Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:32 pm

(Ambassador level fwiw..).I’m gonna bail on this card when the AF posts. Devaluations and Peak Pricing make it a distant second to the Ritz-Carlton card (grandfathered @$395) and one can no longer stack the nights toward status. Bonvoy points lost further value when they devalued travel packages too. Sapphire Reserve generally works better for points accumulation (as of now). Ymmv. Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:03 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by jeepie
....and one can no longer stack the nights toward status. .
Can you elaborate? Did I miss something or are you referring to not being able to have multiple cards and the EQNs from each card (15 from this one) stack with another card?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by EdV
Can you elaborate? Did I miss something or are you referring to not being able to have multiple cards and the EQNs from each card (15 from this one) stack with another card?
Yes, that's what it meant. With SPG you could have multiple cards and the nights from each card counted.
jeepie likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:12 pm

Just wanted to clarify amex rules - I can't get a new signup bonus on a card if I got an upgrade bonus? So you always want to get the premium version of a card (aspire/brilliant) and the signup bonus before upgrading an existing lower card (bonvoy/surpass) is this correct?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
(Ambassador level fwiw..).I’m gonna bail on this card when the AF posts. Devaluations and Peak Pricing make it a distant second to the Ritz-Carlton card (grandfathered @$395) and one can no longer stack the nights toward status. Bonvoy points lost further value when they devalued travel packages too. Sapphire Reserve generally works better for points accumulation (as of now). Ymmv. Cheers.
Doing the exact same thing for similar reasons. Only difference is that I am a lowly Titanium
LF72 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:32 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by porphyra
Doing the exact same thing for similar reasons. Only difference is that I am a lowly Titanium
Sure do whatever works for you.

But if you can get $150 out of the FN, then you are on top, not even counting the Priority Pass, TSA/Global Entry. Even after the devaluations, this is still not hard to get. So for the card alone, it is net positive for most of the people.

I would not say this is a distance second to the Ritz card if you look at the normal annual fee of $450. The $300 travel incident vs hotel credit is pretty much a wash. All the other benefits are pretty much the same.

So for anyone who still stays at Marriott properties, this card is no brainer. But if you do not travel, or do not stay at any Marriott hotels, then this card is no use to you.

Last edited by RedSun; Mar 17, 2020 at 12:35 pm Reason: Correction
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RedSun

But if you can get $150 out of the FN, then you are on top, not even counting the Priority Pass, TSA/Global Entry. Even after the devaluations, this is still not hard to get. So for the card alone, it is net positive for most of the people.

I would not say this is a distance second to the Ritz card if you look at the normal annual fee of $450. The $300 travel incident vs hotel credit is pretty much a wash. All the other benefits are pretty much the same. Ritz card does have a better Priority Pass card and the $50k (vs $75k) to get to Marriott Platinum.

So for anyone who still stays at Marriott properties, this card is no brainer. But if you do not travel, or do not stay at any Marriott hotels, then this card is no use to you.
Both cards are $75,000 spend for platinum.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Ya right about it....
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:18 pm

$300 Bonvoy Brilliant Credit for Cancelled Prepaid Rate

Hi!

i couldn’t find this topic covered in the forums. My apologies if I missed it.

We have a trip planned to Montreal in early June. We booked a prepaid rate using our Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card and received the $300 credit. Due to the Coronavirus, we will most likely be cancelling this trip. It looks like we would get a refund if we cancel in April per the policy on their website “For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, we will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival,* as long as the change or cancellation is made by April 30, 2020.”

My question is...if we cancel and get the money refunded to our credit card, will Amex take back the $300 credit? Being able to use the credit each year was a big deciding factor in getting this high-end card. Unfortunately, my anniversary year Is in early April so I see no other way of using the $300 credit as travel has pretty much come to a standstill.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Tim

Last edited by TimKHouston; Mar 17, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: Yes
They should..

It’s the same premise behind standard rewards. If you receive X cash back or points per dollar spent and then cancel the good or service, the rewards are deducted.

Last edited by anteater; Mar 17, 2020 at 10:02 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:52 pm

Recently Amex has been clawing back airline credits when people got refunds on those charges. I think if they can figure it out, they will attempt to claw it back.
However, haven't seen any claw-back reports yet in the dedicated Amex thread for this card.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...reports-2.html

-David
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:59 pm

Thanks! This is such a new situation because usually these prepaid rates were totally non-refundable.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RedSun

I would not say this is a distance second to the Ritz card if you look at the normal annual fee of $450. The $300 travel incident vs hotel credit is pretty much a wash. All the other benefits are pretty much the same.

Good points that "may" work for others. However, let's counter:
1) Ritz-carlton for me is grandfathered at $395 just as the other poster; hence automatically that makes it more valuable. For those with the $450 AF, maybe it is a wash
2) Priority Pass are offered on both cards. Except the Ritz-carlton offers full Priority Pass for free for all additional supplementary cardholders. Also the PP on the RC card is of the unlimited variety (or up to 9). Have never had a guest issue and my wife gets her own pass. The Bonvoy card does NOT offer a priority pass membership to supplementary card holders. Also works at Priority pass restaurants that the Bonvoy card doesn't work at. For Global entry/TSA - you are getting these once in 5 years. Not sure if that is such a deal maker. Also offered on both.
3) RC card has primary auto insurance while the Bonvoy doesn't. Also a big deal for a lot of people.
4) Finally with the point deval. i find the certificates (50K) quite worthless to justify the $150 additional spend. I had 120 nights in Marriott last year, and yet I never found ample opportunity to use it.

If it works for others, great, but to me it is a distant second to the RC card. Even with the lost $100 off domestic flights benefit.
LF72 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by porphyra
Good points that "may" work for others. However, let's counter:
1) Ritz-carlton for me is grandfathered at $395 just as the other poster; hence automatically that makes it more valuable. For those with the $450 AF, maybe it is a wash
2) Priority Pass are offered on both cards. Except the Ritz-carlton offers full Priority Pass for free for all additional supplementary cardholders. Also the PP on the RC card is of the unlimited variety (or up to 9). Have never had a guest issue and my wife gets her own pass. The Bonvoy card does NOT offer a priority pass membership to supplementary card holders. Also works at Priority pass restaurants that the Bonvoy card doesn't work at. For Global entry/TSA - you are getting these once in 5 years. Not sure if that is such a deal maker. Also offered on both.
3) RC card has primary auto insurance while the Bonvoy doesn't. Also a big deal for a lot of people.
4) Finally with the point deval. i find the certificates (50K) quite worthless to justify the $150 additional spend. I had 120 nights in Marriott last year, and yet I never found ample opportunity to use it.

If it works for others, great, but to me it is a distant second to the RC card. Even with the lost $100 off domestic flights benefit.
1) You can't compare one card with regular AF with another card with reduced AF. This is apple vs orange.
2) Priority pass. I already said Ritz card PP is somehow better. Not a deal breaker since a lot people have more than one PP.
3) Rental insurance. Other CCs offer too. A lot people do not care.
4) Marriott point devaluation. Both cards have the same 50k FN. So I do not see this has anything to do with the two cards.

With all the main benefits, I do not see those two cards have big differences. So I would not say one card is a distant second to the other. If you can't get $150 with the 50K FN, then you do not use it right. And you do not put any value on the PP, TSA/Global entry, Marriott Gold and $100 Ritz/St. Regia stay credit....
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: None - previously UA
One of the reappearing cancelled reservations triggered the credit for me in November 19. It took several weeks to refund the hotel charge and its been about 4 months now and the Amex credit has not been clawed back. I will get very agitated if they do attempt to claw it back since I have other charges since which would have triggered it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.