Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:22 am

I upgraded my Amex card for the 100k points. The points posted few days after I reached the 5k spend. The membership fee finally posted about a month after I upgraded my card.

My Renew date is November, I upgraded Feb/March and the Membership Fee posted April. My membership fee was $300(was expecting 450 so 150 discount was pleasant surprise) and then I got like 66 adjustment credit. I already received my 300 credit on room spend so upgrading my card pretty much made the card $29 for the year. I think it was well worth it to upgrade if you have the 100k offer.

I'm probably just keeping the card for the 50k cert for $150(I can normally get rooms between $350-450 so saves me $200-300 bucks). Spending 300 is so easy, if you need to find ways to spend 300 to each year you probably shouldn't bother getting this card. All the other benefits on the card is not really worth it if you have the chase card. I wonder if I should try upgraded my chase one to the RC so I have 2 50k certs each year.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Best Western Diamond
Has anyone received their metal card yet? Seems odd that such a simple thing would take so long.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by tmiw
I know for their other metal cards (e.g. PRG), they do. It might take multiple phone calls to AmEx CS to get though.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: SPG
100 property credit on st Regis or ritz

Hi, wanted to see if the $100 property credit on the bonvoy brilliant card is only one time or for every 2 nights min reservations on a Regis or ritz property
Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Happy de-lurking! (join date Aug 2015!)

Originally Posted by bokimrx
Hi, wanted to see if the $100 property credit on the bonvoy brilliant card is only one time or for every 2 nights min reservations on a Regis or ritz property
Thanks
I haven't used this, but the T&C in the fine print on the email I received say "... receive a property credit of up to $100 per booking" and have other language that implies it is good on each booking of 2 nights or more, provided you book under the specific offer rate "under the Special Rates tab."
bokimrx and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:03 pm

EdV, schley, leng and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:07 pm

Received Two $300 Travel Credits in Six Months

I upgraded from the Amex SPG card to the Amex SPG Luxury card back in September 2018. A couple of weeks after upgrading I received the $300 travel credit which was applied to a stay I had that same month.

Now, a few days ago I received another $300 travel credit applied to a stay from last month.

Is this correct? I thought the Amex Luxury/Brilliant card provide the travel benefit once per year? Why did I get it twice in six months?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by milemonkey
I upgraded from the Amex SPG card to the Amex SPG Luxury card back in September 2018. A couple of weeks after upgrading I received the $300 travel credit which was applied to a stay I had that same month.

Now, a few days ago I received another $300 travel credit applied to a stay from last month.

Is this correct? I thought the Amex Luxury/Brilliant card provide the travel benefit once per year? Why did I get it twice in six months?
Did you just pass the anniversary date of your original card? IME those don't change when you upgrade, thus if so you got $300 credit right after upgrading as a feature of the new card, and then it reset after the anniversary (I enjoyed the same thing).
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:39 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
Did you just pass the anniversary date of your original card?
I was thinking the same thing. I upgraded in September of last year (2018) and received a $300 credit within weeks of upgrading. My renewal was January and sure enough in January of this year (2019) I received a 2nd $300 credit.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by black743
Has anyone received their metal card yet? Seems odd that such a simple thing would take so long.
Metal card arrived today (upgrade from regular Amex Bonvoy). Unlike the pictures posted above showing that it arrived in an envelope, mine arrived in a welcome box similar to how they package the Platinum product except that this box was a bit thicker as underneath the card they included a free Beagle Bluetooth tracker with the Amex and Marriott Bonvoy logo on it.
Adelphos and skooby like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by jdang
I upgraded my Amex card for the 100k points. The points posted few days after I reached the 5k spend. The membership fee finally posted about a month after I upgraded my card.

My Renew date is November, I upgraded Feb/March and the Membership Fee posted April. My membership fee was $300(was expecting 450 so 150 discount was pleasant surprise) and then I got like 66 adjustment credit. I already received my 300 credit on room spend so upgrading my card pretty much made the card $29 for the year. I think it was well worth it to upgrade if you have the 100k offer.

I'm probably just keeping the card for the 50k cert for $150(I can normally get rooms between $350-450 so saves me $200-300 bucks). Spending 300 is so easy, if you need to find ways to spend 300 to each year you probably shouldn't bother getting this card. All the other benefits on the card is not really worth it if you have the chase card. I wonder if I should try upgraded my chase one to the RC so I have 2 50k certs each year.
Do you know if moving forward your new renewal date will be in Apr instead of Nov? My renewal was in Sept, but upgraded last month and my prorated "renewal membership fee" just posted. I didn't realize (or forgot) about the $300 credit, so I only used about $200 on my last trip. Do you know when the $300 will reset? I want to take advantage of the other $100 before it resets!

Lastly, did you get your free night cert yet? Should you be getting it in Apr or Nov?

Any other data points out there? Thanks in advance, All!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
My renewal was in Sept, but upgraded last month and my prorated "renewal membership fee" just posted. I didn't realize (or forgot) about the $300 credit, so I only used about $200 on my last trip. Do you know when the $300 will reset? I want to take advantage of the other $100 before it resets!
There are three data points in the four most recent posts above yours your card retains its original (pre-upgrade) anniversary date, which is also when the $300 credit resets.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Quick question - I just received and accepted the offer to upgrade to the Brilliant card with the 100K bonus for $5K spend; do I have to wait for the new card to arrive for the spend to count, or does the spend I put on my current card count towards the $5K MSR? I know that the account number remains the same, but I want to know whether I should hold of on charging certain expenses or whether I can just do it now as they will count. Thanks.
I think you'll be fine - I had Marriott charges the day before we upgraded and they received the $300 credit! Which seems like the new card was instantly live.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I think you'll be fine - I had Marriott charges the day before we upgraded and they received the $300 credit! Which seems like the new card was instantly live.
That's good to know and I sure hope so at this point since 80% of the MSP was charged before the new card arrived. I did wait until the new account was showing up in my Amex account and the change was also reflected on Google Pay before making any charges so I guess I'll be OK, but comforting dps are always welcome
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Zorak
There are three data points in the four most recent posts above yours your card retains its original (pre-upgrade) anniversary date, which is also when the $300 credit resets.
Thanks! It wasn't clear since the pro-rated annual fee just posted. Good to know that I have until my original renewal date to use the $300 credit though it will be sooner anyway and it'll reset again at that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.