Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by khlay
Don't forget upgrade bonus if you can get a meaningful one (50k or 100k). I'll product change back if I can not fully utilize the 50k free night and $300 credit.
While the legacy SPG card's still available, I'm not sure if PC will be possible a year from now considering that Chase is supposed to have the lower-end Marriott cards. I may have missed something in the merger announcements though.

(I have an upgrade offer for 100K and I haven't combined accounts yet. Still deciding whether to pull the trigger.)
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not sure if PC will be possible a year from now
Haven't thought about it. Good question. What's Amex PC policy? Holding card for at least an year?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
If you can get the 100,000 points and are a Platinum member it is a great deal. I am keeping my old card, but applied for the new one. Got the bonus, which is worth ~ $750. Statement credit is worth $300. (FYI, the terms for the credit are similar to the Hilton Aspire,which, of course, is only for resorts. The Aspire pays out as you charge so if you do not make the $300, you can use the rest later.) The free night is easily worth $150. One thing to remember about free nights is that (although they may not include resort, etc. fees), they generally include taxes (in most jurisdictions, although, for example, I think India may be an exception and which may have high taxes based on imputed value), which can run fairly high. Even a room at a category 3 hotel can run over $150 by the time you add taxes in. Total value over two years is easily worth ~ $1500 ($750 + 2x$300 + $150). Great value for a card costing $900 for two years.

Still only I am getting it and not my wife (while we both have Aspire cards). I am Platinum and she is not. Gold is pretty worthless so even with a free night, she would not get breakfast, lounge, upgrade, late checkout, etc. The free night is much less valuable without that. She had the lounge with the SPG business, but that card was enhanced. Of course, if she did get it, I could use the $300 as an additional card member, but could not get Platinum benefits and use her free night.

Still the Aspire rules (as a hotel card, not as a spend card) , as it not only gives the free night (which can be used at most properties worldwide), but you get the $250 Resort credit to boot. Further a $250 airline credit. And to top it all off Diamond Status (which admittedly is not equivalent to Platinum). We will back to back our free nights later this year for a free weekend in Europe.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:22 pm

What's a folio?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Pulled the trigger on this at least for a year as I need to get global entry for my spring trip anyhow.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Nevsky
Total value over two years is easily worth ~ $1500 ($750 + 2x$300 + $150). Great value for a card costing $900 for two years.
Actually I would not call that great value (or really even good value) when you factor in the opportunity cost in light of 5/24 and Amex's new policy of denying bonuses if you open/close too many cards. With these anti-churning policies in place, most of us need to pick our new cards carefully. Net benefit of $600 (in MR points) over two years is in relative terms not very good at all IMO. Certainly not in same league as AMEX Plat, CSR, or Amex Aspire.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually I would not call that great value (or really even good value) when you factor in the opportunity cost in light of 5/24 and Amex's new policy of denying bonuses if you open/close too many cards. With these anti-churning policies in place, most of us need to pick our new cards carefully. Net benefit of $600 (in MR points) over two years is in relative terms not very good at all IMO. Certainly not in same league as AMEX Plat, CSR, or Amex Aspire.
Totally agree. I was not sure should I apply one or not in the very beginning. The upgrade offer solved everything.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by khlay
Haven't thought about it. Good question. What's Amex PC policy? Holding card for at least an year?
I was thinking more along the lines of the legacy SPG card being discontinued but time to PC is also a consideration. FWIW I've been able to PC other AmEx cards after a year with no issues.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, my valuation of the free night is very conservative. I think it is probably double that. I agree with 5/24 which really hit me. I thought I was okay, but by being added as an additional cardmember by my wife has its downside. Still, this card is a keeper, at least if you are Platinum as it will easily pay for itself and more each year in the benefits alone (and that is why I am keeping SPG and Marriott cards). In fact, the only one we might want to get rid of is my wife's as no (or minimal perks) with her free night each year. Frankly for hotel spend, even at a Marriott portfolio hotel, CSR would generally be better value yielding ~.05 per dollar spent, whereas the SPG only offers ~.045.

Also, you will get additional Amex Offers, which can easily add significant value.

Last edited by Nevsky; Aug 24, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I’ve been a relatively big spender on the SPG Amex card, but received no upgrade offer. I thought about applying for the new card, but I don’t think it’s a sufficiently strong card or bonus offer. I had registered for the 20K point offer on the old card, but a slight change in travel plans today caused me to count my confirmed forthcoming Starriott nights and realize I’ll probably be sufficiently close to 100 to warrant moving all my Starriott and non bonus spend to my Marriott Visa—the extra night credits from that spend should get me to 100 nights.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:49 pm

I personally found this offer to be very underwhelming as a new card. For a premium card, the CSR and Amex Platinum are a better package. However, if upgrading is a possibility, that's different. Frustratingly enough, I have no upgrade offer from my regular SPG Amex, so maybe one will magically show up tomorrow.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I received my 5 nights credit in the beginning of the year from my SPG Amex. I also received my 15 elite nights credit from my Marriott Visa to my Marriott Rewards account. I have not merged the accounts yet. Will upgrading to the SPG Luxury provide an additional 15 elite night credits for this year? I realize 2019 it's 15 elite nights max regardless of number of co-brand cards. The 15 elite nights credit would be the most valuable for me, but wouldn't bother if for some reason I couldn't get it. I'm not very clear on the terms of the application.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cab747
I
Does anyone know the answer to this question? I received my 5 nights credit in the beginning of the year from my SPG Amex. I also received my 15 elite nights credit from my Marriott Visa to my Marriott Rewards account. I have not merged the accounts yet. Will upgrading to the SPG Luxury provide an additional 15 elite night credits for this year? I realize 2019 it's 15 elite nights max regardless of number of co-brand cards. The 15 elite nights credit would be the most valuable for me, but wouldn't bother if for some reason I couldn't get it. I'm not very clear on the terms of the application.
You will not get 15 extra nights. None of the presently offered cards (Chase or Amex) grant qualifying nights for 2018. That is a very specific and intentional limitation.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:06 pm

Saw this on /r/churning, 125k targeted. https://imgur.com/a/pfcMmHE

Right after I chose to upgrade. Ugh. Of these 3 cards, if you had to choose two, which ones do you choose? CSP/CSR/SPG Luxury.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by caburrito

Right after I chose to upgrade. Ugh. Of these 3 cards, if you had to choose two, which ones do you choose? CSP/CSR/SPG Luxury.
For the points CSP and CSR. For the long term value keep CSR only.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by caburrito

Between 125k new card and 100k upgrade, I'll still choose upgrade.
Among these three cards, keep CSR and maybe Luxury.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.