Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Plus, the legacy card gives a 35k cert for a $95 fee, so there's only added value if you redeem from 40-50k. And it also gives you 6 points per dollar on SPG/Marriott spend. So the only thing you get for an additional annual fee of $355 is the $300 statement credit and the possibility of redeeming at a slightly higher category property.
I didn't even know about this. Do you have a link to more about the 35k cert?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by miles4CDG
Contrary to what I was told by an Amex CSR, you do not need to spend the $300 all at once. I had a $250 Starwood charge post this week, a $250 credit posted the following day as "SPG / Marriott Rewards Credit."
Can you confirm that the credit includes room charges?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cstu11
I didn't even know about this. Do you have a link to more about the 35k cert?
Check out https://thepointsguy.com/news/spg-cards-current-offers/
cstu11 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by cstu11
Can you confirm that the credit includes room charges?
. I can confirm. It worked for me
cstu11 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I was actually quite surprised at the quality of my card. It's a thicker plastic, has a bit of a rubbery feel, almost like the Citi Prestige. I was expecting something closer to the standard white plastic cards issued by most banks. No idea if what I have is the temp or permanent card though -- I assume permanent.
You must have the legit, real one - the temp one (I have one) is a flimsy POS
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rccsd
Am I missing something re: 6 pts per $ spend at SPG/Marriott hotels? If we have a CSR, isn't it better to charge SPG/Marriott hotel stays with the CSR since I get 3 UR pts/dollar versus the diluted 6 pts Marriott pts/dollar? For this analysis, I'm thinking specifically about transfer to airlines. The 6 pts would transfer to airlines for 2 miles v. the 3 UR pts would be 1:1.
If your goal is to be able to transfer to airlines and have that flexibility, it's at least neutral if you value MR at about .8 and UR at about 1.7

I rack up insane amounts of URs from flights, parking, taxis, trains, etc. vs. I'm always short of my SPG points...YMMV
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by lz80521
I referred my friend for this card a couple of days ago and I see 20,000 shown as earned in my Amex account. But the points haven’t been posted to my combined Marriott/SPG account. Any dp on referral bonus posting? Thx.
My bonus posted today o my Marriott account (total points but not in activity) and my friend hasn't even used the card yet.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:31 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I wasn’t targeted by Amex for an upgrade offer from my regular SPG card to the luxury card. Any data points on people in similar situation calling the call center and asking about an upgrade offer?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by ymx
I wasn’t targeted by Amex for an upgrade offer from my regular SPG card to the luxury card. Any data points on people in similar situation calling the call center and asking about an upgrade offer?
See my post in Amex forum- SPG luxury card.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by lz80521
I referred my friend for this card a couple of days ago and I see 20,000 shown as earned in my Amex account. But the points haven’t been posted to my combined Marriott/SPG account. Any dp on referral bonus posting? Thx.
Same here. I expect there may be a 3-5 day lag time for the points to post to Marriott account. At least this is the case with other AMEX co-branded cards (such as the one with Hilton).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
So who is getting two SPG Luxury's (via signup and upgrade), and who is getting one SPG Luxury and one SPG Personal, and why?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
So who is getting two SPG Luxury's (via signup and upgrade), and who is getting one SPG Luxury and one SPG Personal, and why?
I just got the SPG personal, and I have a 125K offer for the SPG Luxury. That luxury offer expires in December, so I will likely apply in late November after meeting some required spend on other cards (I need to meet the $3,000 minimum spend on the SPG Personal and about $10,000 in spend on a Hilton card to get a free night). In terms of why, 200,000 Marriott points between two cards is pretty good. I want the Hilton Aspire as well, but I can get that next year.

The real question is how many Amex credit cards to keep on an ongoing basis (you are limited to five) given all of the free nights, credits and companion passes Amex card are giving out nowadays. I currently have two Delta cards, one Hilton and one SPG... I remain interested in three more (SPG Lux, Aspire, and Everyday Preferred)
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Can the $300 credit be used for a pre-paid hotel night?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:02 pm

I just got a $300 credit for maintenance fees for my Marriott Timeshare. They are also giving credit for Vistana timeshares.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
I thought about two Luxury SPG cards but I am keeping the SPG Luxury and SPG Personal. The only reason that I could see upgrading would be to get the extra value out of the free night cert and since most hotels I looked at are under 35K it didn't make sense to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.