Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
I just got this card and I had a question regarding the $5k spend to get 100,000 points and the $300 Marriott credit. Specifically, do I have to actually spend $5,300 to get the 100,000 points if $300 of that is given back to me for the Marriott credit?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by swiftaw
I just got this card and I had a question regarding the $5k spend to get 100,000 points and the $300 Marriott credit. Specifically, do I have to actually spend $5,300 to get the 100,000 points if $300 of that is given back to me for the Marriott credit?
Coincidentally, I just upgraded my card and asked the rep today. He didn’t know, so he put me on hold and came back saying, yes. So, that’s what I’ll do. Cheers.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by jeepie

Coincidentally, I just upgraded my card and asked the rep today. He didn’t know, so he put me on hold and came back saying, yes. So, that’s what I’ll do. Cheers.
Nope, 5K is all you need. I did in in Aug/Sep last year with just over 5k total spend and got the 300 back in addition to an 60 dollar Amex offer. I believe it's mentioned twice in this thread.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Thanks. Any idea how quickly the bonus points show up in your account after hitting the $5K spend?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Traveler56789
I received an offer to upgrade to the Bonvoy Brilliant card for 100K points if I spend $5K in 3 months. The offer expires at the end of April. However, my credit card anniversary is in the next 2 weeks, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to upgrade before or after. Perhaps someone can provide some insight on the following:
  • Will I have to wait another year to get my 35K free night anniversary certificate if I upgrade now? In other words, does upgrading reset the clock when it comes to the anniversary date?
  • What happens if I pay the $95 fee before I upgrade the card? Will the annual fee count against the Bonvoy Brilliant $450 fee (so I'd only owe $355)?
Thanks!
to answer your question about anniversary date, it doesnt change with upgrade. Anniversary date remains the same. Also you will only be charged prorated difference of annual fee and refunded prorated difference. lets say you pay 95 and very next day you upgrade you most likely will be charged 450 and refunded 95. The only question is the free night certificate. this is the one i am not sure what will happen. they now post this 6-8 weeks after the annual fee and wont post if you cancel the card. but what if you upgrade? does it still post or is that considered closed and hence you will not get that cert. Call to see if you get a straight answer from amex.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:29 am

Thanks. Any idea how quickly the bonus points show up in your account after hitting the $5K spend?
if you are not a new amex customer in a day or 2 max.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Anyone received the new card yet?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:56 pm

Does anyone know if the $300 statement credit gets triggered if i book through Virtuoso for a Marriott property? I cannot seem to find it on this thread. The T&C state booking via the Marriott website but wondering if other people have datapoints to contradict this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I upgraded in Feb, hit the 5k two weeks ago and on the Amex site it shows the 100K (in the points earned YTD) but not yet in my Bonvoy account though my cycle isn’t until later this month so would seem that they post after your billing cycle when earned.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:54 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I just noticed that in the Amex Offers & Benefits, I now see the following 2 offers:
  1. Spend $200 or more at a Marriott Bonvoy hotel, get $40 back
  2. Spend $500 or more at a Bulgari hotel, get $100 back
I was able to take advantage of the last Marriott spend/get back offer and hopefully will be able to use this one as well. ^
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:45 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I just noticed that in the Amex Offers & Benefits, I now see the following 2 offers:
  1. Spend $200 or more at a Marriott Bonvoy hotel, get $40 back
  2. Spend $500 or more at a Bulgari hotel, get $100 back
I was able to take advantage of the last Marriott spend/get back offer and hopefully will be able to use this one as well. ^
I have both of these offers as well but both say "at participating locations" and then see T&C for more details / list. I can't find that list of which hotels (or aren't) participating in this. Any help?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:44 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I believe the last time Amex had this type of offer late last year/earlier this year, it had the same T&Cs, but I didn't have any issues getting the $40 (or whatever it was) back. I think that is probably just saying the hotel needs to participate with Marriott's Bonvoy program with 99+% of all Marriott hotels do.
EdV likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, ANA SFC, Bonvoy Ambassador (former SPG 75), Shangri-La Diamond
Got the new card today. I requested a replacement for damaged cards on Amex's website. The card feels like crap. No heft at all for a metal card. Worse than the PRG, plastics on both sides and metal in the middle.

Anyone knows if there is a non-contactless version of this metal card? Probably would feel better in the hand than this. DK if Amex offers it but if they do I will probably go for it.

Can't post a photo because I don't have 5 posts here on flyertalk.. Oh well

EDIT: After playing around with it I feel more like it is a layer of thin plastic coating in the front. But still feels plastic to the touch, and much lighter than PRG or Plat that Amex offers.

Last edited by deathwatch; Apr 3, 2019 at 10:26 am Reason: updates
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by deathwatch
Got the new card today. I requested a replacement for damaged cards on Amex's website. The card feels like crap. No heft at all for a metal card.
What possible reason could anyone care what the card feels like?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, ANA SFC, Bonvoy Ambassador (former SPG 75), Shangri-La Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What possible reason could anyone care what the card feels like?
I mean why would anyone care what their car feels like when driving? Why would anyone pay a premium for anything? The cheapest one will always do.

I just thought this is the cheapest feeling metal card I have ever gotten. If you don't care fine but do you really have to reply to me? I am pretty sure there is a thread on flyertalk talking about the 2 versions of amex plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.