Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver
SPG Luxury card Plat status upgrade at $75k spend issue.

So I spent the $75k, have a handful of upcoming reservations and was looking forward to enjoying my upgrade from Gold to Plat.

I called Amex to check on how long it would tak to get my status updated. Figured at most it was one billing cycle. Of course they told me Marriott is the delay and it’s up to them as to when they update the status on their end. They checked and came back and told me the quoted time was 3 to 4 months!!! Wait what?

I’m pretty disappointed in Marriott. There is no logical reason for this. I feel it’s pretty misleading as well.

Anyone have any any suggestions on expediting this?

(Taken directly from Amex site small print)

Allow 12-16 weeks from the time your total eligible purchases reach $75,000 for your enrollment in Platinum Elite status to become effective.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegoElite
So I spent the $75k, have a handful of upcoming reservations and was looking forward to enjoying my upgrade from Gold to Plat.

I called Amex to check on how long it would tak to get my status updated. Figured at most it was one billing cycle. Of course they told me Marriott is the delay and it’s up to them as to when they update the status on their end. They checked and came back and told me the quoted time was 3 to 4 months!!! Wait what?

I’m pretty disappointed in Marriott. There is no logical reason for this. I feel it’s pretty misleading as well.

Anyone have any any suggestions on expediting this?

Allow 12-16 weeks from the time your total eligible purchases reach $75,000 for your enrollment in Platinum Elite status to become effective.
Welcome to the club. I have been complaining about this for a month. I lodged a formal complaint but I'm sure no one cares. I'm sure Marriott feels they have already over extended vis a vis their elites and are in damage control mode.

I had to laugh as my wife, who really doesn't keep up with the SPG news (or care), was on hold for 30 minutes trying to change a reservation for a legacy SPG property yesterday.

Her quote, "You know, Marriott customer service really sucks!". Finally, something we can agree on....
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Welcome to the club. I have been complaining about this for a month. I lodged a formal complaint but I'm sure no one cares. I'm sure Marriott feels they have already over extended vis a vis their elites and are in damage control mode.

I had to laugh as my wife, who really doesn't keep up with the SPG news (or care), was on hold for 30 minutes trying to change a reservation for a legacy SPG property yesterday.

Her quote, "You know, Marriott customer service really sucks!". Finally, something we can agree on....
Sorry to hear that. Is there a Marriott Rep in here like there was an SPG one before? I do feel like 3-4 months is absurd and the offer is misleading.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

Even as a Plat Premier Ambassador guest with no stake in this issue, I think that’s utterly preposterous! Waiting 3-4 months to be elevated to Platinum status after spending $75K as indicated is a joke.

I can only recommend a new petition thread here on FlyerTalk specific to this issue in order to gain support on the ridiculousness of the delay to be granted Platinum status and to therefore put appropriate pressure on Marriott to fix this. This was the approach taken by SPG Lifetime Platinums in order to be matched to the new Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier status, and it worked: Marriott heard the voices from so many Lifetime SPG Plats and modified its policy. Perhaps Marriott (and Amex) will hear the voices from so many SPG Luxury cardholders that it will address this ridiculous delay.
miles4CDG and SanDiegoElite like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold
Agree - I'm one of the people also waiting to be upgraded to Platinum. 3-4 months is silly for something that should be very easy.

Has anyone who 'upgraded' from the old card to to the Luxury card received their 50K free-night certificate? My upgraded card anniversary date was several weeks ago and I still dont have the certificate... or Platinum... Or the new card design (not that I care on this point). I upgraded on day 3 of the luxury card launch. (the only positive i can say, I did receive the $300 credit against Marriott spend).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I had seen the 100k upgrade offer with an expiration date of 10/31 when logging into my account, but hadn't pulled the trigger. Now it's been replaced by a 50k offer :-(

I called and was told that nothing could be done.

Am I SOL or are there potential avenues to get the 100k offer? Any suggestions appreciated
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by nobody2
Agree - I'm one of the people also waiting to be upgraded to Platinum. 3-4 months is silly for something that should be very easy.

