Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Reply

Old Aug 25, 18, 11:50 am
  #121  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,573
Originally Posted by cab747 View Post
This is the confusing part. Why in the t&c does it state a 2018 and 2019 section about the elite nights. We all know in 2019 it's 15 max regardless of number of co-brand cards. I thought it would be possible to get 15 nights for 2018 also?

Is Marriott and SPG each awarding a max of 15 elite nights this year? I haven't merged yet, got my 15 from the Marriott Visa, and my 5 from the SPG Amex. I thought maybe I could get another 10 nights if an upgrade to the Luxury card was made. But I don't know.
The 15 elite nights post at renewal, not at initiation. With a new SPG Amex Luxury card account, nobody will have a renewal until 2019.

I don't know how will it will work if you upgrade an existing SPG Amex personal card account that has a renewal between now and the end of 2018. My guess is that the first renewal of the SPG Luxury card would be a year from initiation of the account, not when the personal card would have renewed.
Horace is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 18, 12:15 pm
  #122  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,139
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
The 15 elite nights post at renewal, not at initiation. With a new SPG Amex Luxury card account, nobody will have a renewal until 2019.

I don't know how will it will work if you upgrade an existing SPG Amex personal card account that has a renewal between now and the end of 2018. My guess is that the first renewal of the SPG Luxury card would be a year from initiation of the account, not when the personal card would have renewed.
Never thought of that, and it makes perfect sense. Thanks!
cab747 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 18, 12:46 pm
  #123  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by cab747 View Post
This is the confusing part. Why in the t&c does it state a 2018 and 2019 section about the elite nights. We all know in 2019 it's 15 max regardless of number of co-brand cards. I thought it would be possible to get 15 nights for 2018 also?

Is Marriott and SPG each awarding a max of 15 elite nights this year? I haven't merged yet, got my 15 from the Marriott Visa, and my 5 from the SPG Amex. I thought maybe I could get another 10 nights if an upgrade to the Luxury card was made. But I don't know.
They're awarding 15 nights to people who apply in 2018 in 2019. Theyíll appear before March if they arenít stacking on top of another card.
bradpetrik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 18, 1:09 pm
  #124  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,569
Originally Posted by iluvdoco View Post
DoC said that Amex confirmed that room rate charges count towards the $300 credit. Who wants to be the first guinea pig?

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...a-second-look/
Interesting. Upgraded.

(My AF was charged back in April, so based on my calculations I'll only have to pay $300 or so for this year. Since I'm going to be staying at a Starwood property in a couple of weeks, I should easily be able to use the credit, making it effectively $0. I'll definitely update in this thread if the credit doesn't actually get applied.)
tmiw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 18, 3:52 pm
  #125  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Interesting. Upgraded.

(My AF was charged back in April, so based on my calculations I'll only have to pay $300 or so for this year. Since I'm going to be staying at a Starwood property in a couple of weeks, I should easily be able to use the credit, making it effectively $0. I'll definitely update in this thread if the credit doesn't actually get applied.)
Curious - what was your offer?
bradpetrik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 18, 3:57 pm
  #126  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,569
Originally Posted by bradpetrik View Post
Curious - what was your offer?
100K points/$5K spend.
tmiw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 18, 4:36 pm
  #127  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex, Marriott,
Posts: 174
Not worth th3 annual fee
Ramonmv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 18, 4:53 pm
  #128  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Actually I would not call that great value (or really even good value) when you factor in the opportunity cost in light of 5/24 and Amex's new policy of denying bonuses if you open/close too many cards. With these anti-churning policies in place, most of us need to pick our new cards carefully. Net benefit of $600 (in MR points) over two years is in relative terms not very good at all IMO.
i appreciate your post. I already have the Marriott Premier Rewards Card from Chase, but I was considering the SPG Luxury, since I could still qualify for the 100,000 signup bonus (After today, I won't have that option).
I will already get Marriott status and 15 nights through my Chase card, and the Luxury Card won't do anything to help that.

With regard to 5/24, I am currently at 6, and will be at 5 in October and 4 in March/2019. Luckily, I already have all current Chase cards I need, so 5/24 isn't a huge concern.

For someone that doesn't already have a Marriott or SPG card, I can definitely see how the Luxury Card makes sense. During the first year, you get a signup bonus and $300 credit and a "free" night and $300 credit the second year, easily offsetting the $450 annual fee. Plus, you would still get the Marriott status and 15 qualifying nights.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Certainly not in same league as AMEX Plat, CSR, or Amex Aspire.
Thanks for also validating my previous choices. I have the CSR and enjoy that since I can book directly with the hotel, or use Priceline/Hotels.com to save money, and still earn 3x back. The $300 travel credit can be used even without traveling, via Ubers, buses, subway passes etc.

The Platinum offers a $200 airline and $200 Uber credit, also offers Marriott status, and other benefits that don't overlap with my current cards.

People are right when they say that $300 SPG Luxury credit is much easier to use than the $250 resort credit of the Hilton Amex Aspire. However, the Aspire offers a $250 airline credit and an anniversary night that can be substantially more valuable, as long as you can redeem on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday. As an aside, the Amex Aspire gives the free weekend night during your first year too, unlike the SPG Luxury.

Even if I just use the airline credit and free night, I feel justified in paying the $450 annual fee. This year, I was able to max out the resort AND airline credit AND use my weekend night at a property that normally goes for over $400 Euros.

