Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by deathwatch
Anyone knows if there is a non-contactless version of this metal card? Probably would feel better in the hand than this. DK if Amex offers it but if they do I will probably go for it.
I know for their other metal cards (e.g. PRG), they do. It might take multiple phone calls to AmEx CS to get though.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I mean why would anyone care what their car feels like when driving? Why would anyone pay a premium for anything? The cheapest one will always do.
How much time do you spend with your card in your hand vs spent driving?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
How much time do you spend with your card in your hand vs spent driving?
If you ask how "many" times, I can say I use the card more than my car
I don't care about the feeling but I DO care about the quality. The metal layer and the plastic layer of my CSR detached and was hard to insert to the reader slut or my phone-back packet. I need to get a replacement almost yearly. I hope this one will not have the same problem.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:19 am

Has anyone received their metal card yet?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I don’t think heavier is necessarily premium, it’s like the Tumi Vapor luggage vs Alpha 2; both same premium point. I prefer lightweight flat plastic for cards and usually order 2 at a time so not worried about durability.

I mean why would anyone care what their car feels like when driving? Why would anyone pay a premium for anything? The cheapest one will always do.

I just thought this is the cheapest feeling metal card I have ever gotten. If you don't care fine but do you really have to reply to me? I am pretty sure there is a thread on flyertalk talking about the 2 versions of amex plat.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:29 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Thanks. Any idea how quickly the bonus points show up in your account after hitting the $5K spend?
Mine posted today, two days after my spend posted.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:54 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rjruiz
Has anyone received their metal card yet?
Not yet, but I did get a reminder email yesterday saying I'll receive it sometime this month.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Still no metal one for me either.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Not yet, but I did get a reminder email yesterday saying I'll receive it sometime this month.
The email I received has this:

"Your new, stainless-steel Card will be sent automatically starting April 2019 and over the following months. To prevent any delays, please make sure your address is up to date in your account. Check your account address."

So it could take several months to receive mine. I'm not surprised I haven't received it yet. It's only April 6.
rjruiz likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:08 pm

Quick question - I just received and accepted the offer to upgrade to the Brilliant card with the 100K bonus for $5K spend; do I have to wait for the new card to arrive for the spend to count, or does the spend I put on my current card count towards the $5K MSR? I know that the account number remains the same, but I want to know whether I should hold of on charging certain expenses or whether I can just do it now as they will count. Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Quick question - I just received and accepted the offer to upgrade to the Brilliant card with the 100K bonus for $5K spend; do I have to wait for the new card to arrive for the spend to count, or does the spend I put on my current card count towards the $5K MSR? I know that the account number remains the same, but I want to know whether I should hold of on charging certain expenses or whether I can just do it now as they will count. Thanks.
It should be ok to use right away based on what CSR said. Just for safe, I've waited one day before I start to use it. I think the card type on my online account changed in couple days after the upgrade.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by khlay
It should be ok to use right away based on what CSR said. Just for safe, I've waited one day before I start to use it. I think the card type on my online account changed in couple days after the upgrade.
In my case the card image and type changed in the app within a few hours

I would think that once the upgrade goes through, any spend from that point onward counts whether you've received the card or not; that being said, at the risk of restating the obvious, unless the purchases need to be made soon there's not much to be lost by waiting to be on the safe side.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I'm curious what people's experience has been with an upgrade and amex offers on the card prior to the upgrade? I have an offer on my current card that I'm waiting to use, but am also interested in doing the upgrade they're offering me for the 100k points. Will my offer still be on the new card, or will they wipe the offers clean with the upgrade? I haven't asked Amex yet -- figured I'd ask people who may have actual data points to share.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by khlay
Originally Posted by Zorak
In my case the card image and type changed in the app within a few hours

I would think that once the upgrade goes through, any spend from that point onward counts whether you've received the card or not; that being said, at the risk of restating the obvious, unless the purchases need to be made soon there's not much to be lost by waiting to be on the safe side.
Thanks. The card type just changed online (took only hours and it seems that these types of changes take effect after midnight EST). I also got an email that the card was also changed in my Google Pay (I now see the new card in GP as well) so I'm guessing the changeover is complete. I have to make a tax payment (not MS related, but my actual tax bill) and as we all know Monday is the deadline so I was hoping to pay that. I doubt that the new card will be here by Monday so waiting on that expense is not an option. I guess I'll take my chances and hope for the best - my hope was to get a dp from someone who's spend prior to receiving the card counted for peace of mind purposes.

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I'm curious what people's experience has been with an upgrade and amex offers on the card prior to the upgrade? I have an offer on my current card that I'm waiting to use, but am also interested in doing the upgrade they're offering me for the 100k points. Will my offer still be on the new card, or will they wipe the offers clean with the upgrade? I haven't asked Amex yet -- figured I'd ask people who may have actual data points to share.
All of the offers I added prior to the changeover are intact and still available. Offers that I hadn't selected before the changeover are still there as well. So if you've been holding out to preserve your savings on all your wine purchases they should be there after
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by halamadrid
All of the offers I added prior to the changeover are intact and still available. Offers that I hadn't selected before the changeover are still there as well. So if you've been holding out to preserve your savings on all your wine purchases they should be there after
Ha! Thanks. I have an offer for a no-fee Plan It for Bonvoy purchases which I'm intending to use for an upcoming trip, and I wanted to make sure I won't lose it with the upgrade. Plus that trip alone will get me more than half-way to the minimum spend requirement for the points, so I want to get the upgrade first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.