Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Has anyone received the final "real" SPG Luxury physical card? It is plastic, correct?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Has anyone received the final "real" SPG Luxury physical card? It is plastic, correct?
yes it's plastic
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by LukFilm
Can you manufacture spend on this card? I thought it worked for non-MR cards but I spent $5,000, statement closed and only got regular points, not the bonus.
To answer my own question, manufactured spend on this card DOES result in bonus points posted (couple of days after the regular points post).
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
To answer my own question, manufactured spend on this card DOES result in bonus points posted (couple of days after the regular points post).
Thanks for the DP. I'm not really MS'ing, but I bought a large Marriott gift card because I have a bunch of future stays and none of the hotels were receptive to the idea of pre-charging my card. I was pretty sure that AMEX wouldn't consider a Marriott gift card to be a "cash equivalent" but it's nice to know it shouldn't matter even if they did.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Both wife and I have this card. Wife got 100k upgrade offer in Sept and upgraded her personal SPG Amex in mid-Sept. Her anniversary date is mid-Oct. She spend over $300 at a Marriott end of Sept and got $300 credit 10/2. Then she spend over $300 at an SPG property in October. Charge posted on 10/13 and she received another $300 credit on 10/15. I thought her formal anniversary date is Oct 14, but I could be off a couple of days one way or the other. Best of all, $600 in credits and no annual fee charged yet. Normally her annual fee posts on the closing date of her Oct statement which should be 10/26 this year. We'll see what fee she gets charged. She has not been charged a pro-rated fee for the one month she was upgraded before her anniversary. No 100K points yet as she hasn't hit $5k spend yet. No new free night cert yet either.

For me, I applied for a new Luxury Card during the 3 days in August before the new bonus restrictions took effect. Already had a bunch of SPG/Marriott Amex/Chase cards. ​​​​​​. Luxury Card instant approval without credit pull. Received $300 credit after first Marriott spend. Received 100K points already. What is interesting is that I think I did not hit and have not hit $5K spend unless you count the $450 annual fee as spend. Regardless YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Both wife and I have this card. Wife got 100k upgrade offer in Sept and upgraded her personal SPG Amex in mid-Sept. Her anniversary date is mid-Oct. She spend over $300 at a Marriott end of Sept and got $300 credit 10/2. Then she spend over $300 at an SPG property in October. Charge posted on 10/13 and she received another $300 credit on 10/15. I thought her formal anniversary date is Oct 14, but I could be off a couple of days one way or the other. Best of all, $600 in credits and no annual fee charged yet. Normally her annual fee posts on the closing date of her Oct statement which should be 10/26 this year. We'll see what fee she gets charged. She has not been charged a pro-rated fee for the one month she was upgraded before her anniversary. No 100K points yet as she hasn't hit $5k spend yet. No new free night cert yet either.

For me, I applied for a new Luxury Card during the 3 days in August before the new bonus restrictions took effect. Already had a bunch of SPG/Marriott Amex/Chase cards. ​​​​​​. Luxury Card instant approval without credit pull. Received $300 credit after first Marriott spend. Received 100K points already. What is interesting is that I think I did not hit and have not hit $5K spend unless you count the $450 annual fee as spend. Regardless YMMV.
My experience was also very positive. My anniversary is next week so my $300 credit will reset, and hopefully the free night certificate will arrive a "few months" afterwards.

The easy to use $300 credit and the free night award make my renewal next week somewhat of a no-brainer despite the $450 moving forward. I'm keeping my card for at least the next year to see how easy is it to use the certificates. I will also receive 2 of the 35,000 variety for my business cards.

My real question is will I actually use the card for spend next year? So far getting 0.8 to 1.1 cpp on rewards, so better than I thought. Hopefully they will keep running spend bonuses...
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
What kind of Ms? . My personal experience is that I have lost points due to Ms GC at office, mall and supermarket.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
What kind of Ms? . My personal experience is that I have lost points due to Ms GC at office, mall and supermarket.
I bought $5,000 of VGCs at a grocery store in one shot.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I upgraded my card via online offer this past week. The new physical card has not arrived. Will it be the same number, just a different printed design on the card? And how soon do my purchases start counting toward the $5k spend target? I've already made a few hundred in charges and would love for them to count....
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I upgraded my card via online offer this past week. The new physical card has not arrived. Will it be the same number, just a different printed design on the card? And how soon do my purchases start counting toward the $5k spend target? I've already made a few hundred in charges and would love for them to count....
The upgrade works almost instantaneously, so your recent charges should count. My new card came in about 5 days. Don't get too excited, it's a pretty underwhelming card.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ckelly14
The upgrade works almost instantaneously, so your recent charges should count. My new card came in about 5 days. Don't get too excited, it's a pretty underwhelming card.
I wonder if it was a temporary new card. They were sending those in late August when they first started the upgrades. Since that time, Amex has indicated that one should continue to use their regular SPG Amex and a new card would arrive when the new card stock is received by Amex. I upgraded on September 5 and still have not received a new card.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by controller1
I wonder if it was a temporary new card. They were sending those in late August when they first started the upgrades. Since that time, Amex has indicated that one should continue to use their regular SPG Amex and a new card would arrive when the new card stock is received by Amex. I upgraded on September 5 and still have not received a new card.
I just upgrade last week and the letter I received said I would receive a new card in one to two more weeks...

Just using my old SPG Amex till it shows up though .
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by controller1
Not sure. It says SPG and has RFID and a chip. No luxury markings anywhere.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Not sure. It says SPG and has RFID and a chip. No luxury markings anywhere.
You can find the contact website on the back of the card: "www.americanexpress.com/spglux"
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
I upgraded to this card as soon as it became available and have not had the annual fee charged yet. My renewal was Nov 17 last year. I just got a letter from AMEX today saying "When you recently transferred Card products, we sent you information about the Annual Membership Fee for your new Card. However, after reviewing your account, we have decided to retain your current Annual Membership Fee on your account at this time." Anyone else get this? Why are they being so generous?

Last edited by bcoco8; Oct 22, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.