Now, if I stopped taking Uber AND Amex dramatically altered they way that the Aspire and Platinum airline credits work, I would have to re-evaluate my choices, but, at this point, I think both of those cards, along with the CSR offer more value than the SPG Luxury.
Explore SE Asia likes this.
diesteldorf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 18, 9:40 pm
  #129  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Former UA 1K
Posts: 558
Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
i appreciate your post. I already have the Marriott Premier Rewards Card from Chase, but I was considering the SPG Luxury, since I could still qualify for the 100,000 signup bonus (After today, I won't have that option).
I will already get Marriott status and 15 nights through my Chase card, and the Luxury Card won't do anything to help that.

With regard to 5/24, I am currently at 6, and will be at 5 in October and 4 in March/2019. Luckily, I already have all current Chase cards I need, so 5/24 isn't a huge concern.

For someone that doesn't already have a Marriott or SPG card, I can definitely see how the Luxury Card makes sense. During the first year, you get a signup bonus and $300 credit and a "free" night and $300 credit the second year, easily offsetting the $450 annual fee. Plus, you would still get the Marriott status and 15 qualifying nights.



Thanks for also validating my previous choices. I have the CSR and enjoy that since I can book directly with the hotel, or use Priceline/Hotels.com to save money, and still earn 3x back. The $300 travel credit can be used even without traveling, via Ubers, buses, subway passes etc.

The Platinum offers a $200 airline and $200 Uber credit, also offers Marriott status, and other benefits that don't overlap with my current cards.

People are right when they say that $300 SPG Luxury credit is much easier to use than the $250 resort credit of the Hilton Amex Aspire. However, the Aspire offers a $250 airline credit and an anniversary night that can be substantially more valuable, as long as you can redeem on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday. As an aside, the Amex Aspire gives the free weekend night during your first year too, unlike the SPG Luxury.

Even if I just use the airline credit and free night, I feel justified in paying the $450 annual fee. This year, I was able to max out the resort AND airline credit AND use my weekend night at a property that normally goes for over $400 Euros.

Now, if I stopped taking Uber AND Amex dramatically altered they way that the Aspire and Platinum airline credits work, I would have to re-evaluate my choices, but, at this point, I think both of those cards, along with the CSR offer more value than the SPG Luxury.
I was hoping this thread would convince me to get the luxury card.

Your setup is similar to what I am aiming for. I am planning to add the Aspire card in the next couple of months. If you are using hotels.com, you should check out the Capital One Venture/VentureOne cards. You can earn 10% at hotels.com with the cards (in addition to 10% with hotels.com rewards).
LF72 likes this.
Explore SE Asia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 18, 1:26 pm
  #130  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,569
Just got an email saying that my card's been replaced in Google Pay. Kinda makes me wonder whether the charges I've made between the time I agreed to the upgrade and now actually counted towards minimum spend (I'm fairly sure they do, but correct me if I'm wrong).
tmiw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 18, 3:32 am
  #131  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: saint augustine, FL USA
Posts: 459
Has anyone, during the application process, had the AMEX pop up saying they were ineligible for the bonus? I didn't, but have had SPG bonuses in the past. Maybe they are treating this as a new type card.
frankhi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 18, 3:53 am
  #132  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 233
I signed up for the 100k bonus and later that day I got invited by SPG to apply for a 125k bonus. Seems like I messed up and applied too early. For me I thought it came out to a $0 annual fee.

I exclusively use Marriot now that they have the lower end hotels, I used to do SPG and then hotels on Priceline when hotels were outside a price range that I liked.

Seems like if my math is correct you get the below deal if you get the bonus and don't care about the insurance and/or Priority pass and won't use it for non Marriot stays:

Year 1
  • $150 cash cost ($300 off the annual fee of $450)
  • $900 in points (100k at 0.9 cents per point)
  • 16.65% back in rewards (12.5 points per dollar for gold elite and 6 points per dollar for the card at 0.9 cents per point)
  • Total (if you just stay for the $300 credit) profit is $499.95 (rewards minus annual fee)
Year 2 onwards
  • $150 cash cost ($300 off the annual fee of $450)
  • 50k annual cert (worth up to $450)
  • 16.65% back in rewards (12.5 points per dollar for gold elite and 6 points per dollar for the card at 0.9 cents per point)
  • Total (if you just stay for the $300 credit) profit is $49.95 (rewards minus annual fee)
The only reason it is worth it for me is that there are a lot of higher prices Category 2 hotels in Asia that give me a value of 0.9 to 1 cent per point, making the 6 points per dollar worth 5.4% rather than the 4.5% on CSR. Also often with award stays on SPG I didn't have to pay for the taxes which can be steep in some countries. I also drive to further airports and use hotels to get the parking deals.

I often travel to London and the parking deals are amazing, 8 days of parking included in a 1 night stay at $158 works out to 2,698 points (only earn on the taxable portion) so my total cost is $133.72 for parking coming to $16.71 per day for parking including a free hotel stay.
Sintaku is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 18, 6:34 pm
  #133  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: LA CA
Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
Posts: 58
Got my card today via UPS, disappointed that itís plastic and not metal.
sngorman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 18, 6:52 pm
  #134  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,569
Originally Posted by sngorman View Post
Got my card today via UPS, disappointed that itís plastic and not metal.
Personally, I'm not really bothered by plastic vs. metal. Then again, other $450+ AF cards do it, so it's kinda expected at this point.
oopsz likes this.
tmiw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 18, 7:00 pm
  #135  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 53
The old Marriott card from chase is heavier than this card too. Again, the card weight/material is not relevant but it is expected at the price point.
Werty7777 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread