Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bryanb
Thanks for the heads up. I specifically requested a new metal Amex Platinum so that I could use it on London buses and the tube during my next visit, so I'll give it a try but will have a backup plan just in case. Interestingly, I used my CSR with Apple Pay last November 2017. The system let me into the London underground, but would not allow me to exit. It turns out that Chase didn't really support TfL via Apple Pay at the time, but hopefully given your anecdote and others, CSR is now working. I'm concerned about the overcharging though... and that there might still be glitches. Do you have more details on how you were overcharged?
FWIW, I had no problems with the CSR when I was there in October 2017. The readers occasionally failed to read the first time but a second attempt always worked.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, has anyone's Marriott status updated yet? (Mine still says Silver Elite.) I combined my Marriott and SPG accounts just before upgrading my card, if that matters.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by tmiw
BTW, has anyone's Marriott status updated yet? (Mine still says Silver Elite.) I combined my Marriott and SPG accounts just before upgrading my card, if that matters.
Mine was updated (thanks to the new easier qualification rules) and I haven't even combined accounts yet! ^
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Werty7777
There was an offer that appeared yesterday across all my Amex cards. It was $60 off $300 at Marriott hotels. There's good deal to help "reduce" the annual fee.
Did you get that offer on the SPG Luxury card? I haven't received mine yet and therefore can't add it to my online account in order to see my offers. However I did receive that offer on my business Platinum and business SPG cards.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by smgainey
Did you get that offer on the SPG Luxury card? I haven't received mine yet and therefore can't add it to my online account in order to see my offers. However I did receive that offer on my business Platinum and business SPG cards.
Sure did. I saw on my SPG, Delta Gold, Amex Plat but wasn't getting my SPG Lux delivered until late evening yesterday. I wanted to add it to SPG Lux as I have to meet spend requirements (for bonus) and the offer was there also once I activated the card last night.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by smgainey
I got the offer on the SPG Luxury card. Added it. I don't have any US stays before then so I'll have to change one of my trips to be US rather than Canada.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Still see no point to SPG luxury unless they add centurion lounge access.

Till then happy to stick with regular SPG and CSR.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sintaku
I got the offer on the SPG Luxury card. Added it. I don't have any US stays before then so I'll have to change one of my trips to be US rather than Canada.
Only have 75 of 375 Ritz (expire 8/31) for my luxury (was upgraded from SPG) . Do have 60 off 300 Marriott offer for my SPG Biz.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Applied for the SPG Luxury card -- had to phone in that I was really applying for the card, but I did confirm I'm getting the 125k/$5k offer.

The rep indicated the card is proactively expedited for me but I see no indication or confirmation that I have the card on the Amex website -- not that I doubt the customer service representative, but still kinda antsy until I have card in hand I guess.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just received my physical card in the mail. It is an incredibly flimsy piece of crap more befitting of a $0 AF card than it is a $450 luxury one. Piss poor job AmEx.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Werty7777
Data points for folks getting the message of no bonus; maybe its helpful? My card approvals (as they pertain to this scenario) and date opened.

SPG Luxury Amex 8/18
Ritz Carlton Chase 7/18
Old Marriott Chase 4/18
Delta Gold Amex 03/18
SPG Personal Amex 11/17
Amex Platinum 02/17

4 open Amex accounts currently. 3 open Chase accounts currently. I see no rhyme or reason why I was accepted for all and others were not. Hope this helps someone.
This is why we are now seeing reports of Chase severing accounts. I would expect Amex to follow suit.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
This is why we are now seeing reports of Chase severing accounts. I would expect Amex to follow suit.
Potentially. I have 20 years with Chase so I doubt they are looking at me too hard. I think Amex may start to question me if I stopped putting 50K or so a year through their cards and canceled them before annual fee too, but I'm happy with the value proposition of the cards at this point. I will stay at Marriotts more than 4 times a year and at a net cost 150 (Lux), 85 (Marriott), 95 (SPG), 0 (ritz) I'll continue to hold the cards. Everyone is different though.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer my own question, my status just clicked over to Gold today.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:22 pm

So not quite sure reading through this thread, but can someone clarify if the $300 credit has to be spent all at once? Or can it be spread out to a total of $300 in credits for various purchases/incidentals at different stays throughout the year?

With my stash of starwood points I pretty much never have to pay for a room but would love to use the credit on things like parking, meals, etc etc over the course of a year.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
So not quite sure reading through this thread, but can someone clarify if the $300 credit has to be spent all at once? Or can it be spread out to a total of $300 in credits for various purchases/incidentals at different stays throughout the year?

With my stash of starwood points I pretty much never have to pay for a room but would love to use the credit on things like parking, meals, etc etc over the course of a year.
I do not know for sure, but the terms seem very similar to the Hilton Aspire which lets me spread it out. In fact, still have some spend left with Hilton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.