Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
The $100 RC and SR credit is on the Marriott website below. Coming March 28, 2019.

Also from the website:

https://credit-cards.marriott.com/en-us/amex-us

This will mirror the Ritz Carlton J.P. Morgan card's existing $100 RC credit, though that card is also going to have St. Regis added as an option too starting in April 2019.

One note: The $100 RC credit for the Ritz Carlton J.P. Morgan card ALWAYS requires bookings be made with fare code "Z34", so I imagine there be a similar requirement for this card.

https://creditcards.chase.com/marrio...r/ritz-carlton
thank you for this. Hopefully the code is not needed and if it is the rate is equivalent to members rate and not $100 more expensive negating any value
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Nuhusky

thank you for this. Hopefully the code is not needed and if it is the rate is equivalent to members rate and not $100 more expensive negating any value
Will it not work for resort fees?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I’m sure it would pay resort fees but if the rate to use this benefit is $100 more expensive or even slightly more expensive than the rack rate makes the benefit points. Will have to wait and see how this is implemented
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Both myself and spouse have the100K upgrade offer for our SPG cards (I assume everyone gets it). I was considering cancelling both of our SPG cards but for 100K points might make sense. I assume if I upgrade before account anniversary would I get the 50K cert on the anniversary and not the 35K cert?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
The $100 RC and SR credit is on the Marriott website below. Coming March 28, 2019.

Also from the website:

https://credit-cards.marriott.com/en-us/amex-us

This will mirror the Ritz Carlton J.P. Morgan card's existing $100 RC credit, though that card is also going to have St. Regis added as an option too starting in April 2019.

One note: The $100 RC credit for the Ritz Carlton J.P. Morgan card ALWAYS requires bookings be made with fare code "Z34", so I imagine there be a similar requirement for this card.

https://creditcards.chase.com/marrio...r/ritz-carlton

From what I can see this rate does not work on basic room at a RC in Chengdu or Bangkok but to the next category which makes it a bit more expensive imho.

Originally Posted by zagguru
Will it not work for resort fees?
I do not think it will work on resort fees per the Rate Details at 2 different RCs that I looked into.

Rate Details:
The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card 100 (USD) Credit
-Guest must stay at least 2 nights and pay the retail rate in
order to receive the 100 (USD) credit
-The credit can only be used on Dining, Spa Services, or other
on-property recreational activities (hotel services i.e. golf
or watersports, managed by the property - not a third party)

-Credit must be used during the original reservation and is not
valid on consecutive reservations in the same hotel
-The credit cannot be applied toward the room rate and is not
valid on alcohol, taxes, gratuities or any hotel service
provided by a third party
-There will be no refund issued on any un-used portion of the
credit. It is non-transferable and cannot be combined with any
other offer or promotion. It does not apply to packages,
discounts, negotiated or group rates, STARS, FHR/Centurion,
Virtuoso, Signature or Ritz-Carlton Club Members and Resident
Owner offers booked through HRS
-Guest must pay for their stay with their Ritz-Carlton Rewards
Credit Card

I’m sure it would pay resort fees but if the rate to use this benefit is $100 more expensive or even slightly more expensive than the rack rate makes the benefit points. Will have to wait and see how this is implemented
It doesn't seem promising so far unless someone else is paying for the room.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Maybe it's just poorly written, but when I was checking the benefit terms just now to see when the 15 nights are supposed to post, the 15 nights were only listed under a section headed 'For accounts opened after 01/01/19'

Did they strip this benefit from older accounts or am I being paranoid?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Any data point on having regular personal Bonvoy card recently and still being able to get Brilliant Luxury card w/ 100K bonus? I'm not looking at upgrade, but want another personal Marriott card.

I know if you have (or had recently) any of the personal Marriott cards from Chase you're SOL.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I have the Personal SPG (Bonvoy) and was targeted for the SPG Luxury (Bonvoy Brilliant) card so I was able to do what you’re asking.

