Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Werty7777
The old Marriott card from chase is heavier than this card too. Again, the card weight/material is not relevant but it is expected at the price point.
It's about what I was expecting, similar to the Hilton Aspire. You need to have at least a $550 annual fee w/ Amex to get the metal card.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: US Airways CP, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The $300 already posted for me for a recent stay. Just upgraded Friday and the hotel stay posted shortly after that. Btw, this folio only had hotel room charges. no incidentals.
pitflyer, khlay, Adelphos and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:18 am

Maybe it's just me, but the metal cards from Chase slip out of my wallet CC slots too easily due to their weight. I have to keep them in the pockets under the slots to prevent losing them. I just rec'd my lux card and it is plastic (and light weight)
bryanb likes this.

Last edited by frankhi; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:39 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
The only reason I applied for this card was that during the 3 day loophole period I was eligible. I already have the regular SPG card and recently applied for the Marriott card.
I am paying net $150 for the 100,000 sign up bonus.
I hope that there are some sync offers to offset the AF.
Year 2, (Maybe a nice retention), if not I hope to downgrade to the regular card and I prefer to pay $95 for a 35K night than $150 for a 50K night, if not goodbye.
LF72 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
The only reason I applied for this card was that during the 3 day loophole period I was eligible. I already have the regular SPG card and recently applied for the Marriott card.
I am paying net $150 for the 100,000 sign up bonus.
I hope that there are some sync offers to offset the AF.
Year 2, (Maybe a nice retention), if not I hope to downgrade to the regular card and I prefer to pay $95 for a 35K night than $150 for a 50K night, if not goodbye.
There was an offer that appeared yesterday across all my Amex cards. It was $60 off $300 at Marriott hotels. There's good deal to help "reduce" the annual fee.
BusterC likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Gold, Delta Silver
With metal cards being far more costly to produce, and with the rebranding of the rewards program coming next year, not surprised this short term card is plastic. I suspect that the next card will be metal if that is still a thing then. Have not seen it posted above, but is the card flat with embedded numbers or are they raised? Cheers!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Sintaku

I often travel to London and the parking deals are amazing, 8 days of parking included in a 1 night stay at $158 works out to 2,698 points (only earn on the taxable portion) so my total cost is $133.72 for parking coming to $16.71 per day for parking including a free hotel stay.
Please expound.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Haven't applied for Amex in decades but was considering this one as I received a 125k MR offer. Which is good by SPG/Marriott historical data but a bit weak for a $150 AF. Also a bit high for renewal when compared to old Chase IC ($49 AF w free night on renewal) and old Chase Hyatt ($75). Even the newer Chase cards only have $95 AFs. At this rate I expect a bit more than PP lounge access which is already included with dozens of cards. So I'm on the fence

Originally Posted by bradpetrik
They're awarding 15 nights to people who apply in 2018 in 2019. They’ll appear before March if they aren’t stacking on top of another card.
I bet this is a major minus for many people - I can really use those nights for 2018.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BusterC
With metal cards being far more costly to produce, and with the rebranding of the rewards program coming next year, not surprised this short term card is plastic. I suspect that the next card will be metal if that is still a thing then. Have not seen it posted above, but is the card flat with embedded numbers or are they raised? Cheers!
I imagine that contactless cards that are metal are the most expensive to produce compared to even plastic contactless cards, so I'm not so sure they'd go this route. And if they do, I'm not so sure it'd make sense to remove the feature so soon after providing it (even if it's still something that can be requested).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Gold, Delta Silver
Forgot that it was contactless...Love this feature on my Venture card. Don't even need to take it out of my wallet...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:30 am

I was told by Amex rep that if I received a sign up bonus once then I was no longer able to get sign up bonus for a new Amex card
is this correct??
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by LF72
Please expound.
The hotels at the airport often have "special" park and fly deals where you stay one night at the hotel and can leave your car parked there. Some only allow X days after your stay but some allow either before and after your stay.

My local airport doesn't offer this but I often will drive to a larger airport with cheaper flights (only adds 90-120 minutes to my journey but nets me savings).
LF72 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I imagine that contactless cards that are metal are the most expensive to produce compared to even plastic contactless cards, so I'm not so sure they'd go this route. And if they do, I'm not so sure it'd make sense to remove the feature so soon after providing it (even if it's still something that can be requested).
The metal Amex Platinum that I have does not work with contactless on the London underground. I often will resort to using my CSR on my Apple Watch which does work. Only negative is that to get the ability to see your travel history you need to use an Amex card if it is not from the UK. When I was overcharged on my CSR I had to submit my credit card statement while on my Amex I could do it online.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Sintaku
The metal Amex Platinum that I have does not work with contactless on the London underground. I often will resort to using my CSR on my Apple Watch which does work. Only negative is that to get the ability to see your travel history you need to use an Amex card if it is not from the UK. When I was overcharged on my CSR I had to submit my credit card statement while on my Amex I could do it online.
Thanks for the heads up. I specifically requested a new metal Amex Platinum so that I could use it on London buses and the tube during my next visit, so I'll give it a try but will have a backup plan just in case. Interestingly, I used my CSR with Apple Pay last November 2017. The system let me into the London underground, but would not allow me to exit. It turns out that Chase didn't really support TfL via Apple Pay at the time, but hopefully given your anecdote and others, CSR is now working. I'm concerned about the overcharging though... and that there might still be glitches. Do you have more details on how you were overcharged?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by bryanb
Thanks for the heads up. I specifically requested a new metal Amex Platinum so that I could use it on London buses and the tube during my next visit, so I'll give it a try but will have a backup plan just in case. Interestingly, I used my CSR with Apple Pay last November 2017. The system let me into the London underground, but would not allow me to exit. It turns out that Chase didn't really support TfL via Apple Pay at the time, but hopefully given your anecdote and others, CSR is now working. I'm concerned about the overcharging though... and that there might still be glitches. Do you have more details on how you were overcharged?
When going through a busy station sometimes you tap and it might have failed to recognize but lets you through, in these cases or when you use the overground/rail where there are no barriers and forget to tap in or out they charge the full daily rate. On the oyster card/UK cards and global Amex you can add those to your Tfl account and request a refund, however with the CSR even when you add it shows no travel history. In that case you have to email in the station you started and finished at along with the credit card statement and they issue you a refund, but cannot issue it to the card and will either mail you a check or bank transfer it.

I normally keep a log of my travel and then compare to the charges a week or two later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.