Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by lz80521

Based on several DPs in different forums, it looks like all those referral bonus confirmed after 8/29 has been posted correctly. I referred two friends on 8/23 and got confirmation (YTD points in amex sustem) on 8/27, but no points posted yet. My wife referred two friends on 8/25 and got confirmation (updated YTD pts in amex system) on 8/30. The points have been posted for her. We both merged our Marriott/SPG accounts before 8/23 and used Marriott# in the application.
An update regarding to referral bonus posting:
I see my referral points posted today (about 17 days after my friend got approved for this card). My Marriott number is linked to this card and I had already merged Marriott and SPG accounts.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:05 pm

Sign up points posted. I hit the 5K spend on 9/2. 100K posted to amex login on 9/4. Points posted to Marriott account on 9/7. No spend points though, just the sign up points so far.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
Upgrade Offers Getting Downgraded

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Looks like my 100k/5k upgrade offer with an Oct 31 expiry got downgraded to 50k/2.5k. I probably would have had to do some trickery to hit the 5k MSR so it's not so bad, but I do wonder why they changed the offer on me. I was hoping to do it near the end of October.
Yeah it's weird, cause I got the 100k/$5k offer on the web/mobile/email on 8/31. But if I log in now and the offer terms have changed to 15K/$1k so quite different!!! Yuck!

I was waiting closer to 10/31 to do the upgrade offer. I guess will have to talk to them on the phone to see if they will honor the original offer. I have it on email and it does say to mention a special code when calling so we'll see. Otherwise it's just better to apply for the new card straight up since that is still 100k/$5k.

Guess they are changing the upgrade offers due to "high demand" for the card? Seems a bit weird though to offer one term and then switch it. I mean maybe sweeten the offer but to LOWER it? Plus the original offer had the 10/31 expiration date so what gives?

Anyone seeing their original offer getting reduced?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
They were willing to send you overseas? Amex too me no...

I just for my $300 credit back too... A mix of eating in restaurants when not staying in a property and a pre-paid booking.

If this credit is based of renewal date and pro-rated rather thank calendar years... Then they upgrade deal is really good, esp if your renewal date soon
When you eat at restaurants without staying on property did they need to charge it a special way for it to get credited for the $300 credit? I thought it needs to be billed to a room for it to count. Don't have any upcoming stays but could do some dining at properties just wondering how to make sure they count toward the $300 credit.

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I am not sure... I always eat there. Under SPG day's they would code it as a stay so that might be why I got. Not sure it all properties code it this way or if it works in other ways
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Anyone know how strictly they are enforcing approvals if you accepted upgrade offer for the Chase Marriott card a couple months ago? Or is it too early to tell and we need to wait until people actually finish the min spend to see if they get the signup bonus?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic
Yeah it's weird, cause I got the 100k/$5k offer on the web/mobile/email on 8/31. But if I log in now and the offer terms have changed to 15K/$1k so quite different!!! Yuck!

I was waiting closer to 10/31 to do the upgrade offer. I guess will have to talk to them on the phone to see if they will honor the original offer. I have it on email and it does say to mention a special code when calling so we'll see. Otherwise it's just better to apply for the new card straight up since that is still 100k/$5k.

Guess they are changing the upgrade offers due to "high demand" for the card? Seems a bit weird though to offer one term and then switch it. I mean maybe sweeten the offer but to LOWER it? Plus the original offer had the 10/31 expiration date so what gives?

Anyone seeing their original offer getting reduced?
Let me know if you manage to get them to honor the old offer.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Sep 9, 2018 at 6:52 am
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
Does anyone know if we get the free night to use at opening of the new Luxury Amex, or do we have to wait for the first anniversary? I'd think we'd get it now, since they charge the $450 now. If we do get it now, how do we go about using it?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by bcm0830
Does anyone know if we get the free night to use at opening of the new Luxury Amex, or do we have to wait for the first anniversary? I'd think we'd get it now, since they charge the $450 now. If we do get it now, how do we go about using it?
Nope its on anniversary only.

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/cr...-guest-luxury/
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by bcm0830
Per the terms you get it on the anniversary date so your AF will hit TWICE before you get the hotel certificate. You do get to use the $300 statement credit right away though , So people that are upgrading are able to pay the pro-rated AF and get the $300 credit but they still need to wait for the anniversary for the hotel certificate . Now I don’t know if there’s some loophole where you wait for the next AF to hit get the hotel certificate and cancel the card within the 30d post AF to get it back and can still get to keep the certificate.

So you want to make sure you get a good bonus offer to offset that you won’t be getting the hotel certificate the first year. Think a lot of people miss that part. Also AMEX is one bonus per product per lifetime.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:30 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
My Westin charge posted 9/4 and received $300 credit on 9/8

Now for the 100,000 bonus points.

I am glad there was a short window when the new rules didn’t apply.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:05 pm

My original SPG anniversary is later this week. I was told that AF will be charged per usual, then in 45 days I'll be charged the higher $450 AF. Then they'll adjust the original AF and new luxury SPG AF based on how long I've had each card. So something like ~2 months with old card and 10 months with new card, broken down across two AFs that should wind up being slightly lower than the $450.

And my understanding would be that I'd get the 50k free night when my card renews this week, since it's an anniversary, albeit it also an upgrade. At worst I should have the old free night for reaching my anniversary.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:48 am

Does anyone know if the $450 annual fee counts towards the $5000 spend?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:17 am

AFs shouldn't count toward minimum spend, but SPG/Marriott purchases that are credited back to you should.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rooney
AFs shouldn't count toward minimum spend, but SPG/Marriott purchases that are credited back to you should.
Actually, per the T&C, the $300 credit might mean that you'd have to spend more than $5K to meet minimum spend (bold mine):

Eligible purchases to meet the Threshold Amount can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers (balance transfers are not available on the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card), cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for this offer. To earn the bonus points, your Card account must not be canceled or past due at the time of fulfillment.
YMMV though. I'm planning on spending more than $5000 just in case since I have a stay coming up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.