Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Another data point: my 125k points sign-up bonus posted almost immediately after the $5k spend -- no need to wait for the next statement to close.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:37 pm

Platinum spend threshold.

Just for those wondering, my statement cut today that put me over 75k in spend. Points haven’t even posted to the account but I have already been upgraded to Platinum Elite on my Marriott Rewards account. Points usually post for me to my Marriott account a couple days after the statement .pdf is available on my app.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: N/A
Is it the general consensus that if I have the SPG & Marriott Bus/Personal and won't get the upgrade offer for the Lux, it isn't worth upgrading?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by JBG89
Is it the general consensus that if I have the SPG & Marriott Bus/Personal and won't get the upgrade offer for the Lux, it isn't worth upgrading?
Just thinking out loud here, if you derive no value from the other incremental benefits of Lux over regular (probably true for a lot of us, esp if holding CSR) then I think it comes down to $95 vs. effective-$150 annual fee, for one-night cert worth up to 35k vs 50k. So as a ballpark estimate assuming you used the cert at its full value, would you pay $55 for 15k Marriott points?

If some of the additional benefits have value to you then adjust accordingly.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:38 pm

upgraded from the personal SPG to Lux; do you get the 50k cert the first year of having the card or is it after having the card a for a full year and paying the annual fee? I had saved my offer details but once the bonus points hit I threw it away. Forgot about the free night cert....
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by dascc
upgraded from the personal SPG to Lux; do you get the 50k cert the first year of having the card or is it after having the card a for a full year and paying the annual fee? I had saved my offer details but once the bonus points hit I threw it away. Forgot about the free night cert....
If you upgraded to the Luxury card, you should receive the certificate 4-6 weeks after your original personal SPG anniversary date.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ckelly14
If you upgraded to the Luxury card, you should receive the certificate 4-6 weeks after your original personal SPG anniversary date.
My anniversary date was September 7. I upgraded on September 15. Still no certificate in my account.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:31 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I don't think you get the free night cert your first year with the card. The T&Cs state "after renewal...". So I'm guessing you won't see a 50K free night cert until the October, 2019 time frame.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by dascc
You will get it six to eight weeks after you pay the next full annual fee of $450. You don't get it with the prorated year.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pitflyer
You will get it six to eight weeks after you pay the next full annual fee of $450. You don't get it with the prorated year.
Wait, so if I didn't upgrade the card I would have gotten a 35k free night, but since I upgraded I won't get a free night this year? They just charged me the prorated (almost $450) annual fee.a week ago. And the $95 fee was charged October 7, then partially refunded with the new annual fee. I seriously would not have upgraded had I known this!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:41 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FrugalShopper
Wait, so if I didn't upgrade the card I would have gotten a 35k free night, but since I upgraded I won't get a free night this year?
I don't think so. As I stated in my post yesterday, the T&Cs state you get the cert after each annual renewal. The first year you have the card is not a "renewal". I would actually say that upgrading should get you a free night cert more quickly as you won't have to wait a full year before renewal (assuming you didn't upgrade literally on your anniversary day.)
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by FrugalShopper
Wait, so if I didn't upgrade the card I would have gotten a 35k free night, but since I upgraded I won't get a free night this year? They just charged me the prorated (almost $450) annual fee.a week ago. And the $95 fee was charged October 7, then partially refunded with the new annual fee. I seriously would not have upgraded had I known this!
I would give them a call. You should have at least received the 35K certificate...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:35 am

In case anyone is in the same boat, my "spend 15K get 30K bonus points" finally posted to my account, about 8 weeks after reaching the spend requirement...
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:19 am

Thanks ckelly. How do i tell how much ive spent that will count towards this promo? Not sure if ive reached the target yet.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by ckelly14
In case anyone is in the same boat, my "spend 15K get 30K bonus points" finally posted to my account, about 8 weeks after reaching the spend requirement...
Hi ckelly14,

Was the 15k clearly listed on your statement / points activity as a bonus or was it just "lumped-in" with the overall points for the month?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.