Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:03 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goldenbear
That website only says there is not a ‘no annual fee’ downgrade option. It does not say anything about a downgrade to the regular SPG card.
That may be my misunderstanding then. I didn't realize there was a no-annual fee Amex SPG card.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hhoope01
That may be my misunderstanding then. I didn't realize there was a no-annual fee Amex SPG card.
There is the common $95/yr SPG but not a no annual fee SPG. But my thinking is that the $95 card does provide a viable downgrade path from the Luxury Card. Just not a free one.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Has anyone tried using this card for one of the marriet owned property buffets in Las Vegas like the Wicked Spoon in the Cosmopolitan?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by happyvoid
Has anyone tried using this card for one of the marriet owned property buffets in Las Vegas like the Wicked Spoon in the Cosmopolitan?
I'm sure they accept AMEX.

If you were trying to ask whether it will count for the annual $300 credit, I tend to doubt it, my guess would be that their charges appear as the buffet and not the property. If the Cosmo counts for the credit, and you were staying there, charging it to the room would be the way I'd do it. this apparently does work, see post 559.

Last edited by Zorak; Dec 23, 2018 at 6:49 pm Reason: edited in light of an actual data point
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:42 am

Now that this has been going for a few months, can anyone confirm if the platinum status from $75k counts toward lifetime platinum status? The T&C’s seem to to contradict this even if that doesn’t make much sense to do that. I’m platinum premiere through the end of next year, and lifetime gold. Because I’m 7 years as platinum, I wonder if this can help me knock out my last 3 years needed.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Offered 125,000 points and only got 75,000 points

i received a mail offer to sign up for the SPG Lux card for 125,000 bonus points, i signed up based on that offer, but now I only received 75,000 bonus points in my SPG account. Any suggestions on how to request the additional 50,000 points?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:14 am

Are there any upgrade offers out there currently if I have the SPG original personal card?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by points_maniac
i received a mail offer to sign up for the SPG Lux card for 125,000 bonus points, i signed up based on that offer, but now I only received 75,000 bonus points in my SPG account. Any suggestions on how to request the additional 50,000 points?
contact Amex? Were there conditions for the 125k? Was it 75k + 50k for hitting certain thresholds?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Has anyone used an Amex offer in conjunction with their $300 Marriott credit? I have an Amex offer for Springhill Suites and Four Points. Both give $40 back if I spend $200 or more.

If I have a room bill for $200, will I use $200 of the $300 credit and get a $40 statement credit against other charges? Or will I just use $160 of the $300 credit?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, I searched this thread, but nothing came up.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Newgene
Now that this has been going for a few months, can anyone confirm if the platinum status from $75k counts toward lifetime platinum status? The T&C’s seem to to contradict this even if that doesn’t make much sense to do that. I’m platinum premiere through the end of next year, and lifetime gold. Because I’m 7 years as platinum, I wonder if this can help me knock out my last 3 years needed.
Yes - my lifetime plat years went up 1 when my Plat status was granted this year via the $75K credit card spend on an upgraded luxury card.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Blind and Green
Has anyone used an Amex offer in conjunction with their $300 Marriott credit? I have an Amex offer for Springhill Suites and Four Points. Both give $40 back if I spend $200 or more.

If I have a room bill for $200, will I use $200 of the $300 credit and get a $40 statement credit against other charges? Or will I just use $160 of the $300 credit?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, I searched this thread, but nothing came up.
I thought I had a data point for you, but it turns out I'd already maxed out the annual $300 credit before the stay where I triggered an AMEX offer, so the short answer is I don't know.

But for both the annual credit and AMEX offers, the full amount of the charge is posted, and then you get a statement credit, so my guess it that they would both be applied independently. So in your scenario, I believe you would get reimbursed $200 from the annual credit and then also see a separate $40 credit for the AMEX offer, but it's just a guess.

Hope you'll report back either way

This reminds me though, that there doesn't appear to be a way to track how much of the credit you've used online, the only way to know is to go through your statements and add up what you've used and see what's left. I did a CS chat and they said even they don't have it in one handy place and they would have to go through your account also. I suggested a feature-request for the web team and mentioned that a certain competitor's card keeps track of their $300 annual credit for you online... they said they'd submit it for consideration
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:06 am

Yes, I completed that task about 2 weeks after the card released. I posted if you search by my post.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Werty7777
Yes, I completed that task about 2 weeks after the card released. I posted if you search by my post.
^ here's a link for convenience: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30214888
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by happyvoid
I used the card twice at the Cosmo last year, once at the Wicked Spoon and once at the Henry. These were of course well before the upgrade, but they did trigger the bonus Marriott earning, so I would imagine they would also trigger the credits.

Yes, I have. I had a Sheraton stay back in September when there was an SPG offer at the time, and both the $60 Amex offer credit posted, as well as the $300.

PS. If anyone is wondering if these offers work on multiple stays, it appears that they do; it just appears to take much longer. I had a Ren and CY stay in October, that together were over $300 but individually did not total up to the Marriott offer amount that was going on at the time, so I figured the stays weren't eligible and I forgot about it, but I just received a $60 credit for it a few days ago.
Blind and Green likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.