Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Wolverine
The first 50k Cert is given in Year 2 though after you've paid your second $450 AF. The Cert won't hit the account until 3 months after the Anniversary so you just can't get cancel the card in Year 1 and bank getting that Cert.
In my post I'm actually advocating for keeping the card long term and never mention cancelling or attempting to get the certificate and the AF reimbursed

I'm saying that in the long term the card pays for itself and the calculation is that in year one the card pays for itself with the [now] 75k bonus + $300 Marriott credit. In years 2 and beyond it pays for itself with the 50K certificate + $300 Marriott credit.
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've never really explored the world of hotel points, but I just signed up for this card and am excited to start using it.

One thing is slightly confusing to me, though. When I log in to my account on the amex website, I see my bonvoy number and ytd points earned as expected.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to actually log into my bonvoy account. I think I have an old marriott account that I never used, but it has a different number than the 4 digits shown on the Amex page. Did Amex open a new account for me (which would be totally fine by me) and, if so, how do i actually log in to it to take advantage?

Last edited by ColonelHughPickering; Apr 26, 2019 at 1:27 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ColonelHughPickering
I've never really explored the world of hotel points, but I just signed up for this card and am excited to start using it.

One thing is slightly confusing to me, though. When I log in to my account on the amex website, I see my bonvoy number and ytd points earned as expected.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to actually log into my bonvoy account. I think I have an old marriott account that I never used, but it has a different number than the 4 digits shown on the Amex page. Did Amex open a new account for me (which would be totally fine by me) and, if so, how do i actually log in to it to take advantage?
Ya. Unless you gave AMEX your Marriott # at the time of application, they created a new number for you. Call Marriott to see if your old number is still valid and if it is, call AMEX to have the points transferred to that account. If your existing Marriott account is an empty shell, you can then keep the new number AMEX assigned you and then go to the Marriott Bonvoy website and register a new acct. with the AMEX Bonvoy number. This is probably the easiest way, but again it all depends if you have any points in your old Marriott acct. There's lots of ways to cuts this tree for your particular situation.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Ya. Unless you gave AMEX your Marriott # at the time of application, they created a new number for you. Call Marriott to see if your old number is still valid and if it is, call AMEX to have the points transferred to that account. If your existing Marriott account is an empty shell, you can then keep the new number AMEX assigned you and then go to the Marriott Bonvoy website and register a new acct. with the AMEX Bonvoy number. This is probably the easiest way, but again it all depends if you have any points in your old Marriott acct. There's lots of ways to cuts this tree for your particular situation.
Thanks a lot! Any idea where to find the whole membership number? The Amex website only displays the last 4 digits and i don't remember receiving it elsewhere (though I'm sure I may have).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Received the new metal card today, two business days after I applied. $60 statement credit already reflected (because couldn't get new card number instantly as servers weren't responding). They said the $60 would take up 1-2 billing cycles to post, but posted instantly.

First AMEX card, and definitely pleased so far.

Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:02 pm

Earning points confusion

I have the Marriott Brilliant card and a Marriott Bonvoy account gold status. Does this mean that I earn 6x points on Marriott stays with the Brilliant card + 5 or 10x points by just having the Marriott Bonvoy account make it effectively 11 or 16x points total per dollar spent in the same Marriott Bonvoy points pool?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by rjruiz
I have the Marriott Brilliant card and a Marriott Bonvoy account gold status. Does this mean that I earn 6x points on Marriott stays with the Brilliant card + 5 or 10x points by just having the Marriott Bonvoy account make it effectively 11 or 16x points total per dollar spent in the same Marriott Bonvoy points pool?
Here's the short answer:

1. From the program terms:
You’ll earn 10 points per US$1 spent on eligible hotel charges, except at Element®, Residence Inn® and TownePlace Suites® hotels, where you’ll earn five points per eligible US$1
2. From the terms for Gold status: you earn an extra 25% bonus on the base earnings for being Gold (The above + bonus are normally awarded by Marriott after checkout and post within a few days)

3. From Amex's terms: You'll also earn 6 points per dollar on eligible Marriott charges made on the card (these points are normally awarded by Amex and transfer to your Marriott account within a few days of your statement)
jeepie and rjruiz like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tstauck
Received the new metal card today, two business days after I applied.
Jealous! Still using my old plastic card with the SPG design...
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by bdw1120
same, and while thankfully the #s are still visible, my name has almost totally wiped off. Hope the new metal replacement arrives soon.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by bdw1120
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
same, and while thankfully the #s are still visible, my name has almost totally wiped off. Hope the new metal replacement arrives soon.
Since they are already producing the metal cards you can just go online and request a replacement card and they'll send you the new one right now. You just need to select "damaged" under the reason for the replacement so that your account # wont change. I did this for the business card and they sent me the one with the updated design (my Brilliant came as the metal one from the get go). Also, when going through the steps to request the replacement, under shipping you should check to see if it offers you expedited shipping service (2-days) for free.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Since they are already producing the metal cards you can just go online and request a replacement card and they'll send you the new one right now. You just need to select "damaged" under the reason for the replacement so that your account # wont change. I did this for the business card and they sent me the one with the updated design (my Brilliant came as the metal one from the get go). Also, when going through the steps to request the replacement, under shipping you should check to see if it offers you expedited shipping service (2-days) for free.
Great to know! Thank you very much for the tip!
Old May 1, 2019, 11:22 pm

Got approved for card, received it (great packaging). Is there still a possibility they might come back later and deny the bonus offer? How can I validate that before running up several k spend on the card and risk it being wasted?
Old May 2, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NDS88
Got approved for card, received it (great packaging). Is there still a possibility they might come back later and deny the bonus offer? How can I validate that before running up several k spend on the card and risk it being wasted?
Why do you think they'd deny your bonus?
Old May 2, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
Why do you think they'd deny your bonus?
Possibly because at some point in the past (very possibly within the last 2 years) one may have received a bonus from AMEX for previous card.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Not sure if this has been already discussed. I have the old AMEX SPG card, and now AMEX is giving me an upgrade offer to get Brilliant:

1. 50K bonus points for $2500 spend.
2. No hard credit pull.
3. Same account number so there's no credit score impact.

I already have Chase CSR so I don't need the priority pass and I will charge airlines and non-Marriott hotel spendings to CSR. What I will really get include $300 credit and 50K annual certificate.

Should I go forward? Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.