Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
Does $300 credit apply to Marriott internatinally
Yes, I stayed on hotels in Canada and India and I got the credit a couple days after the stay happened. I actually got all of the $300 credit even before the first statement closed when the annual fee posts.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ckelly14
No, it should reset on your card anniversary.
Originally Posted by joeags
The wording on the card is card year, not calendar year, so you have until next August to use the credit, unless you upgraded the card, then it links to that cards' anniversary.
Thank you so much for clarifying things. Can't wait to spend my $300
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:56 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I know that the answers are embedded in this thread, so apologies, but:

It was too tempting not to get the 100,000 point for $5k spend deal and now I'm wondering about the benefits:

In that I already received some night stay credits from a Marriott Visa, I'm I precluded from getting the, what is it, 15 free nights: it would push me to the 75 night level, so what the heck....

the Priority Pass benefit is unlimited, and in that I have just about used up my 10 visits from another card do I get reloaded, a new card with a new number, or just put my Priority Pass fees onto my new VIP Amex and they...disappear?

Thanks, and sorry again for my research sloth, J.

btw, this is a new personal card, not an upgrade as the Starwood that I had/have is business.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
SPG Luxury card - Missing 6X points from stays

In a continuing series of issues with Marriott properties in Asia I have the new SPG Luxury card and have been using it for the last month+ at stay in Asia. My first statement just arrived and it would appear I am missing 3470 points from the Marriott stays. The statement gives 2 X points for all purchases then it should give an additional 4 X points for SPG/Marriott stays or an additional 1 for restaurant purchases. I had 4 total stays in the period:

Courtyard Shanghai Changfeng Park
The Plaza - Autograph Collection Seoul
Shanghai Marriott Riverside
Rome Park Marriott

The math is proving difficult since I also received the $300 in statement credits for Marriott purchases on this billing cycle. Does that get deducted from the 4X category? If so it would only be1200 points less so still missing 2270 points. I can't pinpoint which hotel(s) are not coding properly. I do know that neither the Courtyard Changfeng Park and Shanghai Marriott Riverside ever code properly for the Chase Marriott card and I have to send them the statements and receipts every billing cycle to get the points awarded. It is a major pain in the butt that I was hoping the Amex card would not have, but here we are anyway. The Plaza Seoul coded as "Hanwha Hotel Resort" so I am suspicious of that one as well.

A few years ago I had this problem with the Taipei Marriott when using the SPG Amex and it was quickly sorted by the SPG Lurker here and the coding was fixed at the hotel so future purchases did not have the same problem. Is SPG Lurker still here and can they do anything? I can't find a way to send an SM with all the documentation to Amex like I do with Chase every month (Chase refuses to fix the coding).

Thank you in advance for helpful replies. I am aiming for 1.6 million Marriott points by December so timing is of the essence.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Update to this:

I just spent time on the phone with an Amex rep and went through each charge line by line. Surprisingly the two properties that always cause me problems with Chase (Courtyard Changfeng Park and Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside) coded properly and gave me the 6 X points. The Plaza Seoul did not code properly nor did the Marriott Park Hotel Rome. She also said no deduction for the $300 statement credit so I am missing the full 3470 points. She said they would work on it from their end and also contact the SPG team (which I guess still exists).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I believe you don't get bonus category spend dining outsidr of US
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Reached $5K for my upgrade offer last night. Even though the final charges that brought me over haven't posted yet, I'm already seeing the 100K points in my AmEx and Marriott accounts. ^ Definitely a massive improvement over AmEx not posting my bonus for months after when I first got the regular SPG card.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:14 pm

Hi All.

A couple of questions - not that any of us really know, but I'm curious about your thoughts on the below.

If we hit the $75K spend threshold to make Platinum in 2018 but don't truly get upgraded to Platinum in our Marriott account until after 1/1/19 due to the 14-16 week lag, will we:
1. Keep platinum for 2019 and 2020 since we're supposed to get it for the remainder of the year in which we qualify and also the following year or just get it for 2019, as Marriott will consider our qualifying year 2018?
2. Receive only the credit of 1 year of Platinum (towards lifetime Platinum) for 2019 since the lag caused Marriott to upgrade the status in 2019 and ignore the fact that we should have had it in 2018, giving us an additional year as Platinum?

