Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
I expected it to be almost immediate, but it is now about 8 hours later and the card still says "SPG Preferred Guest". And I forgot to get a screen shot of the upgrade offer. Stupid me. Maybe they noticed that upgrade was initiated from Europe (where we are today) and was in middle of night US time and that got them a bit suspicious. Or maybe they wonder why she got a new AMEX SPG Business Card right before the new bonus restrictions went into effect and now is asking for the personal card upgrade to Luxury.

We'll see.......
My wife's card was upgraded on Monday evening and showed up this morning as the Luxury card with the same number.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So woke up this morning and wife's card had been upgraded to Luxury card. Took somewhere between 8 and 15 hours.

Last edited by RobUAIntl; Sep 27, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
So woke up this morning and wife's card had been upgraded to Luxury card. Took somewhere between 8 and 15 hours.
Yet it takes 14-16 weeks for your PE status to change once you have qualified for it.
Doesn't that seem weird in light of how quick the info. regarding card type can be changed.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Yet it takes 14-16 weeks for your PE status to change once you have qualified for it.
Doesn't that seem weird in light of how quick the info. regarding card type can be changed.
I dare say that the 14-16 weeks is on Marriott not Amex. My card was upgraded within hours. My 100,000 points was posted the day after the $5,000 spend was reached. IMO Marriott is notified of the move to Platinum status and takes their own sweet time about processing it.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
I dare say that the 14-16 weeks is on Marriott not Amex. My card was upgraded within hours. My 100,000 points was posted the day after the $5,000 spend was reached. IMO Marriott is notified of the move to Platinum status and takes their own sweet time about processing it.
Agreed. I believe the CSR from Amex I spoke with said as much. Anyone have any thoughts on how we can show our displeasure?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I wonder how long it takes Marriott to upgrade members to Gold when they get their Luxury card? I assume that doesn't take 10-14 weeks?
I also know that Hilton upgrades to Gold or Diamond from their respective cards is nearly immediate too.

If that's the case, either Marriott is taking its own sweet time specifically for Platinum upgrades, or if Golds are affected, on all status upgrades.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:40 am

Is anyone else having issues with the link for this card in the first post? When I click it the landing page says "Oops, we're sorry. This offer is not available at this time."

Also, I applied for this card yesterday through my amex portal and said I was pre-approved and all it asked for was yearly earnings and something else. When i clicked submit it said I was not eligible for welcome bonus which seems wrong to me. I only have 2 amex cards, 1 being old SPG business before merger, and have never had any of the Marriott chase products. Called customer service, which was a total waste of time and zero help.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:56 am

Does buying $300 Marriott GC online counts towards annual $300 credit?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by pitflyer
I wonder how long it takes Marriott to upgrade members to Gold when they get their Luxury card? I assume that doesn't take 10-14 weeks?
I also know that Hilton upgrades to Gold or Diamond from their respective cards is nearly immediate too.

If that's the case, either Marriott is taking its own sweet time specifically for Platinum upgrades, or if Golds are affected, on all status upgrades.
They did a rush job on integration and now are tanking. I wonder if they were forced by some legal requirements to rush the merger, resulting in a lackluster deployment with tons of issues.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by dealhunter999
yes
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by departingBOS
Is anyone else having issues with the link for this card in the first post? When I click it the landing page says "Oops, we're sorry. This offer is not available at this time."

Also, I applied for this card yesterday through my amex portal and said I was pre-approved and all it asked for was yearly earnings and something else. When i clicked submit it said I was not eligible for welcome bonus which seems wrong to me. I only have 2 amex cards, 1 being old SPG business before merger, and have never had any of the Marriott chase products. Called customer service, which was a total waste of time and zero help.

Any thoughts?
Amex has their own algorithm now to determine people are eligible for bonuses. They are trying to fight back against people who open credit cards, get the bonus and never spend again. If that's the case with you try putting some spend on your existing Amex before trying to apply again.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:15 pm

I want to use the $300 SPG credit at the JW Marriott Spa in San Antonio. I'm looking to just buy a massage for my wife and her mom ($150 each). I've heard conflicting opinions on if this would work so if anyone has a data point that would be appreciated.

Can I just send them both to the spa and have them get their massages and use my credit card and get the $300 reimbursed with the credit??? I've read in the T&C that the charges have to be applied to your room charge but I know that is not always true or needed to get the trigger. Anyone have any data points spending money at a Marriott Spa without actually staying the night there (thus not having a room to charge the spa fees to)?

If it doesn't work to do that, I've read a few people say I could just go to the marriott and buy a $300 marriott gift card and that that would trigger the $300 credit. I could then pay for the massages with the $300 gift card. Has anyone recently bought a $300 gift card and had it work? If so, how fast did you get the $300 credit posted to your account? Thanks!!!
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ckelly14

yes
Originally Posted by dealhunter999
Is this e-GC or just physical GC? What does the charge post as?
LF72 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:49 am

Worth having 2 SPG Luxury Cards if family travels a lot?

My wife and I have 3 kids and we travel to Marriott and SPG properties 5-6 weeks out of the year. Would it be worth it to get a second Luxury card in my wife's name? I already have 1 Luxury card and the Hilton Aspire card that covers the whole family for Priority Lounge access. But since we pay so much in taxes/parking/fees in places like NYC/PHL/CA, I thought we could curb some of the out of pocket expenses with the $300 annual credit. My wife has an upgrade still available from her personal SPG CC. Any opinions would we greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sintaku
They did a rush job on integration and now are tanking. I wonder if they were forced by some legal requirements to rush the merger, resulting in a lackluster deployment with tons of issues.
I've wondered this too. It feels like they slapped it together without testing anything, without preparing for any customer support issues, and without any kind of thought about what might happen if it doesn't all magically integrate perfectly.

A legal requirement would make sense I guess. That would explain the rushed midyear date and total lack of preparation for the fallout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.