Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:47 pm

I spent 5053 and got the 100k. I also got the 300 credit plus the 60 off 300. So net spend of 4693. Annual fee just posted after I got the 100k.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:47 pm

I upgraded my card to lux and my annual fee will be due in oct. would I get the $300 travel credit now and then another after my annual fee is charged in October?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
How to trigger the Marriott/SPG credit online ? Any tricks
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by globaltrotter
I upgraded my card to lux and my annual fee will be due in oct. would I get the $300 travel credit now and then another after my annual fee is charged in October?
That is what I was told earlier in this thread (post 170 was where I was answered if you want to check).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Actually, per the T&C, the $300 credit might mean that you'd have to spend more than $5K to meet minimum spend (bold mine):

YMMV though. I'm planning on spending more than $5000 just in case since I have a stay coming up.
I highly doubt it...I think by credits/returns they mean for merchant returns and credits, not a travel credit offered via the card. But as you said, YMMV...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic
Yeah it's weird, cause I got the 100k/$5k offer on the web/mobile/email on 8/31. But if I log in now and the offer terms have changed to 15K/$1k so quite different!!! Yuck!

I was waiting closer to 10/31 to do the upgrade offer. I guess will have to talk to them on the phone to see if they will honor the original offer. I have it on email and it does say to mention a special code when calling so we'll see. Otherwise it's just better to apply for the new card straight up since that is still 100k/$5k.

Guess they are changing the upgrade offers due to "high demand" for the card? Seems a bit weird though to offer one term and then switch it. I mean maybe sweeten the offer but to LOWER it? Plus the original offer had the 10/31 expiration date so what gives?

Anyone seeing their original offer getting reduced?
I'm also curious on this because like the other posters here I have a reasonable offer (50k for the upgrade) that I was waiting for a few more weeks so I can more easily reach the $2500 MSR necessary for the upgrade. While I would have mixed feelings about getting an upgrade to the 100k/$5k MSR offer, I would definitely hate a downgrade to 15k/$1k MSR offer or worse to no offer at all. I've been watching my 50k offer for the past week with no changes, so not sure if we'll figure out why some people's offer changes and others don't.
PS I don't recall getting an email with the offer, I just see it under AMEX Offers or Card Offers on my account.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:58 pm

Unfortunately I get the bubble of death and I'm ineligible for any Amex signup bonuses b/c of my past open/close history. I'm trying to find a way to still get some extra Marriott points. If I applied for the SPG personal card now, do you think I would get an upgrade offer (with points) later on (within a couple months) to upgrade to the SPG Luxury card? I ask because I have a 7 night stay at a resort so I could actually fully use the $300 credit. Also, does the $300 credit work for resort fees?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bradpitch92
Unfortunately I get the bubble of death and I'm ineligible for any Amex signup bonuses b/c of my past open/close history. I'm trying to find a way to still get some extra Marriott points. If I applied for the SPG personal card now, do you think I would get an upgrade offer (with points) later on (within a couple months) to upgrade to the SPG Luxury card? I ask because I have a 7 night stay at a resort so I could actually fully use the $300 credit. Also, does the $300 credit work for resort fees?
Come on we need some workarounds for this. Anyone tried applying by phone or mail ?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by globaltrotter
I upgraded my card to lux and my annual fee will be due in Oct. would I get the $300 travel credit now and then another after my annual fee is charged in October?
You mean you anniversary date woudl be in October?
I read that too that before the anniversary you get the $300 credit too (with the upgraded SPG to SPG Luxury card), even though you don't pay the full $450 annual fee. But since this card and upgrades are fairly new there are no data points that it actually is for sure, I mean 2x$300.

Keep in mind you need to have the charge that should be credited on the card, that means you need to actually pay for a stay or stuff at the hotel (not sure if gift cards from the hotel work, yet). The pre-paid hotel booking may not post a few days later or may not post until you checked out.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Come on we need some workarounds for this. Anyone tried applying by phone or mail ?
I've tried via phone and it still didn't work.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bradpitch92
I've tried via phone and it still didn't work.
What happened? The agent advised you too that you're not eligible for the bonus ?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

What happened? The agent advised you too that you're not eligible for the bonus ?
Pretty much. It was nearly identical to getting the bubble online, just an agent read it to me
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:25 am

Hi,
Please let me know if this will work? My regular SPG AF ($95) is due in 3/2019. What if I upgrade now (pay prorated $225 fee),claim 100k bonus and $300 credit (via Marriott GC) before December and downgrade once 100k points are posted before full $450 fee is due in march?

The only caveat I see is loosing 50k night vs gaining 35K night.

Last edited by dealhunter999; Sep 14, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by dealhunter999
Hi,
Please let me know if this will work? My regular SPG AF ($95) is due in 3/2019. What if I upgrade now (pay prorated $225 fee),claim 100k bonus and $300 credit (via Marriott GC) before December and downgrade once 100k points are posted before full $450 fee is due in march?

The only caveat I see is loosing 50k night vs gaining 35K night.
If you are upgrading---product changing---an existing AMEX SPG account to a Luxury SPG account, you won't earn any 100K bonus, since it isn't a new account.

You may be able to upgrade, use the $300 SPG Credit, and downgrade again, BUT I am not sure how AMEX would look at that.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:45 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
If you are upgrading---product changing---an existing AMEX SPG account to a Luxury SPG account, you won't earn any 100K bonus, since it isn't a new account.
While most are only getting the 15K offer to upgrade, per some earlier posts in this thread, I do believe some were saying they received 100K and 50K offers to upgrade. So while it doesn't look like a majority received those offers, some may have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.