However, I have yet to hit $5k so I suspect by the end of May I’ll be quite flush in Marriott points.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by zymm
Maybe it's just poorly written, but when I was checking the benefit terms just now to see when the 15 nights are supposed to post, the 15 nights were only listed under a section headed 'For accounts opened after 01/01/19'

Did they strip this benefit from older accounts or am I being paranoid?
Huh, interesting. However if I click on Benefits while logged in to my AMEX account and then click "Learn More" I get this page:

https://global.americanexpress.com/c...e-night-credit

which I believe requires a login, but it says at the top: "Coming in 2019: Each calendar year you can receive credit for 15 nights towards the next level of Marriott Bonvoy Elite status. Limit one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Bonvoy member. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.‡"

and then in the footnote it has the same identical language as on the public benefit terms page.

So I think this is just sloppy copywriting, and the "for cards opened after 1/1/2019" is just a modifier of the first paragraph as a blanket policy. The public page *used* to have language about cards opened before 1/1/2019 and someone probably thought they were being clever by removing that paragraph since it's no longer possible to open a new account before 1/1/2019.

If they were stripping it from older cards you would think they would have made a much bigger announcement (and ensuing outcry...)

Originally Posted by vincewy
Any data point on having regular personal Bonvoy card recently and still being able to get Brilliant Luxury card w/ 100K bonus? I'm not looking at upgrade, but want another personal Marriott card.

I know if you have (or had recently) any of the personal Marriott cards from Chase you're SOL.
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I have the Personal SPG (Bonvoy) and was targeted for the SPG Luxury (Bonvoy Brilliant) card so I was able to do what you’re asking.
Same -- I got the upgrade offer, and then the new card offer, so I did them both (new card first) in the latter half of 2018.
vincewy and zymm like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Same -- I got the upgrade offer, and then the new card offer, so I did them both (new card first) in the latter half of 2018.
Not sure if one is allowed to hang on to 2 identical cards but I only want 1 luxury and 1 regular. Without 100K offer I would not have considered this before April 24th, since a huge chunk of my spend would be traveling (at least 4K) and I'd be looking at opportunity cost of 12K TY points from Citi (subsequently miles) out of the 5K spend.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:13 pm

My question is, I already have a Brilliant card, as well as regular Bonvoy card. Has anyone had a similar situation and gotten targeted offer to upgrade the Bovoy card for 100k?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

The rate code is needed. As far as the rate not negating the value of the credit.... I love your wishful thinking!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by vincewy
Not sure if one is allowed to hang on to 2 identical cards but I only want 1 luxury and 1 regular.
I've had two Lux (now Brilliant) cards for over 4 months.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by zagguru
My question is, I already have a Brilliant card, as well as regular Bonvoy card. Has anyone had a similar situation and gotten targeted offer to upgrade the Bovoy card for 100k?
Looks like you've just answered my question. The reply earlier also answered your question.

I can see why all bloggers recommend against getting Chase Marriott, not only are you taking up 1 of the 5/24 slots (if you're on Chase bandwagon), you're also locked out of multiple AmEx Bonvoy card offers.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Card came in the mail today. They shipped a plastic SPG Card with a leaflet in the package indicating they will send a new metal card at some point in the future with the bonvoy branding

i dont mind so long long as the numbers don’t change but I’m a bit surprised Amex wasn’t more prepaired given the campaign and bonus points. I’d assume quite a few new cards will be activated
As someone who had an AMEX card of some sort for about 30 years, each year they get less and less organized. I know AMEX went from a luxury brand to a mainstream brand, but not having the card design ready to go Day 1 is just stupid. Mine arrived today via UPS, and if had come from MR instead of SPG (and wasn't a frequent visitor here), I might have asked what the heck is SPG and why did they send me a different card?

Poor marketing and branding, for which there is no excuse IMHO...

Oh, and upon application I asked for the instant card number -- the AMEX site reported it was having an issue and couldn't provide it. They did say the'd post a $60 credit though, which I see they did when I registered the card (that's actually better in my opinion)!

By the way, for those with other AMEX cards, they took about $10K from my $30k limit on my Delta Gold card and gave me a $21k limit on this card. I really don't care as I only maintain the Delta card so I can spend my Skypesos as pennies against fares, so maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but they appear to have pulled from the least used card. I guess if asked I would have told them to take from the regular SPG card since I wasn't offered the upgrade so I did a fresh app (and plan to discontinue the regular SPG card shortly). It's only slightly offensive to me that they did this because I've had 30 years with them, never paid late and have an 800+ credit score. But since the Great Recession, Amex has been a very different animal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.