Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by Saidoh
I used the card twice at the Cosmo last year, once at the Wicked Spoon and once at the Henry. These were of course well before the upgrade, but they did trigger the bonus Marriott earning, so I would imagine they would also trigger the credits.

Yes, I have. I had a Sheraton stay back in September when there was an SPG offer at the time, and both the $60 Amex offer credit posted, as well as the $300.

PS. If anyone is wondering if these offers work on multiple stays, it appears that they do; it just appears to take much longer. I had a Ren and CY stay in October, that together were over $300 but individually did not total up to the Marriott offer amount that was going on at the time, so I figured the stays weren't eligible and I forgot about it, but I just received a $60 credit for it a few days ago.
When you used your card at the wicked spoon and at Henry did you stay at the cosmo and did you book the charge to your room
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have already received the $300 credit for a hotel charge and a $100 credit for global entry app. Do these charges still count toward the signup bonus or should I put another $400 on the card?

Originally Posted by Zorak
Just thinking out loud here, if you derive no value from the other incremental benefits of Lux over regular (probably true for a lot of us, esp if holding CSR) then I think it comes down to $95 vs. effective-$150 annual fee, for one-night cert worth up to 35k vs 50k. So as a ballpark estimate assuming you used the cert at its full value, would you pay $55 for 15k Marriott points?
The calculation is not quite so neat because it's not really a matter of points. I cancelled the Chase MR card a couple of years ago because the Cat 5 certs are basically unusable in California and most luxury resort and world class cities. By contrast I expect I will have no trouble finding several properties in the 50k category where the cert can be used and perhaps will save me real $$ over the discounted room rate. If you could just pay extra points on top of the certs then it would be easy to use them in NYC and just buy up. But of course that's not the deal.

To be fair I now have 3 cards with PP membership so that has zero value to me. I don't expect to be carrying this one in my wallet.
nexusCFX likes this.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 23, 2018 at 12:28 am
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by nobody2
Yes - my lifetime plat years went up 1 when my Plat status was granted this year via the $75K credit card spend on an upgraded luxury card.
Thanks. Can you tell me if you were already platinum status before you spent the $75k? This is in their T&C's:

"You cannot receive enrollment in Platinum Elite status through this reward program if you are already enrolled at Platinum Elite status or any higher status."

I'm already platinum from 2018, and I would like to use this to meet my 2019 requirement, but that statement makes me wonder.

Last edited by Newgene; Dec 24, 2018 at 7:56 am
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by happyvoid
When you used your card at the wicked spoon and at Henry did you stay at the cosmo and did you book the charge to your room
Nope, I've never stayed there. I just showed up and handed them my card.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Saidoh

Nope, I've never stayed there. I just showed up and handed them my card.
I take back what I said, then! Have edited my previous post accordingly.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nobody2
Yes - my lifetime plat years went up 1 when my Plat status was granted this year via the $75K credit card spend on an upgraded luxury card.
How / When - were you notified of the Platinum Status?

I am currently Platinum - will not qualify on stays during 2018 for 2019, but have the $75K spend - I see nothing on the AMEX or SPG statements regarding status...
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:20 pm

How long ago did you reach $75k spend and hold the luxury card? With the old SPG Amex I’d receive an email mid year within a month of spending $30k.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:37 pm

Any idea when the 15 night credit appears after opening an account? In reading the fine print, it states 15 nights this calendar year if opened pre 12/31. I need those 15 nights to boost to the next level but just opened the account this past week. I did not see anything about having to achieve any spend for this to occur.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jrb CO
Any idea when the 15 night credit appears after opening an account? In reading the fine print, it states 15 nights this calendar year if opened pre 12/31. I need those 15 nights to boost to the next level but just opened the account this past week. I did not see anything about having to achieve any spend for this to occur.

That starts in 2019. If you need those for status this year then you're SOL.

https://credit-cards.marriott.com/en...iott_US_SPG_EN
schley likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jrb CO
Any idea when the 15 night credit appears after opening an account? In reading the fine print, it states 15 nights this calendar year if opened pre 12/31.
The fine print says "every calendar year" but it also says "on or before March 1."

However these T&C weren't in effect on March 1, 2018 and in any case your account wasn't open then, so...

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
That starts in 2019. If you need those for status this year then you're SOL.
... unfortunately for your situation I concur with this assessment.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:32 pm

Should have figured it was too good to be true. Thanks for the response.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:51 am

Timing of Free Night certificate

Hi. I have the SPG Luxury AMEX card, and I am wondering approximately when the 50,000 point free night certificate will be issued in relation to the account opening anniversary date. I am planning a trip approximately one week after the account opening anniversary. Will I be able to use the certificate for the stay? Can I book the stay now (using either cash or points) in order to reserve a spot, and swap in the free night certificate later? Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
For the legacy (non-luxury) SPG Amex, the free nights have shown up on the 2nd day of the 2nd month following the date the annual fee posts (e.g. fee posts in September, cert posts November 2).

There are no data points yet on the luxury card, but the T&C on the free night are the same on both cards:
"The Free Night Award will be automatically deposited into your loyalty member account within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date in the form of an e-certificate."

So it's speculation, but I wouldn't expect the cert to be available yet a week after the anniversary date.
schley likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:51 pm

Thank you, greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:05 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The $300 credit is cardmember year, not calendar year, right? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.