Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:48 pm

Smile

Hello, first time posting

Can anyone confirm this:
I have a SPG Personal that will hit anniversary on 3/31
If I upgrade to SPG Lux now,
I will be charged prorated AF of ~$75 (450x2/12) for Lux card and get refund of ~$16 (95x2/12) on my SPG card,
and will be able to use $300 credit right away using the existing card until new card arrives,
and sometime after 3/31, I will get hit with $450 af, but will be able to use $300 credit again and get awarded 50k free night within 8 weeks?

Last edited by pringless; Feb 5, 2019 at 3:18 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pringless
Hello, first time posting

Can anyone confirm this:
I have a SPG Personal that will hit anniversary on 3/31
If I upgrade to SPG Lux now,
I will be charged prorated AF of ~$75 (450x2/12) for Lux card and get refund of ~$16 (95x2/12) on my SPG card,
and will be able to use $300 credit right away using the existing card until new card arrives,
and sometime after 3/31, I will get hit with $450 af, but will be able to use $300 credit again and get awarded 50k free night within 8 weeks?
My data points:
  • I had the SPG Amex Personal with an anniversary of November.
  • I upgraded in September.
  • I did not pay a prorated annual fee
  • I received a $300 travel credit within a couple weeks of upgrading the card.
  • My $450 annual fee billed in November.
  • I received a second $300 travel credit in November.
  • My 50K free night award posted in early January.
I think that answers your questions....

Welcome to FT
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by joeags
As a data point, I had some of the $300 credit left over with the anniversary coming up soon and purchased a gift card from Marriott. The transaction showed as "Marriott Gift Card.". Regardless, I received the 6x points and the credit from Amex.
I had read at the beginning of the thread that it's a 1 shot $300 credit that must be used to get the credit. Is this not true? So if I book a rate of $200, I'll get $200 credited back and then I will still have $100 left?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NightFury1
I had read at the beginning of the thread that it's a 1 shot $300 credit that must be used to get the credit. Is this not true? So if I book a rate of $200, I'll get $200 credited back and then I will still have $100 left?
Yes. It can be used in parts.
NightFury1 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Yes. It can be used in parts.
Which is surprising since AMEX is the king of breakage.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
duplicate

Last edited by MasterGeek; Feb 11, 2019 at 2:00 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:59 am
Suspended

• Upgraded to Luxury in September last year and used $300 Marriott/SPG credit.
  • Account anniversary in early February
  • Used new Marriott/SPG credit.
  • Just downgraded to SPG regular card (fee for Luxury hasn't posted yet)

Let's see if I'll get a 50K or 35K free night cert in the next few weeks 😏
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
  • Upgraded to Luxury in September last year and used $300 Marriott/SPG credit.
  • Account anniversary in early February
  • Used new Marriott/SPG credit.
  • Just downgraded to SPG regular card (fee for Luxury hasn't posted yet)

Let's see if I'll get a 50K or 35K free night cert in the next few weeks 😏
Per the T&C, it should be the 35K certificate since your Luxury Card account will not be active at time of e-certificate issuance. From the T&C: To qualify for the Free Night Award, your account must be open and not in default at the time of the Free Night Award e-certificate issuance.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by controller1
Per the T&C, it should be the 35K certificate since your Luxury Card account will not be active at time of e-certificate issuance. From the T&C: To qualify for the Free Night Award, your account must be open and not in default at the time of the Free Night Award e-certificate issuance.
Who knows..If you've been in "travel hacking" long enough, you'll learn that what computers/systems do doesn't necessarily match what the T&Cs say, due to bugs, tight deadlines and gaps in communication between legal, marketing and software programmers/implementers.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Made Possible Upgrade Mistake

I upgraded my regular SPG card to the Luxury a couple of hours ago,(thru my card profile page) not realizing that there were upgrade bonuses offered. When I went to the credit card offers page the SPG Luxury Card didn't show up because I was already in the "upgrade process". I called in and they said they can't tell what the upgrade would've been if anything, since the card while is in transition to the Luxury still is showing up as SPG regular. They said if they were to cancel the upgrade it will take 24-48 hours to be able to reapply for upgrade however, I'm guessing the SPG Luxury Card is coming to a close to upgrade to at midnight... I also could very well not have an upgrade offer but I just thought maybe since I didn't go to the upgrade offers page vs just upgrading within the SPG page that I "missed the offer"

Any thoughts? Thanks

Either way I'm going to keep the card, just find it ashame new applications can still get 75K bonus offer, if I get nothing.

Annual spend over 1M across all AMEX accounts... Meanwhile we have people signing up to cancel cards just to get the $300 credits.... LOL
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant

Wondering who else applied.

I applied this morning was approved with 70K Limit. Will post how long it takes for the 100K to post once the required spend it done.

Anyone else?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Originally Posted by hawata
Wondering who else applied.

I applied this morning was approved with 70K Limit. Will post how long it takes for the 100K to post once the required spend it done.

Anyone else?
seriously thinking about switching from Hilton Aspire to this promo with 100k point offer......
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
It’s a hefty fee though at $450. I’m eligible for the card and love the point bonus but I don’t need priority pass or the other so called benefits. Is $450 worth 100,000 points?

*edit to post* just noticed it comes with $300 in annual Marriott credit making the real annual fee $150. At that price the 100,000 points is a steal. I’m applying

Last edited by Nuhusky; Feb 13, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Be careful if you have other Amex Marriott brand cards.

In my experience even though the application was accepted and card issued, Amex declined the welcome bonus.

The official reason: I already received a welcome bonus on SPG Luxury card last year.

Customer service also said that Amex is cracking down on people just getting new cards for the welcome bonus.

I call that fraud / misrepresentation if they sent you the card/welcome bonus and proof that you were solicited to join.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chix
Be careful if you have other Amex Marriott brand cards.

In my experience even though the application was accepted and card issued, Amex declined the welcome bonus.

The official reason: I already received a welcome bonus on SPG Luxury card last year.

Customer service also said that Amex is cracking down on people just getting new cards for the welcome bonus.

I call that fraud / misrepresentation if they sent you the card/welcome bonus and proof that you were solicited to join.
First line of the offer terms
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card.
You not reading = fraud? Come on.
jfulcher, kalo93406, Kacee and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.