Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by hbcobra
To clarify, the question is whether the $300 spend, with the $300 statement credit, counts toward the upgrade sign-up bonus (spend $5,000 in 90 days to get 100,000 points for upgrading).
Counted towards my spend on a new account. I posted my total a few posts back. If that helps.
hbcobra likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Please let us know if you get any replies.

Have a big trip coming up in 2 weeks and would love to see my status change now that I have also just got the statement with 75K spend level now met.

Thanks
I heard back from Marriott and confirmed with American Express. My account will be upgraded....in 14-16 Weeks! No explanation. I submitted a formal complaint with the rep.

Totally dumbfounded at this point. If I'm not upgraded by my trip in October, I may need to cancel this card.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by hbcobra
To clarify, the question is whether the $300 spend, with the $300 statement credit, counts toward the upgrade sign-up bonus (spend $5,000 in 90 days to get 100,000 points for upgrading).
No, the question is was the 30k spend offer after the card was upgraded with the 100K offer . Ie, one upgrade offer and then the bonus spend offer on the same card.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
One note of caution for non-US based people/ those travelling outside US for extended periods... I upgraded card but they told me initially they couldn't send card to non US address but that I could keep USing old card and when I go to US address I could activate now card then.

Got email saying they will deactivate old card in 15 days. Spoke with 9 agents!! And they finally figured out how to send csrd to my main non US address so I could keep USing card.

However I won't receive card before i go on a multi continent trip. I spoke again with 3 agents to see if they could extend deactivation deadline of old card.

They can't. So i will go for a while without my Amex until I return to my main non US address (probably won't be are to qualify for 30,000 point $15k in spending bonus now).

If I had known the difficuktirs I would have not upgraded until I knew I'd be in US long enough to receive now card. The upgrade points are nice (got my 100,000 points already) but now will be without a card for months
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Check out my post (#169 in this thread) and the answer I received (the next post.) I think you will find some similarity between our situations.
Nice, looks very similar. Let me know if you get confirmation on your questions. CSR rep said I'd double dip on the $300 credits but was hoping to hear confirmation by someone in this forum.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by sngorman

Applied on Friday got it on Tuesday
Thanks! Wow, that was quick. I ended up deciding against it, at least for the upcoming trip. I really don't need another card! But there's still time
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Was this in addition to the 100k offer to upgrade?
Thanks
YES, I GOT A 100,000 point upgrade offer in August and spent the $5000 that first week. I already have received the 100,000 points.

Just yesterday, I got the other offer of $10 k for 20,000 points and $5 k more (for a total of $15 K USD) and then get 30,000 points. This is nice and think I could fulfill... except that as see above they migth not get me a replacement card in time for a long trip I have coming up.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:41 am

This Platinum upgrade is disappointing. I had over 75K before the upgrade, so when i upgraded by statement on 8/24 showed the Platinum upgrade. Still Gold Elite on my Marriott status. I have a week long trip starting 9/26 at a nice Marriott and was hoping to get Platinum benefits and lounge access. If they can't upgrade over 4 weeks that is really weak on their part.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Is there anyone here who took the upgrade offer and received the bonus despite holding the Chase Ritz or taking an upgrade offer on one of the Chase Marriott cards? The upgrade offer doesn’t have the same restriction language in the terms as the new applications, but it’d be nice to see a positive data point.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:41 pm

Punishment threatened from SPG Luxury Amex

I got the SPG Luxury Amex. It is my 3rd SPG.Marriott Amex after both a personal and business card.
Their special offer is 100,000 points if you spend $5,000 within the first three months.
I met this rather quickly with some airline mile purchases but ultimately had to return those just within a few days.
In fact, the agency was still able to void them.

I was still planning on making the spend requirement by using the card to pay some taxes.

However, before I was able to make that charge, I received this email. What I'm trying to figure out is are they going to take the 100,000 miles away from my Starwood/Marriott account and then refuse to return it when I make the required spend? I've called Amex and they tell me they have to forward to an internal department for evaluation and they will get back to me.

We are writing to let you know that, unfortunately, you are not eligible to receive the Welcome Bonus for the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card.
Activity on your account indicates an effort to reach the Welcome Bonus spend requirement in a manner that is not consistent with the terms of your Cardmember Agreement.
Please recall that the "How Your Reward Program Works" section of the Cardmember Agreement states:

"If you violate or abuse this reward program, you may forfeit some or all of your points."
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
To be clear...you never attempted to use your card for the taxes because you got the email? Or you did try the taxes?

Either way -- I'd be a smidge upset, but I know I've read several places that multiple rewards cards were keeping an eye on "how" people are meeting that minimum spend...and I've read that purchasing miles and gift cards in bulk trigger something internally.

For sure reading the cardmemeber agreement next time I open a card though!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by chuck1
I got the SPG Luxury Amex. It is my 3rd SPG.Marriott Amex after both a personal and business card.
Their special offer is 100,000 points if you spend $5,000 within the first three months.
I met this rather quickly with some airline mile purchases but ultimately had to return those just within a few days.

I was still planning on making the spend requirement by using the card to pay some taxes.

However, before I was able to make that charge, I received this email. What I'm trying to figure out is are they going to take the 100,000 miles away from my Starwood/Marriott account and then refuse to return it when I make the required spend? I've called Amex and they tell me they have to forward to an internal department for evaluation and they will get back to me.

We are writing to let you know that, unfortunately, you are not eligible to receive the Welcome Bonus for the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card.
Activity on your account indicates an effort to reach the Welcome Bonus spend requirement in a manner that is not consistent with the terms of your Cardmember Agreement.
Please recall that the "How Your Reward Program Works" section of the Cardmember Agreement states:

"If you violate or abuse this reward program, you may forfeit some or all of your points."
So, the airline miles were the wrong size, color or were they defective?

In all seriousness, you must admit that in the eyes of Amex your actions are super suspicious.
Kacee and markko like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chuck1
Why would one "have to return" airline miles?

I suspect AMEX believes there is no good answer to that question in this setting.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:43 pm

Return airline miles? Huh
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Buying and returning miles? Voided by an agency?

Hmmm. This doesn't sound shady at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.