Has anyone who 'upgraded' from the old card to to the Luxury card received their 50K free-night certificate? My upgraded card anniversary date was several weeks ago and I still dont have the certificate... or Platinum... Or the new card design (not that I care on this point). I upgraded on day 3 of the luxury card launch. (the only positive iI upgraded but got a 35K can say, I did receive the $300 credit against Marriott spend).
I upgraded and see a 35k certificate in my account so pretty confused.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Even as a Plat Premier Ambassador guest with no stake in this issue, I think that’s utterly preposterous! Waiting 3-4 months to be elevated to Platinum status after spending $75K as indicated is a joke.

I can only recommend a new petition thread here on FlyerTalk specific to this issue in order to gain support on the ridiculousness of the delay to be granted Platinum status and to therefore put appropriate pressure on Marriott to fix this. This was the approach taken by SPG Lifetime Platinums in order to be matched to the new Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier status, and it worked: Marriott heard the voices from so many Lifetime SPG Plats and modified its policy. Perhaps Marriott (and Amex) will hear the voices from so many SPG Luxury cardholders that it will address this ridiculous delay.
Is a petition thread the same as just starting a new thread or is there something specific you would need todo? Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Is a petition thread the same as just starting a new thread or is there something specific you would need todo? Thanks!
No it’s just another thread. I’d recommend taking a look at the protest petition thread about the Lifetime Plat Premier status, though it may now have been merged into another thread (I’m not sure).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I had seen the 100k upgrade offer with an expiration date of 10/31 when logging into my account, but hadn't pulled the trigger. Now it's been replaced by a 50k offer :-(

Am I SOL or are there potential avenues to get the 100k offer? Any suggestions appreciated
There are plenty of reports in this thread of similar offer downgrades. Like any offer, until you accept it ... it is just an offer that is subject to change. It sucks, but if you already tried negotiating w/ Amex and they said 'no' the best IMO you can do is wait and hope for a better offer later.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

See if you got an email. Mine got changed to 50k but I had an email with the 100k RSVP code and upgraded through it. I made sure to save the T&Cs that have no language about holding the Ritz card and confirm the 100k bonus.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by bcoco8
I upgraded to this card as soon as it became available and have not had the annual fee charged yet. My renewal was Nov 17 last year. I just got a letter from AMEX today saying "When you recently transferred Card products, we sent you information about the Annual Membership Fee for your new Card. However, after reviewing your account, we have decided to retain your current Annual Membership Fee on your account at this time." Anyone else get this? Why are they being so generous?
Generally this happens when a front line rep at AMEX mistakenly upgrades a card member within the first year to a card with a higher annual fee. This is against the credit card act and the company, AMEX, could get in trouble in the event the you argued that they increased the A/F in the first year. It's kind of a far fetched argument but both AMEX and Chase have taken an ultra conservative route as to the interpretation of the regulations. Did you happen to upgrade prior to the 365 day mark since you opened the account?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
Generally this happens when a front line rep at AMEX mistakenly upgrades a card member within the first year to a card with a higher annual fee. This is against the credit card act and the company, AMEX, could get in trouble in the event the you argued that they increased the A/F in the first year. It's kind of a far fetched argument but both AMEX and Chase have taken an ultra conservative route as to the interpretation of the regulations. Did you happen to upgrade prior to the 365 day mark since you opened the account?
No, I've had the account for years.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:14 am

I upgraded and see a 35k certificate in my account so pretty confused.
I have 2 business cards and the luxury card all of which have their anniversary this month. Where would I find these certificates if they are indeed available? How long after your anniversary did they post?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: WN A+CP, UAL, Marriott LTPPE
Please help me understand - I have a 100,000 point offer. Will these points go into my Marriott Rewards account automatically or do I need to transfer them? Also will they count towards my 2MM LT Rewards total. I am currently at 1,837,000 points so a 100,000 would be a huge bonus for me.
Thanks for any insight you might provide..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.