Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Reply

Old Aug 23, 18, 6:55 pm
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Explorist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,331
Originally Posted by grt2106 View Post
Hilton Gives Diamond Status.

I can't see why I'd stick with Starwood for a premium card.

Marriott Rewards Gold is pathetic.
Worse than the old SPG Gold and Worse than old Marriott Gold.
Hilton has the weakest top tier benefits, so if you donít want to do but in bed nights with Marriott or Hyatt or
whatever, that is your compromise
UA-NYC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:03 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Posts: 285
My wife got 100k upgrade offer too. 2nd year of the card. ~10k/yr. Upgraded. Just very curious what/when will we get for the anniversary night. Original anniversary will be early Nov. Many banks will reset the anniversary. But based on T&C, maybe not for this upgrade.

Annual Membership Fee: Approximately 45 days after your account is upgraded, you will be charged a prorated Annual Membership Fee for your new Card based on the time remaining until your next account anniversary date. You will also receive a prorated refund for any annual fee paid on your previous Card.
khlay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:04 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: SPG-PPE+Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-Gold
Posts: 1,451
Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
cfischer exactly right. I have been spending 100K for ten years and all they are offering me is 15,000 points.
Not!
Very frustrating. I'm in the same boat, and my upgrade offer was 0. I called to say I was disappointed and was going to cancel if they wouldn't match the highest upgrade offer. I'm sure its a long shot, but thought it was worth a try to see if there was anything they could do.
spgplat21 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:06 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 578
Received offer for 50k. Spend around $350k annually.

After I registered it says I should be getting card in 7-10 days. But didnít receive email confirmation.

Did you get a email confirmation?
globaltrotter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:10 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by globaltrotter View Post
Received offer for 50k. Spend around $350k annually.

After I registered it says I should be getting card in 7-10 days. But didnít receive email confirmation.

Did you get a email confirmation?
Not yet. (~ an hour)
khlay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:14 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 813
No email. Cs told me just to keep usong old card
SHLTP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:22 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco & London
Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
Posts: 1,386
Originally Posted by kapooncha View Post
You shouldn't but that language is fairly new. And I'm not yet sure if we have any data points for people who applied even after seeing that warning pop-up message. Would be interested in finding out if that's a bluff from AMEX or the real deal.
applied and approved, will report back if we got the bonus.

my wife already has the Ritz Carlton card
navatwal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:30 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Posts: 256
So I am confused. I have the personal SPG Amex, and have had it for several years. Was offered 15k to upgrade to Luxury SPG Amex.

My question is can I just apply for the Luxury SPG Amex to get the 100k new card offer as a new cardholder, and then cancel my old SPG personal Amex after receiving the luxury card? More importantly, if I do that, will I still get the 100k sign up offer?
kavok is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:31 pm
  #54  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 39,639
I don't have an upgrade offer per se, but when logged into my existing personal SPG account, the website invites me to apply for the 100k bonus. I may click through just to see what happens.

Apart from the bonus points, the added benefits of this card are pretty slim.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:34 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by kavok View Post
So I am confused. I have the personal SPG Amex, and have had it for several years. Was offered 15k to upgrade to Luxury SPG Amex.

My question is can I just apply for the Luxury SPG Amex to get the 100k new card offer as a new cardholder, and then cancel my old SPG personal Amex after receiving the luxury card? More importantly, if I do that, will I still get the 100k sign up offer?
Just go ahead. The application page will let you know if you are eligible for the bonus or not. If not, you have an option to withdraw the application. Great feature.
khlay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:36 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA Plat, AS 75k, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz somthingorother
Posts: 305
Originally Posted by khlay View Post
My wife got 100k upgrade offer too. 2nd year of the card. ~10k/yr. Upgraded. Just very curious what/when will we get for the anniversary night. Original anniversary will be early Nov. Many banks will reset the anniversary. But based on T&C, maybe not for this upgrade.

Annual Membership Fee: Approximately 45 days after your account is upgraded, you will be charged a prorated Annual Membership Fee for your new Card based on the time remaining until your next account anniversary date. You will also receive a prorated refund for any annual fee paid on your previous Card.
Could you report back when you find out if they reset the anniversary? I got the 100k upgrade offer, but my current anniversary is in September, so it might make sense to wait if upgrading would mean I miss out on a cert altogether this year...
zymm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:40 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LAX
Posts: 215
I'm not debating the top tiers of the Marriott Program.
I am in the minority here as I do not ever travel for work. Hitting 75 hotel nights a year is never going to happen.

My point, in sticking to the thread, is that AMEX offers both a Hilton and a SPG Card at the Luxury Level.
Hilton gives Diamond which upgrades to Suites, has Lounge Access, and Includes Breakfast.
Marriott via SPG gives Gold level which has none of these things.

One is a superior offer.
grt2106 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:59 pm
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Explorist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,331
Originally Posted by grt2106 View Post
I'm not debating the top tiers of the Marriott Program.
I am in the minority here as I do not ever travel for work. Hitting 75 hotel nights a year is never going to happen.

My point, in sticking to the thread, is that AMEX offers both a Hilton and a SPG Card at the Luxury Level.
Hilton gives Diamond which upgrades to Suites, has Lounge Access, and Includes Breakfast.
Marriott via SPG gives Gold level which has none of these things.

One is a superior offer.
Yes. Diamond card from Hilton is a superior offer for people like you.

For a lot of us, who have hundreds or thousands of nights of SPG/MR status, we are happy that Marriott is not giving away top tier status for basically free w/ a CC!
Kacee and andersonCooper like this.
UA-NYC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 8:16 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
I have the old Marriott card for over 3 years (one free night capped at 25k). Just applied and was approved for the SPG personal today (75k sign up bonus + one free night capped at 35k). Could I apply for the luxury and get another annual free night (capped at 50k)? I am doing all this before August 26, would I be eligible for both the SPG sign up bonuses and the free nights? I am getting contradicting answers from different blogs...
calculus1918 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 18, 8:24 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Posts: 225
Pointed out by a reader over at OMAAT, a limitation on the '$75K spend for Platinum' benefit.

The relevant text from the T&Cs:

You cannot receive enrollment in Platinum Elite status through this reward program if you are already enrolled at Platinum Elite status or any higher status.

Full T&Cs

Glad to know this before applying.
miles4CDG is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread