Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by grt2106
Hilton Gives Diamond Status.

I can't see why I'd stick with Starwood for a premium card.

Marriott Rewards Gold is pathetic.
Worse than the old SPG Gold and Worse than old Marriott Gold.
Hilton has the weakest top tier benefits, so if you don’t want to do but in bed nights with Marriott or Hyatt or
whatever, that is your compromise
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:03 pm

My wife got 100k upgrade offer too. 2nd year of the card. ~10k/yr. Upgraded. Just very curious what/when will we get for the anniversary night. Original anniversary will be early Nov. Many banks will reset the anniversary. But based on T&C, maybe not for this upgrade.

Annual Membership Fee: Approximately 45 days after your account is upgraded, you will be charged a prorated Annual Membership Fee for your new Card based on the time remaining until your next account anniversary date. You will also receive a prorated refund for any annual fee paid on your previous Card.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by jmj9905
cfischer exactly right. I have been spending 100K for ten years and all they are offering me is 15,000 points.
Not!
Very frustrating. I'm in the same boat, and my upgrade offer was 0. I called to say I was disappointed and was going to cancel if they wouldn't match the highest upgrade offer. I'm sure its a long shot, but thought it was worth a try to see if there was anything they could do.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:06 pm

Received offer for 50k. Spend around $350k annually.

After I registered it says I should be getting card in 7-10 days. But didn’t receive email confirmation.

Did you get a email confirmation?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by globaltrotter
Received offer for 50k. Spend around $350k annually.

After I registered it says I should be getting card in 7-10 days. But didn’t receive email confirmation.

Did you get a email confirmation?
Not yet. (~ an hour)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
No email. Cs told me just to keep usong old card
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by kapooncha
You shouldn't but that language is fairly new. And I'm not yet sure if we have any data points for people who applied even after seeing that warning pop-up message. Would be interested in finding out if that's a bluff from AMEX or the real deal.
applied and approved, will report back if we got the bonus.

my wife already has the Ritz Carlton card
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
So I am confused. I have the personal SPG Amex, and have had it for several years. Was offered 15k to upgrade to Luxury SPG Amex.

My question is can I just apply for the Luxury SPG Amex to get the 100k new card offer as a new cardholder, and then cancel my old SPG personal Amex after receiving the luxury card? More importantly, if I do that, will I still get the 100k sign up offer?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't have an upgrade offer per se, but when logged into my existing personal SPG account, the website invites me to apply for the 100k bonus. I may click through just to see what happens.

Apart from the bonus points, the added benefits of this card are pretty slim.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by kavok
So I am confused. I have the personal SPG Amex, and have had it for several years. Was offered 15k to upgrade to Luxury SPG Amex.

My question is can I just apply for the Luxury SPG Amex to get the 100k new card offer as a new cardholder, and then cancel my old SPG personal Amex after receiving the luxury card? More importantly, if I do that, will I still get the 100k sign up offer?
Just go ahead. The application page will let you know if you are eligible for the bonus or not. If not, you have an option to withdraw the application. Great feature.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by khlay
My wife got 100k upgrade offer too. 2nd year of the card. ~10k/yr. Upgraded. Just very curious what/when will we get for the anniversary night. Original anniversary will be early Nov. Many banks will reset the anniversary. But based on T&C, maybe not for this upgrade.

Annual Membership Fee: Approximately 45 days after your account is upgraded, you will be charged a prorated Annual Membership Fee for your new Card based on the time remaining until your next account anniversary date. You will also receive a prorated refund for any annual fee paid on your previous Card.
Could you report back when you find out if they reset the anniversary? I got the 100k upgrade offer, but my current anniversary is in September, so it might make sense to wait if upgrading would mean I miss out on a cert altogether this year...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:40 pm

I'm not debating the top tiers of the Marriott Program.
I am in the minority here as I do not ever travel for work. Hitting 75 hotel nights a year is never going to happen.

My point, in sticking to the thread, is that AMEX offers both a Hilton and a SPG Card at the Luxury Level.
Hilton gives Diamond which upgrades to Suites, has Lounge Access, and Includes Breakfast.
Marriott via SPG gives Gold level which has none of these things.

One is a superior offer.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by grt2106
I'm not debating the top tiers of the Marriott Program.
I am in the minority here as I do not ever travel for work. Hitting 75 hotel nights a year is never going to happen.

My point, in sticking to the thread, is that AMEX offers both a Hilton and a SPG Card at the Luxury Level.
Hilton gives Diamond which upgrades to Suites, has Lounge Access, and Includes Breakfast.
Marriott via SPG gives Gold level which has none of these things.

One is a superior offer.
Yes. Diamond card from Hilton is a superior offer for people like you.

For a lot of us, who have hundreds or thousands of nights of SPG/MR status, we are happy that Marriott is not giving away top tier status for basically free w/ a CC!
Kacee and andersonCooper like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:16 pm

I have the old Marriott card for over 3 years (one free night capped at 25k). Just applied and was approved for the SPG personal today (75k sign up bonus + one free night capped at 35k). Could I apply for the luxury and get another annual free night (capped at 50k)? I am doing all this before August 26, would I be eligible for both the SPG sign up bonuses and the free nights? I am getting contradicting answers from different blogs...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Pointed out by a reader over at OMAAT, a limitation on the '$75K spend for Platinum' benefit.

The relevant text from the T&Cs:

You cannot receive enrollment in Platinum Elite status through this reward program if you are already enrolled at Platinum Elite status or any higher status.

Full T&Cs

Glad to know this before applying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.