Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Safetravel3
I read it's for incidentals only. I do use hotel limos, but don't want to bother with getting the statement credits.
Regarding the $300 statement credits for spend at Marriott hotels - where does it say the credit is for incidental spend only (vs. room rate as well)???
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by geo1005
Regarding the $300 statement credits for spend at Marriott hotels - where does it say the credit is for incidental spend only (vs. room rate as well)???
It doesn't say that. It says that incidental spend will only be covered if it's on your hotel bill. (Which I suspect is the point of your question.)

It's just a statement credit, it's not limited to specific categories.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It doesn't say that. It says that incidental spend will only be covered if it's on your hotel bill. (Which I suspect is the point of your question.)

It's just a statement credit, it's not limited to specific categories.
Thanks for the reply Kacee.

I'm not concerned with incidental spend, what I'm trying to determine is if actual nightly room rate charges are part of the $300 credit???
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Platinum, Amex SPG, Chase CSR, Citi TYP
On the Amex website, it reads "Eligible SPG or Marriott Rewards property purchases must be made directly with the participating SPG or Marriott Rewards property and charged to your Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Starwood Preferred Guest®American Express Luxury Card at checkout in order to be recognized as SPG or Marriott Rewards purchases."

This statement is confusing at best. By looking at how Amex treats statement credits on other cards, I wouldn't be surprised that it only includes incidentals. If including room charge, wouldn't Amex say it? The key word is "purchase." What does it mean? Room charge doesn't sound like "purchase?!"
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
Thanks for the reply Kacee.

I'm not concerned with incidental spend, what I'm trying to determine is if actual nightly room rate charges are part of the $300 credit???
Spoke with Amex CS and SPG CS, both said it covers room rate, not just incidentals.
geo1005, wmz and bryanb like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by miles4CDG
Spoke with Amex CS and SPG CS, both said it covers room rate, not just incidentals.
Wow, that changes my view on the card!!! Thanks a lot!!!
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by Safetravel3
Wow, that changes my view on the card!!! Thanks a lot!!!
Just called back Amex and got further clarification on the statement credit - it is a one-shot $300 credit against a folio that is $300+. Room rate & incidentals. So it does not work like the Chase Sapphire Reserve Travel Credit that credits back any qualifying travel purchases up to $300. If you have a folio under $300, you do not trigger the credit.
geo1005 and Explore SE Asia like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:31 am

I called Amex too, and yes, it includes all charges including room rates. But the card is not a metal card.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:32 am

Just called back Amex and got further clarification on the statement credit - it is a one-shot $300 credit against a folio that is $300+. Room rate & incidentals. So it does not work like the Chase Sapphire Reserve Travel Credit that credits back any qualifying travel purchases up to $300. If you have a folio under $300, you do not trigger the credit.
Thank you very much again. This is really helpful!!
geo1005, miles4CDG and clooz like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll say that the bloggers have done such a good job pumping this card, I was actually considering it. On reflection, that's just craziness. If you remove the 100k point bonus, the benefits barely pencil out, and then only if you can make full use of the free night cert (i.e., burn it for a property costing more than 40k points or more).

If they had simply maintained the spend from the legacy card - i.e., 3 MR points per dollar of unbonused spend - I would probably take the plunge. But no matter how you slice it, the Amex SPG cards have been hugely devalued.
Explore SE Asia and lotrbfme like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:43 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Saidoh
For those of you that either took an upgrade offer or applied for a new card:
1. Have you combined your accounts yet, and if so, MR to SPG or vice versa?
2. Did you have points from your last SPG billing cycle, and have they posted yet, or are you still waiting?
I got the 100K upgrade offer for $5K spend in 3 mos, so I upgraded. An extra 100K points for no new hard credit pull and an extra $55 (after the $300 credit I'll easily earn) seemed a no-brainer for me. The extra cert is gravy that I may or may not use.

1. I combined on Monday to the Marriott number. (I’d memorized it already, so I didn’t want to have to remember a new number.)
2. I have no idea. I assume they’ll all eventually post regardless. I never used the SPG personal card much compared to the heavy use my SPG business card gets.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 24, 2018 at 11:29 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'll say that the bloggers have done such a good job pumping this card, I was actually considering it. On reflection, that's just craziness. If you remove the 100k point bonus, the benefits barely pencil out, and then only if you can make full use of the free night cert (i.e., burn it for a property costing more than 40k points or more).

If they had simply maintained the spend from the legacy card - i.e., 3 MR points per dollar of unbonused spend - I would probably take the plunge. But no matter how you slice it, the Amex SPG cards have been hugely devalued.
Exactly my thoughts. Most people think that the up to 50k night is awesome but it is not. First, you only get it after paying $900 in fees. Then, next year when you actually get the night, we will get the nice Marriott surprise they have prepared for us. Properties costing a variable amount depending on "peak and off peak" so the up to 50k would become a lot less valuable.

For instance: Hotel Maria Cristina would be bookable during the "off peak" but during those times night rates are $250... So you are not getting awesome value. Specially considering you paid $900 for that first free night.

Earning rates are terrible. 0.67 miles per dollar.

No elite benefits on Gold status.

No other perk.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Exactly my thoughts. Most people think that the up to 50k night is awesome but it is not.
Plus, the legacy card gives a 35k cert for a $95 fee, so there's only added value if you redeem from 40-50k. And it also gives you 6 points per dollar on SPG/Marriott spend. So the only thing you get for an additional annual fee of $355 is the $300 statement credit and the possibility of redeeming at a slightly higher category property.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:41 am

Plus, the legacy card gives a 35k cert for a $95 fee, so there's only added value if you redeem from 40-50k. And it also gives you 6 points per dollar on SPG/Marriott spend. So the only thing you get for an additional annual fee of $355 is the $300 statement credit and the possibility of redeeming at a slightly higher category property.
Don't forget upgrade bonus if you can get a meaningful one (50k or 100k). I'll product change back if I can not fully utilize the 50k free night and $300 credit.
Werty7777 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:22 pm

Just call Amex and get different answer. Here are some data points and and Q/A:
1. Business card anniversary on 8/7. Statement date 8/10. Points for last statement posted on today 8/24 sometime between 8am-11am. No free night cert yet. CSR said I'm eligible but may take some time to post. He said 8-12 weeks.
2. Personal card got an 100k upgrade offer. Accepted yesterday and got no email confirmation. Web page still shows regular card. CSR said it's already become luxury card since yesterday. No worry.
3. Personal card anniversary is on 11/01. CSR said anniversary has not been reset so I can get the free night in Nov. Also $300 credit both before Nov and after Nov.
4. He said there is no at least $300 limit. It can be any amount as long as charging to the room and paid with the card.

If what I heard is true, it's a good deal for upgrade.
zymm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.