doubt it.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Realizing that this card (which I have, got for the sign-up/spend bonus, haven't used since) is arguably worse than the $95 Business card...sure, you get a higher value free cert (for an extra $55), but the points categories are also a lot worse (none of the 4X ones you get w/the Biz card).

Cancellation coming up...
Old May 12, 2019, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold

I want to use it for a stay coming up in ~two weeks. Has this voucher posted for others here? Is there anyone I can call to speed up the process?
I do believe, based on some comments previously in this thread (and my own experience), you should expect to see your certificate in your account 8 to 12 weeks after your renewal date. I think they process them once a month sometime during the the first week of each month. So if your renewal date is the 1st of a month, then you will probably see your cert about 2 months later during that cycle. If your renewal date is say the 8th of a month, then you will probably have to wait closer to the 3 months as that month's cycle has already completed and you will have to wait until the next month's cycle.
viperbrown likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I finally received the replacement metal card today. It looks like a metal sandwich, just like the CSR and others. The back of the card does seem thicker than the front though (due to the contactless feature perhaps?)
Old May 14, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tmiw
I finally received the replacement metal card today. It looks like a metal sandwich, just like the CSR and others. The back of the card does seem thicker than the front though (due to the contactless feature perhaps?)
same here. I hate the many metal cards ... makes the wallet heavier ... now up to 3 of them. Don't see any value in the metal stuff.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I received a survey today from Amex regarding the Brilliant. Absolutely ripped them for the devaluation in earning as compared to the SPG card. I know it won't change, but it felt good (in particular comparing it to the Chase Sapphire Reserve).
EdV and khlay like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:04 pm

I stayed at the Marriott Istanbul Sisli.
The Amex statement shows 2X instead of 6X.
Amex seems confused and unable to fix this.
Any suggestions?

The statement shows this as the merchant.
BERTUGBEY INSAAT

ABIDE-I HURRIYET CAD. NO:142

ISTANBUL

Additional Information

LODGING

And then this...
Will appear on your May 10 statement as MARRIOTT HOTEL SISLIISTANBUL
Old May 15, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
same here. I hate the many metal cards ... makes the wallet heavier ... now up to 3 of them. Don't see any value in the metal stuff.
Agreed - got my replacement card yesterday, don't see the point of a metal card except to be thicker/heavier - therefore not good. I will say the Amex card feels a bit cheapish as a metal card compared to the Sapphire card.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Agreed - got my replacement card yesterday, don't see the point of a metal card except to be thicker/heavier - therefore not good. I will say the Amex card feels a bit cheapish as a metal card compared to the Sapphire card.
Just compared the Bonvoy card to my CSR and they feel about the same. If anything, the AmEx might feel a tiny bit more rigid.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:21 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by chuck1
...Any suggestions?...
Send us the details to the email address below ([email protected]) and we'll be glad to see if we can assist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.