Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 10:01 pm

Can you downgrade to the regular Bonvoy card and still get the free night (either 35k or 50k)?

Don't want to end up in some limbo situation where I get neither.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Flyertalker1

any update on the STR / Ritz rate? Website is down for me currently and can’t check myself
bump. Has anyone used the Brilliant rate code for this?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:28 pm

After having no upgrade incentive for months, I checked yesterday and I can now upgrade my regular Amex Bonvoy card to Brilliant with 50,000 points bonus. Seems like a good deal, but I'll hold out if there's likely to get something better. I know there was an earlier targeted bonus of 100,000 points, which seemed almost too good to be true.

I assume that my current free night certificate would still be 35,000, and that I'll get my next certificate on the SPG Amex anniversary date (i.e. my existing card) good for a 50,000 point room. Does that sound right?

Besides the upgrade bonus, it seems about equivalent to the current card. Fee jumps $350, but that's tempered by the $300 Marriott credit. Worth the extra $50 for the better free night to me. Given I already have Priority Pass, any other benefits to the Brilliant card?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Applied today, got the instant approval, then when I requested the instant card number got an error that said their systems are not responding and I would receive a $60 statement credit. Frankly the $60 is more than worth waiting a week for the physical card.

Anyone know how long it takes to set up Priority Pass? I tried through the amex website and it threw an error saying not available, then when I went back to the benefits page it says "pending". Went back a second time and it now says "status unavailable"
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Anyone know how long it takes to set up Priority Pass? I tried through the amex website and it threw an error saying not available, then when I went back to the benefits page it says "pending". Went back a second time and it now says "status unavailable"
I received the physical PP materials about a week after submitting.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zorak
I received the physical PP materials about a week after submitting.
Same for me.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do believe, based on some comments previously in this thread (and my own experience), you should expect to see your certificate in your account 8 to 12 weeks after your renewal date. I think they process them once a month sometime during the the first week of each month. So if your renewal date is the 1st of a month, then you will probably see your cert about 2 months later during that cycle. If your renewal date is say the 8th of a month, then you will probably have to wait closer to the 3 months as that month's cycle has already completed and you will have to wait until the next month's cycle.
I just got the email from Marriott that I received the certificate. The AmEx email telling me that I'll receive the certificate within 8-12 weeks was sent on April 2nd, with the AF posting on the 17th. I'm guessing when the AmEx email was sent is the actual anniversary date and not when the AF posted, or else the cert probably wouldn't have shown up until next month.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Agreed - got my replacement card yesterday, don't see the point of a metal card except to be thicker/heavier - therefore not good. I will say the Amex card feels a bit cheapish as a metal card compared to the Sapphire card.
I just got my card in hand - the contactless Sapphire is the thinnest metal card I have. Bonvoy feels more rigid. The Amex Platinum and Capital One Venture (both without the contactless feature) are thicker and heavier (I do have a contactless Plat on the way)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:55 am

WHY WON'T THEY GIVE ME AN UPGRADE OFFER! I have the regular Bonvoy card that was converted from the Starwood card. I keep checking for bonus points to upgrade but no dice.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Data point on the Bonvoy credit - drinks at the rooftop bar at Moxy Chelsea NYC triggered the credit (I paid at the bar, wasn’t staying at the hotel)
tstauck likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:10 am

Does that mean the charge posted as a hotel category and not restaurant? The Westin Madrid restaurant didn't work. Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Does that mean the charge posted as a hotel category and not restaurant? The Westin Madrid restaurant didn't work. Thanks.
Payed directly at the restaurant, I'm assuming?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by anam
Payed directly at the restaurant, I'm assuming?
Sorry. Yes. I was responding to Adelphos who did the same. I didn't expect it to work. When I put it on the room bill, the credit appears in a couple days.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:09 pm

AMEX doesn't tell me how it categorized yet (should know in a day or two). However the credit has already applied. The charge appears as "MOXY CHELSEA RESTAURANT"
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:16 am

Sorry. Yes. I was responding to Adelphos who did the same. I didn't expect it to work. When I put it on the room bill, the credit appears in a couple days.
The charge coded as "Marriott Bonvoy" and it indicates I will earn 6x Marriott points on the purchase. I am guessing how these charges code will vary from restaurant to restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.