Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Horace
Marriott Chase Visa accounts have long had 15 elite qualifying nights as an annual benefit. The nights would post several weeks after the card renewal date.

I assume the new SPG Amex cards will work the same way.
Originally Posted by myko85
I have 4 of the Marriott cards. 3 AMEX (old spg, biz spg, and the spg lux) and the Marriott Visa card. None of them have posted the 15 nights yet. Go Marriott IT.
​​​​​​​I can't speak to the Chase cards but the Amex T&C are pretty clear about when this will happen.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platnium Premier, Marco Polo Silver, United Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​​​I can't speak to the Chase cards but the Amex T&C are pretty clear about when this will happen.
Maybe I didn't read it... but Amex when I called didn't seem to know either and just gave me random answers ... like marriott knows... or you will get it after the next statement date (which has gone and passed and no credit).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by stariooooo
Maybe I didn't read it... but Amex when I called didn't seem to know either and just gave me random answers ... like marriott knows... or you will get it after the next statement date (which has gone and passed and no credit).
I'm interested too, so I just looked online.

The key phrase is "on or before March 1" but the first year depends on when you opened the account.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...#benefit-terms

This is different than how Chase Visa does. With chase, the timing of the 15 elite nights is based on the anniversary of the card (and then you're still supposed to allow 8 weeks).

As already noted, you can only get the 15 elite nights once per calendar year, even with multiple cards.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
I'm interested too, so I just looked online.

The key phrase is "on or before March 1" but the first year depends on when you opened the account.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...#benefit-terms

This is different than how Chase Visa does. With chase, the timing of the 15 elite nights is based on the anniversary of the card (and then you're still supposed to allow 8 weeks).

As already noted, you can only get the 15 elite nights once per calendar year, even with multiple cards.
Just for the record, my Chase Marriott Biz card has not posted the 15 nights yet. I applied for the card for a January 2nd anniversary date which has posted in past years, but not this one yet.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by joeags
Just for the record, my Chase Marriott Biz card has not posted the 15 nights yet. I applied for the card for a January 2nd anniversary date which has posted in past years, but not this one yet.
Same for my personal "classic" Chase Marriott Visa with a January 8th anniversary date.

In previous years the 15 elite nights credit and free night certificate both posted on the anniversary date. The 2019 free night certificate has posted, but not the elite nights credit.
kevin4lee likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I upgraded to the SPG Luxury Card with the $5k/100k bonus several weeks ago. Two questions about that bonus:

1) Does the $5k target include purchases that were rebated by the $300 Marriott annual credit and various Amex promotional credits, or is the $5k figure net of these rebates?

2) How soon after reaching the $5k target do the points post? Past Amex signup offers seem to have posted quickly after hitting the target, not waiting until the next statement date (a la Chase).
Was this from SPG Amex to the SPG Luxury Card? I am looking for an upgrade offer.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:20 pm

I just finished a chat with Amex to confirm the T&C language:
"You cannot receive enrollment in Platinum Elite status through this reward program if you are already enrolled at Platinum Elite status or any higher status."
I am betting this language is not what they intended. I am currently platinum from 2018 stays, and I'm trying to figure out if I should just let my status expire back to lifetime gold at the end of the year, or just take a chance that I will get another year of platinum once I hit $75k spend this year. It would nice to confirm if anyone with existing platinum status has been able to extend that status with just the $75k spend on this card. I know we have confirmed it will give platinum status for someone without that status, but I haven't been able to confirm this adds another year of platinum to existing platinum members.

Edit: Amex referred me to SPG because they said they make the call on this, and SPG said it was just bad language from Amex. SPG CSR said you get the platinum status if you spend the $75k.

Last edited by Newgene; Jan 26, 2019 at 1:33 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
if you cancel the SPG Luxury card after 75Kspend and Plat. status, do you get to keep the plat status for the full year?

Thanks for any replies.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:15 pm

Assume more than 30 days has passed...

I can get a Amex SPG bonus and then a Chase Marriott bonus, right?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Newgene
I
Edit: Amex referred me to SPG because they said they make the call on this, and SPG said it was just bad language fro m Amex. SPG CSR said you get the platinum status if you spend the $75k.
That’s the way it worked in the past with the $30k=Gold so it’s reasonable to continue that way since it gift of status.

on the other hand I’m really not sure why you’d do iit? Unless you had so much spending that lost opportunity cost didn’t matter. I hold Marriott points to be st least as valuable as UR or MR points, see my post above, but there are a couple cards you can 1.5-2 UR or MR points per $, to me that’s 1.5 to 2 airline miles where as AmEx Spg Lux is 5/6 of a mile (with the 5k bonus). That’s st least an extra 75k airline miles a year putting the spending on the AmEx SPag lux instead of other options. What your getting is only an increase in hotel spend from 1.25 to 1.5 and Hotel breakfast which in most cases there are alternatives to. I mean, with 15 EQN and one annual 50k night it’s only 34 nights that you need for Plat. How much are benefits worth that sre you getting from Plat stunts with less than 34 nights. Sure it could at most be 70 breakfasts and if you average $200/night maybe 1,700 more Marriott points but your forgoing what could be 150k points that could be that many airline miles. It’s a different story if the $75k is hotel spending but it’s difficult to think how you could spend that and not organically get enough nights for Pkat.
bizum likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Newgene
It would nice to confirm if anyone with existing platinum status has been able to extend that status with just the $75k spend on this card.
I noticed the same language and yes I can confirm that you can extend under this scenario. Not sure if that was a case of incorrect description or something else
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by bizum
I noticed the same language and yes I can confirm that you can extend under this scenario. Not sure if that was a case of incorrect description or something else
thanks
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:52 am
Suspended

Does the $300 annual Marriott credit count for advance purchase room reservations? or does it have to be paid at checkout? Solid data points please, no guessing.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Does the $300 annual Marriott credit count for advance purchase room reservations? or does it have to be paid at checkout? Solid data points please, no guessing.
It can be a prepaid reservation. I had it applied to a Ritz-Carlton reservation requiring a deposit months prior to the stay.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:36 pm

As a data point, I had some of the $300 credit left over with the anniversary coming up soon and purchased a gift card from Marriott. The transaction showed as "Marriott Gift Card.". Regardless, I received the 6x points and the credit from Amex.
nexusCFX likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.