Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by friedablass
Even if its $105 including tax it's worth not closing the card and paying $95 for that.
‘Not necessarily - Paying cash and putting that stay on a Brilliant would net me 1,943 points (12.5 standard points, 6 points after using the Brilliant), which I value at $15.50. It’s even better if I can apply the Brilliant Marriott credit.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
‘Not necessarily - Paying cash and putting that stay on a Brilliant would net me 1,943 points (12.5 standard points, 6 points after using the Brilliant), which I value at $15.50. It’s even better if I can apply the Brilliant Marriott credit.
Very true. I guess to me it would depend on the age, credit history, and credit limit on the card I'm considering to close. I'm always hesitant to just close any card but my former SPG card is one of my oldest with a long history and high credit limit so I would be loathe to close it and would rather use the free night benefit to just cover the annual fee even if I'd get better value by charging to a Brilliant card.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by friedablass
Very true. I guess to me it would depend on the age, credit history, and credit limit on the card I'm considering to close. I'm always hesitant to just close any card but my former SPG card is one of my oldest with a long history and high credit limit so I would be loathe to close it and would rather use the free night benefit to just cover the annual fee even if I'd get better value by charging to a Brilliant card.
Yeah, for me it’s the opposite - I first got the former SPG card in September 2018, and it is a significantly lower credit limit than the Brilliant I got earlier this year... I do want a Marriott card long term though, and I am way over 5/24, so having a downgrade option in the future is important
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Got a retention of 30k/$3k for spend of about 100k in the last 13 mo. Closed.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Old SPG card AF hit a couple of weeks ago. I now have a 125Kpt offer in my account to upgrade. If I do so will I forfeit the anniversary night this year? Any data points?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Old SPG card AF hit a couple of weeks ago. I now have a 125Kpt offer in my account to upgrade. If I do so will I forfeit the anniversary night this year? Any data points?
I was in a similar situation when I received the 125k offer. I had already paid the AF for the SPG card before receiving the offer, but still had not received the free night award. I asked the Amex rep if I would get the 35k FNA despite upgrading and she said I would. If I were you, I'd call in to upgrade and get verbal confirmation that you'll get the FNA from the SPG card if you upgrade, but I think you will.
tstauck likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I was in a similar situation when I received the 125k offer. I had already paid the AF for the SPG card before receiving the offer, but still had not received the free night award. I asked the Amex rep if I would get the 35k FNA despite upgrading and she said I would. If I were you, I'd call in to upgrade and get verbal confirmation that you'll get the FNA from the SPG card if you upgrade, but I think you will.
A rep on the phone told me it was a lucky position because having the upgraded card prior to receiving the free night meant I'd get the 50K free night instead. I'm not buying that scenario hence why I'm asking for DPs.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
A rep on the phone told me it was a lucky position because having the upgraded card prior to receiving the free night meant I'd get the 50K free night instead. I'm not buying that scenario hence why I'm asking for DPs.
A 50K FNA would be even better, but I agree, you need to verify and get the name of the rep who told you so you can hold them to it. I hope you get the deal.^
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:09 am

Hi there! So sorry if this has been posted already - tried to search for it but couldn't find it. Do Advanced Purchase rates (hotel prepays) trigger the $300 Bonvoy Brilliant credit? I was going to buy gift cards, but I hate that you can't use gift cards to buy advanced purchase rates (which are often quite a bit cheaper than flexible rates). Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I upgraded and got the e-mail saying I will receive the 50K. Upgraded 9/21 and my annual fee of $95 hit 10/6. Already used the $300 Bonvoy credit.

New annual fee of $450 won't be charged until November according to the e-mail they sent. Not sure how they will pro-rate the $95.

The e-mail reads:

You’re close to receiving a Free Night Award
from Marriott Bonvoy
TM

Happy Card anniversary! We wanted to remind you that you will receive one annual Free Night Award from Marriott Bonvoy each year of Card Membership within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date.

You can redeem the Free Night Award e-certificate for a one-night stay inclusive of room rate and applicable taxes (additional mandatory resort fees may apply) at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels with a redemption level at or under 50,000 Bonvoy points.

You will receive an email from Marriott Bonvoy to the email address listed on your loyalty member account confirming that the Free Night Award e-certificate has been deposited into your loyalty Bonvoy member account. The email will also provide instructions on how to redeem your Free Night Award e-certificate. To qualify for the Free Night Award, your account must be open and not in default at the time of the Free Night Award e-certificate issuance. Please see below for important Terms & Conditions.

Please confirm the correct email address is included in your loyalty Bonvoy member profile - you can do this by accessing your profile on marriottbonvoy.com or by calling 1-888-625-4988.

Thank you for your Card Membership.

Enjoy!

American Express Customer Care
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:58 pm

Which hotel does sell physical gift card in Georgia? thanks,
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
I assume you can’t call AMEX to ask for offers (if you can and anyone has been successful, please tell me).
Just as a DP, I called AMEX a week ago about a different issue and while I was on the phone, I mentioned I would be interested in the 125k upgrade offer. The agent said she would notate my account, but I haven't heard back so I assume it's not promising. Will update if anything changes.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
1. I have the same Amex offer on my card, so I asked the Amex rep if that and any other offers would be carried over to the new Bonvoy Brillant Card, and she said yes, anything offers on or associated with the old card would automatically carry over to the new card. If you'r still worried about it, you could just download the same offer on your new card when you get it.
Just a follow-up that this (and another) response were spot on: I can now be the DP that says that with the upgrade having been made, the offer ($100 back on >$500 spend at luxury Bonvoy hotels) is still on the card (was regular Bonvoy, now is Bonvoy Brilliant).

[Update] ... and can now further confirm receipt of the credit after a R-C stay. FWIW, this was in spite of not having received the "Congrats! You used your Amex Offer" e-mail. I confess to having sweated a bit; I share this so that you do not need to.
Zorak likes this.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Oct 31, 2019 at 11:09 am Reason: Further update
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:29 pm

A 50K FNA would be even better, but I agree, you need to verify and get the name of the rep who told you so you can hold them to it. I hope you get the deal.^
Did you get your FNA yet? My AF hit last month and now I have the 125K upgrade offer on my account - says offer expires 10/30, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger or not. On a separate note, do we need to meet the spend requirement organically or does MS work on this card?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Has anyone tried to double dip? As in apply for a Brilliant then get the upgrade on an existing card after? I would have to close an Amex card and I'm not sure if I'd get approved for the Brilliant, and I'm not sure if I would lose the upgrade offer either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.