Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Interesting how they shifted your limit. I had the old non luxury spg card and that limit wasn’t touched
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Applied this morning and got instantly approved - any idea how long it takes to get the physical card? We leave next week and have a few nights at the Sheraton Waikiki so really hoping I have the card by then. Read through the last several pages of this thread and didn't see that addressed.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Interesting how they shifted your limit. I had the old non luxury spg card and that limit wasn’t touched
Likewise, I have three AMEX cards now so I'm going to check on the credit lines to see if something was shifted.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Applied this morning and got instantly approved - any idea how long it takes to get the physical card? We leave next week and have a few nights at the Sheraton Waikiki so really hoping I have the card by then. Read through the last several pages of this thread and didn't see that addressed.
You should have it by the end of the week -- mine was 5 days and shipped overnight (applied Wednesday and arrived today), so call it 3 days processing and then a day or two for shipping.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
Originally Posted by High Technology
You should have it by the end of the week -- mine was 5 days and shipped overnight (applied Wednesday and arrived today), so call it 3 days processing and then a day or two for shipping.
you should be able to get the card shipment expedited.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I applied on the 13th at 7pm and got my card by 1pm on the 15th
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Applied this morning and got instantly approved - any idea how long it takes to get the physical card?
I applied February 14. The card arrived today.

Oddly, it is the old card stock, saying SPG on the front, with SPG Ts and Cs. There was an insert saying that I would get the Bonvoy card in due course. I should have thought they had sufficient advance notice to provide the new Brilliant card.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I applied February 14. The card arrived today.

Oddly, it is the old card stock, saying SPG on the front, with SPG Ts and Cs. There was an insert saying that I would get the Bonvoy card in due course. I should have thought they had sufficient advance notice to provide the new Brilliant card.
Is it just the purple SPG Luxury card you received?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by poisson
Is it just the purple SPG Luxury card you received?
Yes, Starwood phone number and all.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by High Technology
As someone who had an AMEX card of some sort for about 30 years, each year they get less and less organized. I know AMEX went from a luxury brand to a mainstream brand, but not having the card design ready to go Day 1 is just stupid. Mine arrived today via UPS, and if had come from MR instead of SPG (and wasn't a frequent visitor here), I might have asked what the heck is SPG and why did they send me a different card?

Poor marketing and branding, for which there is no excuse IMHO...

Oh, and upon application I asked for the instant card number -- the AMEX site reported it was having an issue and couldn't provide it. They did say the'd post a $60 credit though, which I see they did when I registered the card (that's actually better in my opinion)!

By the way, for those with other AMEX cards, they took about $10K from my $30k limit on my Delta Gold card and gave me a $21k limit on this card. I really don't care as I only maintain the Delta card so I can spend my Skypesos as pennies against fares, so maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but they appear to have pulled from the least used card. I guess if asked I would have told them to take from the regular SPG card since I wasn't offered the upgrade so I did a fresh app (and plan to discontinue the regular SPG card shortly). It's only slightly offensive to me that they did this because I've had 30 years with them, never paid late and have an 800+ credit score. But since the Great Recession, Amex has been a very different animal...

heck, I upgraded from SPG to SPG lux last fall and am still waiting for my Lux card to come in the mail. My hopes aren't high that I'll get the Bonvoy branded one anytime this year.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Here's the new chart that might come in handy

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/eligi...-bonvoy-cards/
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:46 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I just upgraded my old SPG card to the Brilliant card for the points. Under the Chase/AmEx rules, I won't even qualify for the bonus points since I hold SPG, SPG Biz, Marriott Biz and Ritz Carlton cards. Who knows what is going to happen with all the cards. But I can put the MR points to good use now.

Family members do not get this targeted upgrade offer. If we do receive the offers, we'll upgrade too.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:31 am

Is there a way to liquidate the $300 stay credit the same way one can do with the Aspire? Presumably if I can find a hotel that charges my card upon booking, book a night, then cancel it, it would work. But Marriott doesn’t seem to have advance purchase room rates that allow refunds far into the future — am I wrong?

I’ve already tried booking an advance rate with “cancel within a day” language, then cancelling the booking at the end of that period, but nothing was charged to my card.

(Dealing with this benefit has been a bit of a nightmare, to be honest. During the time I had various Amex offers active I ended up speaking to nearly every Marriott\SPG front desk in NYC fishing for gift cards that were never available.)
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:49 am

Does anyone know how soon the $300 credit will hit your account after renewing the card? My anniversary was two weeks ago and had a Marriott stay this week. Guess I’ll find out in a few days but curious if the credit gets applied immediately or if you need to wait a certain amount of days after renewing.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:16 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Last Sept. I upgraded my card and paid a whopping $23 and some change for the increased Annual Fee. I was told my renewal was January. I had a couple of stays in September and October where I received my initial $300 credit. No problems and the credits posted to my account a couple of days after the charges did. The renewal $450 didn't hit my card until Feb. 8th, but I had already received my 2nd $300 credit for a stay in mid-January. So the $300 credits have worked perfectly with no required intervention from me. ^

I was definitely surprised that they applied the 2nd $300 credit before I was charged the renewal fee.
EdV likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.