Regards.

Last edited by FlyAAlot; Oct 18, 2018 at 4:55 am Reason: wrong year...
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA, Alaska, UAL, Delta, SPG/Marriott, Hilton
AmEx Luxury SPG Card - but no Gold Elite status

I tried to find a solution in Elliott's Help Forum, and was referred to Starwood Lurker?, so I hope he/she is here and can give insight and/or help.
I upgraded from a regular AmEx SPG card to a Luxury Card in mid-September, but have not been able to get the "automatic Gold Elite" status promised to people with this pricey card.
I have discussed multiple times with Marriott-SPG, and they initially claimed not to be aware that I had this card. Marriott-SPG is now claiming that they cannot make the change.
I have discussed multiple times with American Express, and after several stories, they have landed on telling me that it takes 12-16 weeks to get status.
Either way, because I have heard many stories from both groups, I do not know what and whom to believe, and I really find it hard to believe it can take 3-4 months to attain status after upgrading to a card with a $450 fee.
If Starwood Lurker or anyone else can help out with information, insight, etc., it would be appreciated.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:30 am

it's a common issue. I was already gold, but acheived Platinum on 8/24 and 9/23 statements and still haven't been upgraded to Platinum yet. I called second level people at Marriott and then AMEX and both sides said the other side is responsible and it takes 10-12 weeks so I should just wait. It's been 8 weeks for me without an upgrade.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Has anyone had any issue with Posting points on the SPG Luxury Card?

I gave my Marriott Rewards Number and not old SPG Number and have not had any points post for two billing cycles.

Should I be giving my previous SPG number or current MR number in order to post points?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, UAL, Delta, SPG/Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by cujo2344
it's a common issue. I was already gold, but acheived Platinum on 8/24 and 9/23 statements and still haven't been upgraded to Platinum yet. I called second level people at Marriott and then AMEX and both sides said the other side is responsible and it takes 10-12 weeks so I should just wait. It's been 8 weeks for me without an upgrade.
Just to be certain....this is a known issue? Has it always been like this? and it seems rather ridiculous that it takes this long.
Selfishly, I have 2 stays coming up before the 12-16 weeks that I was quoted is up, and I would have like to have been appropriately credited for the bonuses, etc.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:59 am

Can you manufacture spend on this card? I thought it worked for non-MR cards but I spent $5,000, statement closed and only got regular points, not the bonus.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by chastev67
Just to be certain....this is a known issue? Has it always been like this? and it seems rather ridiculous that it takes this long.
Selfishly, I have 2 stays coming up before the 12-16 weeks that I was quoted is up, and I would have like to have been appropriately credited for the bonuses, etc.
It's definitely a known issue since the merger and the new Luxury card. I am not sure what the process was before the merger and based on the old cards. Multiple people have reported the issue without any resolution beyond the 10-12 weeks "just wait" response from both sides. I haven't seen any documented people confirm they were granted either Gold status for enrolling with the Luxury Card or any Platinum status from those who upgraded to the Luxury from the normal card.

I missed a week long stay of Platinum benefits on a trip that was 6 weeks after i first gained Platinum. I don't have another one scheduled yet before next year.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by td0815
With my own Upgrade from SPG to SPG Luxury I can confirm:

With all that I got the credit after the upgrade done before my anniversary and credit again after the anniversary. With upgrade and anniversary being so close the $300 is close to free because the pro-rated annual fee will be not much.
The anniversary is when you original card was approved and doesn't change with the upgrade.
You mention the $300 credit resets with your anniversary. I already got the $300 credit for year one about a month ago and was charged the old $95 AF a week or so ago coinciding with my original SPG (non-lux version) anniversary date. Does this mean I have a fresh $300 credit now? I was going to wait until they charged the new higher AF associated with the lux card upgrade but maybe I don't have to.

The Amex rep told me a while back that they'd charge the original $95 AF, then the higher $450 AF within 90 days or something, then prorate it all.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.