Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
So not quite sure reading through this thread, but can someone clarify if the $300 credit has to be spent all at once? Or can it be spread out to a total of $300 in credits for various purchases/incidentals at different stays throughout the year?

With my stash of starwood points I pretty much never have to pay for a room but would love to use the credit on things like parking, meals, etc etc over the course of a year.
I don't think any of the higher priced CCs that come with a credit make you use it in a single transaction
mdcubsfan likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:50 am

I used my Marriott# for this card’s application. I combined Marriot acct and SPG acct recently. Is there gonna be a problem with point posting? Thx.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Can the credit be used for a pre-paid hotel night for example at a St Regis Property?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:11 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Online, I'm seeing the 15K bonus to upgrade my current card. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help with:
  1. My anniversary month is January. So that leaves about 5 months left. So I'm guessing I would only have to pay around half the $450 annual fee, correct?
  2. And as soon as I upgrade, I will be able to use the $300 credit for charges at Marriott hotels? So I would essentially be paying about $225 to get a $300 credit (not counting if I get back anything from my legacy card annual fee.)
  3. Come January, I will have to pay the full annual fee of $450, but I would get another $300 credit, a 50K cert, correct? Note I'm LTPP, so I don't really care about the night credits or the Gold/Plat elite status possible upgrades.
If I'm correct, then my options are to either upgrade which nets me $75 and 15K points. Or apply for a new card with -$150 out of pocket ($450 - $300) but I get 100K points (that is the offer I see for applying for as a new card.)
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Online, I'm seeing the 15K bonus to upgrade my current card. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help with:
  1. My anniversary month is January. So that leaves about 5 months left. So I'm guessing I would only have to pay around half the $450 annual fee, correct?
  2. And as soon as I upgrade, I will be able to use the $300 credit for charges at Marriott hotels? So I would essentially be paying about $225 to get a $300 credit (not counting if I get back anything from my legacy card annual fee.)
  3. Come January, I will have to pay the full annual fee of $450, but I would get another $300 credit, a 50K cert, correct? Note I'm LTPP, so I don't really care about the night credits or the Gold/Plat elite status possible upgrades.
If I'm correct, then my options are to either upgrade which nets me $75 and 15K points. Or apply for a new card with -$150 out of pocket ($450 - $300) but I get 100K points (that is the offer I see for applying for as a new card.)
Yes, that's what I heard from Amex CSR. Hopefully Amex CSR is more trustworthy than Marriott CSR.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Werty7777
The old Marriott card from chase is heavier than this card too. Again, the card weight/material is not relevant but it is expected at the price point.
Just read a story that Amex is shipping temp lux cards due to demand. As thin as mine is, I guess its a temp card. Then again I haven't seen the difference between temp and permanent either. I didn't link story because I haven't read upon forum rules regarding posting links.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I didn't link story because I haven't read upon forum rules regarding posting links.
I'll take that as a request for help.

Check out https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'll take that as a request for help.

Check out https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks
Thank you.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-luxury-cards/
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:46 pm

I referred my friend for this card a couple of days ago and I see 20,000 shown as earned in my Amex account. But the points haven’t been posted to my combined Marriott/SPG account. Any dp on referral bonus posting? Thx.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:13 pm

Am I missing something re: 6 pts per $ spend at SPG/Marriott hotels? If we have a CSR, isn't it better to charge SPG/Marriott hotel stays with the CSR since I get 3 UR pts/dollar versus the diluted 6 pts Marriott pts/dollar? For this analysis, I'm thinking specifically about transfer to airlines. The 6 pts would transfer to airlines for 2 miles v. the 3 UR pts would be 1:1.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Just read a story that Amex is shipping temp lux cards due to demand. As thin as mine is, I guess its a temp card. Then again I haven't seen the difference between temp and permanent either. I didn't link story because I haven't read upon forum rules regarding posting links.
I was actually quite surprised at the quality of my card. It's a thicker plastic, has a bit of a rubbery feel, almost like the Citi Prestige. I was expecting something closer to the standard white plastic cards issued by most banks. No idea if what I have is the temp or permanent card though -- I assume permanent.

Applied Monday evening, phoned in for approval on Tuesday morning, the card was shipped out Wednesday and I got it Thursday (was quoted delivery by today, so it came a day early!). I was rather surprised -- great service compared to the week or longer wait I experienced when getting Chase/Citi cards.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:50 pm

So...I neglected to read this thread before signing up. I used by SPG Amex info to apply for the Luxury card with 100k, thinking that my card would automatically be upgraded. Instead, I found out I was actually signing for a second SPG card. Once I called I found out it's only 15k to upgrade.

What I decided to do is keep the Luxury card for a year, get the 100k points, and then cancel before it renews. Then at some point I'll upgrade my regular SPG card (not receiving any more points obviously).

My mistake, but it seems ridiculous not to give the 100k to current SPG cardholders.
bryanb likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Not worth th3 annual fee
Regular SPG is $95. This one is $150 after you take out the $300 for hotel purchases. Then you also get 1 night at a hotel, which is more than $150.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
So not quite sure reading through this thread, but can someone clarify if the $300 credit has to be spent all at once? Or can it be spread out to a total of $300 in credits for various purchases/incidentals at different stays throughout the year?

With my stash of starwood points I pretty much never have to pay for a room but would love to use the credit on things like parking, meals, etc etc over the course of a year.
Contrary to what I was told by an Amex CSR, you do not need to spend the $300 all at once. I had a $250 Starwood charge post this week, a $250 credit posted the following day as "SPG / Marriott Rewards Credit."
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:04 pm

Is there much benefit to going from the new Gold to Platinum through the 75K spend? I think I can use the $300 credit pretty easy and can justify the free night covering the other $150 in fees.

I can't reach platinum through nights, but wondered if it might give me leg up in securing upgrades, etc
I was spending just enough ($30k, which goes up to $35k next year) on my regular SPG Amex to retain Gold status. Platinum status is nice but IMO not work putting 75k on this card for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.