Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Considering that the annual fee is $450, you're still paying $150 more than what you get in annual credit. Granted, you get other perks associated, like Global Entry fee and free award night after first year, but a lot of the other perks aren't really valid if you guys travel together already (not like she needs status when you guys are already traveling together). If you are gunning for the 100,000 points, then sure $150 (or $50 if you factor GE credit) is a nice way to get a couple nights for free.

Personally, if you don't need the signing bonus, there's not much of a reason (certainly not because of $300 annual credit).
wanalaugh74 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Considering that the annual fee is $450, you're still paying $150 more than what you get in annual credit. Granted, you get other perks associated, like Global Entry fee and free award night after first year, but a lot of the other perks aren't really valid if you guys travel together already (not like she needs status when you guys are already traveling together). If you are gunning for the 100,000 points, then sure $150 (or $50 if you factor GE credit) is a nice way to get a couple nights for free.

Personally, if you don't need the signing bonus, there's not much of a reason (certainly not because of $300 annual credit).
The only consideration is that depending on the wife's anniversary date they can potentially come out ahead with a prorated AF but double dipping the $300 credit.
wanalaugh74 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:14 pm

I just upgraded my existing AMEX SPG account online with the 100K offer. I called the 800# to get clarification on the annual fee, (just paid it last month, wanted to check if it was prorated). The customer service rep said I wouldn't be eligible for the bonus points since I already had an SPG Biz card.

I looked up the T&C of the offer (which I should've read to begin with since it explained prorated annual fee) and there wasn't any exclusion language regarding the bonus and I thought I was in the clear since it was a targeted offer when logging in.

any truth to what the CSR said?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I'm Marriott Lifetime Platinum and long time CSR cardholder, and while this sign up bonus is nice, I don't really see the value in getting this card. Sure I could get 15 nights extra per year and extra points for Marriott stays, but not sure Premier Platinum is worth it...

Anything I may be missing here?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by brp1264
I'm Marriott Lifetime Platinum and long time CSR cardholder, and while this sign up bonus is nice, I don't really see the value in getting this card. Sure I could get 15 nights extra per year and extra points for Marriott stays, but not sure Premier Platinum is worth it...

Anything I may be missing here?
50k free night voucher and $300 statement credit should offset the fee and then some. You already get Boingo, TSA/GE and Priority Pass with CSR right?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:11 am

If you have the upgrade offer on your existing SPG card there is no hard credit pull correct? Maybe applying for a mortgage in the near future so don't want a credit pull right now. I also have CSR/Citi Prestige and the only reason for me to consider this is due to the fact that I can potentially get 100,000 points for an effective additional annual fee of $55. Planning to keep the personal SPG card, AF just hit last month - no retention offers (got one earlier in March). It is my oldest card and I have decided to keep it for at least 1 more year, hence considering the upgrade. Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by neony77
If you have the upgrade offer on your existing SPG card there is no hard credit pull correct? Maybe applying for a mortgage in the near future so don't want a credit pull right now. I also have CSR/Citi Prestige and the only reason for me to consider this is due to the fact that I can potentially get 100,000 points for an effective additional annual fee of $55. Planning to keep the personal SPG card, AF just hit last month - no retention offers (got one earlier in March). It is my oldest card and I have decided to keep it for at least 1 more year, hence considering the upgrade. Any thoughts appreciated!
No hard pull. Upgraded, and since then have pulled my credit report. No inquiries.

Separately, received an email invite for their Luxury House event - a "one-night-only extraordinary luxury-hotel experience celebrating the new Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card." October 17th in NYC. Featuring Swizz Beatz.

This weekend going to the SPG + American Express special performance of Hamilton (though don't think this was Luxury Card specific, just SPG Amex.) Face-value tickets + open bar, concessions & special gift. In six years with the regular card, did not attend one SPG Amex Card event, so these are nice bonuses. ^
innerspace likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Is this e-GC or just physical GC? What does the charge post as?
Originally Posted by ckelly14

yes
Originally Posted by dealhunter999
Does buying $300 Marriott GC online counts towards annual $300 credit?
Bought an e-Gift Card couple days ago, charge posted as MARRIOTT GIFT CARDS MIDVALE UT. Credit not posted, hopefully it will post.

Any other datapoints out there?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by dascc
50k free night voucher and $300 statement credit should offset the fee and then some. You already get Boingo, TSA/GE and Priority Pass with CSR right?
Yeah, so the $300 statement credit will make it $150 a year.

The voucher is okay, but I've had them many times in the past with the Marriott card and always found it difficult logistically to actually redeem them.

I get TSA/GE and PP with the CSR, but not Boingo. Don't really see the benefit to Boingo honestly.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by neony77
Are you truly planning on upgrading the card? You state that you plan on keeping the SPG personal card. So are you planning on having both the personal SPG Amex and the Luxury SPG Amex?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by pitflyer
Amex has their own algorithm now to determine people are eligible for bonuses. They are trying to fight back against people who open credit cards, get the bonus and never spend again. If that's the case with you try putting some spend on your existing Amex before trying to apply again.
Unfortunately I do not think that is the case with me. I have the old SPG Biz that I use for all dinning out purchase and and only other card with them is a Hilton card that I rarely spend on. Going to try calling again to get a decent answer.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Is this e-GC or just physical GC? What does the charge post as?
The charge posts as a Marriott charge and the credit came a few days later. Quite easy and painless. I purchased an e-card but I'm sure the physical card works as well.
innerspace likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:10 am

anyone know how long it takes to get upgraded to gold after getting the card?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
The charge posts as a Marriott charge and the credit came a few days later. Quite easy and painless. I purchased an e-card but I'm sure the physical card works as well.
Did you get 6x points or just 2x for the e-gift card charges?

Last edited by jimmychang; Oct 3, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:08 pm

When did you make the charge? Maybe AMEX made some changes recently.

Mine was a few days ago (e-card as well), and it posted as MARRIOTT GIFT CARDS as opposed to just "Marriott." Credit has not posted (at least not yet), but purchase codes as "Category: Travel - Lodging."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.