Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:21 am

question regarding RC Chase comparison

So, I'm holding a Ritz Carlton rewards card from Chase, and recently got approved for the SPG Luxury Card. Is it safe to say that the Luxury card has better point-earning power because it earns 2 points/$ for regular purchases vs RC Chase which earns 1 point/$? Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:42 am

Received the card yesterday. Agree with the comments that this is the most unimpressive, flimsiest card I have ever see. No luxury markings at all.

If there is something that screams SPG is on it's deathbed, it is this card. My assumption is that this card will be rebranded next year and we should receive a new card with the new combined program branding on it.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Sorry if this was answered before, but I can't find it - if I get this card, do I get the free night cert in the first year (when I first get the card), OR do I have to wait an entire year and then get my first cert on my first anniversary date?

My regular AMEX anniversary date is 10/19, so I might wait to get my free night cert from that and I'll still have 12 days to get this card and another cert. Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by jlb3
Sorry if this was answered before, but I can't find it - if I get this card, do I get the free night cert in the first year (when I first get the card), OR do I have to wait an entire year and then get my first cert on my first anniversary date?

My regular AMEX anniversary date is 10/19, so I might wait to get my free night cert from that and I'll still have 12 days to get this card and another cert. Thanks!
You get the cert on your anniversary so 1 year after you have the card.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:22 am

Application strategy

I currently have the AMEX SPG personal card, the AMEX SPG business card, and the Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus personal card. I have an offer from AMEX to upgrade the SPG personal card to the SPG Luxury card for 100,000 points ($5,000 spend in first three months). Can I utilize the upgrade offer and then reapply for the regular SPG personal card? Will AMEX even allow me to carry both of these cards?

Before you ask, yes, I realize that I will not receive another sign-up bonus for the regular SPG personal card due to AMEX's once-per-lifetime bonus rule and the new sign-up bonus restrictions (if I am even allowed to reapply for the card in the first place). And yes, I know that it is redundant to carry these cards, but I think there is value in the free night certificates at Marriott.

Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by wonderbleu
So, I'm holding a Ritz Carlton rewards card from Chase, and recently got approved for the SPG Luxury Card. Is it safe to say that the Luxury card has better point-earning power because it earns 2 points/$ for regular purchases vs RC Chase which earns 1 point/$? Thanks.
No - the earning are the same as of 8/26. RC Chase card earns 2 points/$ for everyday purchases.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ckelly14
Received the card yesterday. Agree with the comments that this is the most unimpressive, flimsiest card I have ever see. No luxury markings at all.

If there is something that screams SPG is on it's deathbed, it is this card. My assumption is that this card will be rebranded next year and we should receive a new card with the new combined program branding on it.
AmEx came out and said that there was a materials shortage, and these are temp ones. IMO trying to create a sense of false demand...this is no CSR launch w/a 100K bonus...
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:53 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
WOW! I would be interested in knowing that myself! I tried applying for the new SPG business card with the 100,000 points sign up bonus and no go. They said I received too many Amex credit cards within one and a half years .
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:12 am

"Can the $300 credit be used for a pre-paid hotel night?"

Anyone know the answer to this? I called a local Marriott to see if they sold gift cards and they said no. I know they sell them online and curious if that would trigger the credit. Guess I could try a small amount to see. Was offered the 100k upgrade but my anniversary date is literally in 5 days...so I won't be able to go to a hotel.

Last edited by rooney; Sep 5, 2018 at 11:16 am Reason: forgot to add quoted material
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rooney
"Can the $300 credit be used for a pre-paid hotel night?"

Anyone know the answer to this? I called a local Marriott to see if they sold gift cards and they said no. I know they sell them online and curious if that would trigger the credit. Guess I could try a small amount to see. Was offered the 100k upgrade but my anniversary date is literally in 5 days...so I won't be able to go to a hotel.
Don't see any reason why it wouldn't - it's still a charge from a hotel, doesn't matter when you actually stay
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by ajinlondon
Ive tried this link a few times for my spouse and I. It just leads to the default page with the 100K offer. Has anyone received more than 100K offer recently? Im wondering if the 125K offers are out there still. Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
AmEx came out and said that there was a materials shortage, and these are temp ones. IMO trying to create a sense of false demand...this is no CSR launch w/a 100K bonus...
Both are plastic. The temp ones just uses the regular SPG card. Per TPG: "The card design differences between the SPG Luxury card and the regular SPG Amex are pretty subtle in the first place. Both cards are made of plastic not metal and the SPG Luxury card doesnt have the words Starwood Preferred Guest on its front, but does include the contactless payment symbol indicating the card can be used for Tap to Pay."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-s...-luxury-cards/

I got the Luxury version of the card and agree that it feels cheap. It definitely doesn't match the feeling of the Chase Marriott Premier Plus card which is made of the same weight aluminum as the Sapphire Reserve.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sdflyer04

Ive tried this link a few times for my spouse and I. It just leads to the default page with the 100K offer. Has anyone received more than 100K offer recently? Im wondering if the 125K offers are out there still. Thanks.
The 125k offer was through an email as far as I know. IIRC it was valid through early December. I don't know if there's a way to refer someone for the targeted offer, but presumably if you already have an SPG card, you could self-refer each other for 120k points instead?

Originally Posted by KINetics
Both are plastic. The temp ones just uses the regular SPG card. Per TPG: "The card design differences between the SPG Luxury card and the regular SPG Amex are pretty subtle in the first place. Both cards are made of plastic not metal and the SPG Luxury card doesnt have the words Starwood Preferred Guest on its front, but does include the contactless payment symbol indicating the card can be used for Tap to Pay."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-s...-luxury-cards/

I got the Luxury version of the card and agree that it feels cheap. It definitely doesn't match the feeling of the Chase Marriott Premier Plus card which is made of the same weight aluminum as the Sapphire Reserve.
What's the obsession with a metal card? Once you have one, it's not like there's anything special about having a second one. The SPG Lux card material seems similar to the metal Citi Prestige anyway.

If anything, the plastic cards have the additional contactless feature, unlike the metal cards. It might be helpful to have at least one that has that feature at least.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
got a letter today explaining that due to high demand, I should continue to use my non-Luxury SPG card as it will reflect all Luxury benefits. letter also says I should expect to receive the Luxury card within 60 days!!

this $300 credit for Starriott hotels, can it be used twice i.e. by December 2018 as well as in 2019?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Polytonic
If anything, the plastic cards have the additional contactless feature, unlike the metal cards. It might be helpful to have at least one that has that feature at least.
The Platinum is available with contactless, so metal doesn't really preclude it anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.