Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Hi ckelly14,

Was the 15k clearly listed on your statement / points activity as a bonus or was it just "lumped-in" with the overall points for the month?

Thanks
Mine posted today as two bonus transactions. The same for luxury as one bonus transaction. None of them are tied to monthly card activities.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ckelly14
I would give them a call. You should have at least received the 35K certificate...
Thanks, I'll have to get on the phone and find out what's going on!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by YoYoGodMom
Mine posted today as two bonus transactions. The same for luxury as one bonus transaction. None of them are tied to monthly card activities.
Thank you YoYoGodMum for your reply
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeymer01
Thanks ckelly. How do i tell how much ive spent that will count towards this promo? Not sure if ive reached the target yet.
I had to call Amex to find out.

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Hi ckelly14,

Was the 15k clearly listed on your statement / points activity as a bonus or was it just "lumped-in" with the overall points for the month?

Thanks
This just showed up in my Marriott account today as a "bonus"; It was a separate transaction as my statement end date is not until the end of the month. It was not lumped in with other bonuses and was readily apparent when I checked my account.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:33 pm

I used the new Amex SPG Luxury credit card for a pre-paid room reservation at the St. Regis Bora Bora. It did not get categorized as 6x points, nor did I receive the credit (charge was greater than $300). When I called Amex to enquire, I was told this is not a participating property for 6x points (?). I have asked for further review and Amex said they will get back to me.

Anybody else has faced the same issue at the St. Regis Bora Bora or any other Marriott/SPG property?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I just got an email from AmEx saying that I'm getting a new card ("to ensure that I have the latest version available") and that my old one will be deactivated soon. I'm guessing they're finally getting around to issuing me the actual Luxury card? Checking online shows that the card was shipped out on the 7th via USPS, so hopefully I get it sometime this weekend.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GarudaSoars
I used the new Amex SPG Luxury credit card for a pre-paid room reservation at the St. Regis Bora Bora. It did not get categorized as 6x points, nor did I receive the credit (charge was greater than $300). When I called Amex to enquire, I was told this is not a participating property for 6x points (?). I have asked for further review and Amex said they will get back to me.

Anybody else has faced the same issue at the St. Regis Bora Bora or any other Marriott/SPG property?
I have plenty of charges that don't credit correctly. Amex is horrendous w/ these; one thing Chase is much better at. There is no such thing as a non-participating property. The agent made up stuff. Have them file a case to investigate the problem. It usually takes 6 weeks for me to receive the missing points. So far one for each statement. Too much hassle and I wish Amex would finally fix their coding problems.
GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I have plenty of charges that don't credit correctly. Amex is horrendous w/ these; one thing Chase is much better at. There is no such thing as a non-participating property. The agent made up stuff. Have them file a case to investigate the problem. It usually takes 6 weeks for me to receive the missing points. So far one for each statement. Too much hassle and I wish Amex would finally fix their coding problems.
Thanks for the confirmation. How do I get Amex to file a case to investigate the problem? I asked the telephone agent to escalate and he said someone will get back to me. Would that be sufficient?

I tried to find a way to send an online message the way Chase has it, but couldn't find the option on the Amex website.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by tmiw
I just got an email from AmEx saying that I'm getting a new card ("to ensure that I have the latest version available") and that my old one will be deactivated soon. I'm guessing they're finally getting around to issuing me the actual Luxury card?
I got the same message. It noted there's no change in account number. I assume it's just the Luxury branded card they promised me a month ago.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Received the replacement card today. Contactless symbol on both the front and back, not to mention lack of any embossing. (Not sure if anyone's mentioned that yet.)

Also, the actual Luxury card seemed to be more substantial than the previous SPG card, despite being the same thickness. This might be due to the card being newer though.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:23 pm

DP: I received the 50K certificate yesterday (Dec. 2). My anniversary date is Sep. 2. I upgraded to Luxury on Aug. 24.

Question:
Since I have received the certificate and the 100k bonus, can I downgrade the Luxury to regular $95 AF card? Thank you.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
My understanding it can not be downgraded. Probably you will have to cancel (not sure if you will get any of your annual fee back though) and then apply for the $95 card.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hhoope01
My understanding it can not be downgraded. Probably you will have to cancel (not sure if you will get any of your annual fee back though) and then apply for the $95 card.
Where are you getting that from? Why would it be any different from other Amex cards in regards to downgrading?

Very curious since I am considering an upgrade from my regular SPG card, but would want to downgrade in future as $450 aka $150 is still pretty steep. (That and a well timed downgrade can gain a lot of benefits if there is a prorated annual fee return).

Since the card was released in August, I don’t see that there would be any decent data points until after next August because of the 1 year AMEX clawback/ban threat. If I were AMEX, I would absolutely say no to downgrades with refunds in the first year, but after that could there be a different policy? From what I understand, to stay on AMEX’s good side, you have to keep a product for 1 year, and it makes sense to keep on their good side.

Last edited by goldenbear; Dec 8, 2018 at 8:52 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:16 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Read it on the following blog site: https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/am...ngrade_Options Don't know if it is completely true or not (hence why I hedged and said "my understanding" and "probably..."). But I don't remember seeing anyone who has posted or said they were able to downgrade their SPG Luxury card either.

I do believe I read another site that discussed some of the "fine print" in the card T&Cs and there was verbiage around possible penalties if someone cancels their card within 12 months of opening it. So no matter if they let you downgrade or not, I'd make sure to understand exactly what the ramifications might be for closing/downgrading it within 12 months of opening or upgrading the card. (I think there may even be a thread here on FT concerning Amex's cancellation clauses.)
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Read it on the following blog site: https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/am...ngrade_Options Don't know if it is completely true or not (hence why I hedged and said "my understanding" and "probably..."). But I don't remember seeing anyone who has posted or said they were able to downgrade their SPG Luxury card either.
That website only says there is not a ‘no annual fee’ downgrade option. It does not say anything about a downgrade to the regular SPG card. So I would still presume that downgrade to the regular SPG card is allowable - and just like other AMEX downgrades, it’s a bad idea to do it within the first year.

No one should be downgrading from the Luxury before August 2019, unless they are willing to risk the Amex clawback/ban hammer. And because of that, there might not be too many data points until next fall.

From the T&C’s on the Amex website:

If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit points to your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.

Last edited by goldenbear; Dec 8, 2018 at 9:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.