Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
They don't do that for travel credits. Is there a card you're thinking of where that did happen?
Platinum (Canada)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shuuy
Platinum (Canada)
The way AMEX Canada handles things doesn't have much bearing on how AMEX US handles things. I say this as a Canadian who collected many "once per lifetime" sign up bonuses in Canada.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I'm mulling this over too. I doubt that my wife will hit 50 nights in 2019, so for her to retain Plat this would be an alternative.

The problem is the opportunity cost. 75K spend on a 2% cashback card is $1500 in your pocket.

75K spend on the Lux card gives you 150K Marriott points (perhaps more if much of your spend is through Marriott, but that's not the case for me). I think Marriott points are worth about half a cent per point, so 150K Marriott points is equivalent to around $750 in value. That doesn't look as good as my cashback card or even my other points-earning cards.

My other question (and I can't find this answered anywhere): if you spend 75K on the Lux card and either (1) earn or (2) retain Marriott Plat, would you also then get a Marriott Choice Benefit? That would allow you to select 5 Suite Night Awards, for example. 5 SNAs has some value and levels the playing field somewhat compared to spend on my 2% cashback card, but I still don't think it entirely makes up the difference for the cash you are forgoing or the other types of points you could be earning.

So in my wife's case, she would retain Plat status with 75K Lux card spend. Does anyone know if she will earn a Choice Benefit this way?
First off I think there are far better uses of $75k spending than using the SPG Lux for Plat.
Second, as mentioned if you aren't able to get 35 night needed for Platinum this year, or 25 if you do the 10 EQN meeting, Its not likely breakfast and the .25 rewards benefit over Gold (which you get the card/15EQN).
Third to me at least Marriott rewards are worth well over .01/point, not .005. But I pretty much only redeem the points for the 5th night free or and more importantly for airlines miles. 60K points = 25k airlines miles (10% more with United). Pretty regularly Airlines give bonus for airline transfers, I did a the AA 30% bonus last year. 120K turned in to 66.5K AA. I just did a redemption of those AA miles as a business class Cathay Pacifc flight IAD-BKK. (I did the return separately). But 50K airlines miles with lots of airlines as options is worth a lot more than .05/marriott point.
My last two 5th night free redemptions have been well over 1 cent a point, closer to 1.5 cent/point. 50K airline for me is one transcon business ticket from my local airport which is a $1k-$1.2/ ticket.
bizum and Timetospa like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Buying Marriott electronic gift cards works.
Do you mean buying gift cards through the Marriott website? To be on the safe side, I tried a few Marriott/SPG properties in NYC and only one had physical gift cards available. They only couldn't figure out how to get the system up and running to process the transaction...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheFourthHorseman
Do you mean buying gift cards through the Marriott website? To be on the safe side, I tried a few Marriott/SPG properties in NYC and only one had physical gift cards available. They only couldn't figure out how to get the system up and running to process the transaction...
I used mine by buying e-gift cards on the website.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:31 pm

AMEX SPG Luxury Card

Hello everyone. I took a good 15 minutes using the search feature to no avail so I apologize if this has been discussed. I have also tried calling Marriott/SPG/Bonvoy (oof) and they give me the run around with different answers each time. Marriott will say call amex and amex says call Marriott...

I got the card a few months ago and got the welcome bonus. It comes with complimentary Gold elite status. My question is IF I stay 25 nights with the program whether it be at a marriott/spg will I then get bumped to platinum status? No one at Bonvoy seems to know the answer.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by sbr7d
Hello everyone. I took a good 15 minutes using the search feature to no avail so I apologize if this has been discussed. I have also tried calling Marriott/SPG/Bonvoy (oof) and they give me the run around with different answers each time. Marriott will say call amex and amex says call Marriott...

I got the card a few months ago and got the welcome bonus. It comes with complimentary Gold elite status. My question is IF I stay 25 nights with the program whether it be at a marriott/spg will I then get bumped to platinum status? No one at Bonvoy seems to know the answer.

Thanks for the help!
No
sbr7d likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
It comes with complimentary Gold elite status. My question is IF I stay 25 nights with the program whether it be at a marriott/spg will I then get bumped to platinum status?!
That's just status, not nights. The SPG Luxury Amex provides Gold Elite status. The card does not credit 25 nights to your Marriott loyalty (soon to be Bonvoy) account, so you can't simply stay 25 nights to earn Platinum Elite status.

There are two ways to elevate your status with an SPG Luxury Amex card.

You can earn Platinum Elite "after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year."

Also, because you get 15 elite qualifying night credits per year, you only have two stay 35 nights to earn Platinum Elite. (If you have more than one Marriott/SPG credit card, you still get 15 nights total, even if one is an Amex and one is a Chase Visa.)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:56 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
.I got the card a few months ago and got the welcome bonus. It comes with complimentary Gold elite status. My question is IF I stay 25 nights with the program whether it be at a marriott/spg will I then get bumped to platinum status? No one at Bonvoy seems to know the answer.

Thanks for the help!
There is a way to get PLT for 25 nights, but no, you don't get to start at 25 elite nights with Gold. You get 15 elite nights credit with the AMEX, plus one free night cert, do a meeting event for the 10 nights credit and all you need is 24 nights to move up to PLT.

Enjoy.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:56 am

Thanks everyone for the responses
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platnium Premier, Marco Polo Silver, United Silver
Angry SPG Card (Lux or Regular) 15 night credit

Has anyone received their 15 night credit towards status in the accounts?

Last year with the SPG Regular card, I received my 5 night credit on Jan 2... this year with both cards, I have not received anything.

I tried to call SPG Luxury Card, and was told that it was Marriott's responsibility. SPG Luxury Card then transferred me to Marriott, where the Marriott representative told me it was SPG Luxury Card's responsibility to post the 15 night credit.

So apparently neither party is responsible for posting these nights.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by stariooooo
Has anyone received their 15 night credit towards status in the accounts?
Marriott Chase Visa accounts have long had 15 elite qualifying nights as an annual benefit. The nights would post several weeks after the card renewal date.

I assume the new SPG Amex cards will work the same way.
kevin4lee likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:13 pm

Thanks Horace. I was not aware of the card renewal date clause and SPG Card/Marriott were not able to provide answers. I will have to call SPG Lux card again to confirm this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:18 pm

I have 4 of the Marriott cards. 3 AMEX (old spg, biz spg, and the spg lux) and the Marriott Visa card. None of them have posted the 15 nights yet. Go Marriott IT.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:22 pm

somewhere someone failed to consider this during the business combination process..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.